Neoair

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dan_K

Neoair

Post by Dan_K »

Hi all,

i've seen Snow and Rock have got Neoairs cheap at the minute (£50 for short). Seriously tempted but are they really that good and is the crinkly noise really annoying?

i've currently got an Alpkit Base 120 so would save around 300g and a slightly smaller pack size (23 x 11cm as opposed to 29 x 11cm).
pedalhead

Re: Neoair

Post by pedalhead »

I've tried a few & find the Neoair the most comfortable (I have a short and a regular). Crinkle noise isn't an issue for me, I think it gets overstated. Inflation level is crucial to comfort on the Neoair...less air required than you think :-)
bod

Post by bod »

Yup,
What Mark said. If you over inflate you'll tend to roll of it, less air makes it even more comfortable. I don't sleep with a pillow, just my ear next to the material and it's not that noisy. I find it a bit cooler than other Thermarests which is mostly an advantage seeing as I hardly ever camp when it's close to zero, the new warmer ones are getting closer to the weight of a self-inflating version, not ideal for a weight weenie like me.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I've never ever found my Neoair crinkly (they are btw) because it's the last thing to worry about when tired and going to sleep in a bag on a hill in the rain
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Not sure what model packsize that is for, but my I fold my regular in half lengthways then roll it up and it's about 25cm x 7cm.

I too have a regular and short and like them, I think they are the ideal balance of weight/comfort/size/cost.

The crinkling isn't really noticable when on it and certainly shouldn't be a deciding factor.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Anthony wrote:Not sure what model packsize that is for, but my I fold my regular in half lengthways then roll it up and it's about 25cm x 7cm.

I too have a regular and short and like them, I think they are the ideal balance of weight/comfort/size/cost.

The crinkling isn't really noticable when on it and certainly shouldn't be a deciding factor.
Cheers everyone.
Brain dead when I was typing earlier! 25x7 is what I should have typed. Guess for 50 quid it's worth a punt. I'll call in at snow and rock over the weekend.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

At that price, I ve ordered one to replace my 15 year old Themarest S/L.....its only a matter of time before it lets me down.......Thanks for the heads up Dan. :)
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Dan, the £50 one will be the 'Short' and will pack much smaller, about 17x6cm if folded into 3rds before rolling.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Just been delivered!! I nearly told the postie it cannot be my mattress its was too small...... I cannot belive how thick it is.....anyone broken one yet ????????
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

I have a long and fold it into thirds before rolling.. it goes nicely into a Tangle Bag at present.

Not noticed the crinkly effect at night either... it is the best sleeping pad I've had in terms of comfort but it went over a very thin closed cell foam mat at Mach'n'Back as I was aiming to campled high and knew it was going to be a bit Baltic that night, so I'm not sure how much insulation it would have given on it's own.

I still have 23 year old Thermarest that I bought in the US in 1989 that is still going strong and has never been patched/repaired (but it was never used on the Skye Ridge unlike some I know :) )
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
bod

Post by bod »

[quote=.anyone broken one yet ????????[/quote]
Yup, I've got a mystery puncture on one of mine, tried to sort it twice but just can't be arsed now as I use my short one all the time. Be aware they need special patches compared to the other Thermarests which look suspiciously like large Park patches...