Magnifying Glass
No votes
Other (please specify)
3%

Total votes: 35
Zippy

Stove Starting

Post by Zippy »

How do you light your stove? If you could elaborate on stove type / fuel also.

Basically I have a flinty thing (small primus one) which I can make spark. I was able to get some big sparks off it, but I struggle to light meths stoves (and gas actually). Is it a technique thing? Should I just give up? etc.
I've seen others do it, so maybe a need a better flint?

blah blah blah, discuss. :-bd
NewRetroTom

Re: Stove Starting

Post by NewRetroTom »

I use a Light My Fire Scout thing to make sparks. Can easily light my MSR with this. It's burning liquid coleman fuel. I think meths may be less volatile and therefore harder to light, but gas should be easy.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've always struggled to see any benefit to flints over using a lighter. I understand that there's nothing to go wrong with a flint but it can be a real PITA at times and a little too much '3 cheers for Ray Mears' :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

I can pick my flint out of a puddle, wipe it on my t-shirt and it will still work perfectly. The same cannot be said for lighters. That is the advantage for me. Also they never run out of gas.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Light My Fire thing (magnesium (?) rod and steel):

Gas stove burners - easy, as expected.
Stu stoves (meths) - generally fine, occasionally send it flying. Operator error :roll:
Trangia burner - more awkward but not resorted to matches yet.

If it's cold it seems trickier, probably due to reduced volatility / vapour at the surface.

The LmF can send out a right shower of sparks which I think might help (more energy).

I like the simplicity and the lack of potential lighter / match / moisture issues but am no zealot. Whatever works and I have is just fine.

Much like changing tyres, always try to do it by hand but if my thumbs / technique isn't up to it then the tyre levers (or spoons :wink:) will come out.
Joshvegas

Post by Joshvegas »

Plenty of stuff to go wrong with a flintything. They dissolve which is mildy annoying when its all you have.

So generally a flintything maybe a lighter the wee long necked one but i have some weatherproof matches that live in my firstaid kit which i use if all else fails.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Lighter with a backup of lighters if needs be. Recently got a flint, so lighter then flint. MSR pocket rocket
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I'm with Stu on the flint front. My one had a really short cord joining it and it was nearly impossible. Even so, compared to a 30p lighter it's a faff. I also have some waterproof matches as a back up.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Two lighters for me.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm still trying to work out what the performance gains to keeping your flint in a puddle are :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I notice there's no option for battery and chewing gum wrapper.

Check YouTube for more information.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

ianfitz wrote:I notice there's no option for battery and chewing gum wrapper.

Check YouTube for more information.
Other please specify?

Yes, I suppose stabbing li-ion batteries would work... (Not checked YouTube yet mind)
Joshvegas

Post by Joshvegas »

s8tannorm wrote:I'm still trying to work out what the performance gains to keeping your flint in a puddle are :wink:
Me?

stuffed a damp buff into the top pocket of a rucksack and forgot about it.

Pulled it out a month or so later and it snapped on the first strike.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I use bog standard matches in a small waterproof pot. Small pice of sand paper in there to strike against if I can't find a dry stone.

My March bivvy was interesting when I realised I was down to my last match for morning coffee...
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

tend not to start a stove. more a fire box. potassium permanginate and glycerin supossitory. sounds ridiculous, but I am a pharmacist and so have a ready supply, and you can light anything including damp fuel. burns fiercely hot for a long time. esp if you add some old inner tube rubber.
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

Justchris wrote:tend not to start a stove. more a fire box. potassium permanginate and glycerin supossitory. sounds ridiculous, but I am a pharmacist and so have a ready supply, and you can light anything including damp fuel. burns fiercely hot for a long time. esp if you add some old inner tube rubber.
I suppose you could save space in the frame bag by storing them somewhere... else... :-bd

Always use a lighter, with some waterproof matches tucked away somewhere for emergencies. Gas stoves normally, but when having a wood fire will normally have regular matches along.
danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

Using a MSR Whisperlight International running on good old fashioned petrol. I know it far from being small or light, but it about as reliable as they come.
Adventures and Photography Blog: danielgroves.net/adventures-photography
Twitter: @danielsgroves
Instagram: @danielsgroves
Photography on Facebook: facebook.com/danielgrovesphotography
Photography on Instagram: @danielgrovesphotography
benp1

Post by benp1 »

All meths and gas stoves generally lit with a Blazer PB207 lighter, the original and best jet flame style lighter. It will light upside down so good for meths and esbit, also easy to get kindling going with it

(although I use the piezo ignition button on the jetboil)
benp1

Post by benp1 »

btw - for firesteel users (more specifically ferocium road users), keep the striker still and pull the rod, not the other way around

Flint is used with a firesteel made of iron, which usually needs something like charcloth or similar to be able to start a fire

I usually have a mini bic as backup, though I've never needed it
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

Justchris wrote:tend not to start a stove. more a fire box. potassium permanginate and glycerin supossitory. sounds ridiculous, but I am a pharmacist and so have a ready supply, and you can light anything including damp fuel. burns fiercely hot for a long time. esp if you add some old inner tube rubber.
That reads a bit like you just helped your self to your own pharmacy supplies, which I am sure you don't :grin:
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

Brothersmith wrote:
That reads a bit like you just helped your self to your own pharmacy supplies, which I am sure you don't :grin:
Only non ethical lines! Eg plasters and bandages!
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I tend to use a variety of cheapo refillable jet lighter. Available on Ebay for under a pond each.

Do need refilling fairly often but very effective and resistant to wind and rain.