Bike Advice (Switch from CX to MTB?)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Firmo

Bike Advice (Switch from CX to MTB?)

Post by Firmo »

At present, I don’t have a mountain bike. I do all my off-road stuff on a CX (On One Dirty Disco). I’m off riding some of the TransAndalus/TransMurciana MTB trails in June, and I am conscious that my CX isn’t going to be able to handle the technical stuff.

Especially on the technical downhill stuff, riding with drop bars is an awful experience; scary and I never feel comfortable. Its difficult to pull the brakes and maintain control!

So, I’m thinking of selling the CX and picking up a MTB. I ‘think’ I want something lightweight, carbon perhaps, around or under £1,500. The last MTB I had was a steel On One 456, and although I liked it, I found it too heavy on the sections when I needed to carry it.

I was looking at the Canyon Grand Canyon. Do you think this would be OK for bike-packing? Could I fit an Alpkit Possum in that triangle?

Am I looking at the right kind of bike? Or, should I just man-up and try and build my confidence on the CX? (I don’t really want to sell this bike, but if I need an MTB, it will have to go!)

Any advice is welcome…
Firmo
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Bike Advice (Switch from CX to MTB?)

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

IMO there's really no right or wrong answer here. The Canyon looks like a nice bike and it's certainly light enough @24lb and has a good spec'. There will be people wary of fitting luggage to a carbon frame but I think, as long as you apply liberal amounts of tape it shouldn't really be a problem.

In the VFM stakes it looks difficult to beat.

Oh, and riding a CX bike for long distances 'off road' is hard work :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The Boardman bikes appear good value for money - I know a few (club riders rather than someone who just "fancied a bike") who have Boardman road bikes and are happy with them.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

You could try raising the bars (steeper angled stem) and a set of flared drops (e.g. Salsa Woodchippers) to improve the ride experience before deciding to swap the CX?

I couldn't say whether it's the right tool for the job. If it were me I'd think hard about what bike you think you'd ride most "normally". This would dictate the compromise level.
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Do you NEED front suspension? That's where most of the weight is on a hardtail MTB, even with gears my Surly KM would only weight 1/2 a pound more than that canyon, but with a sus fork it would be 5 or more lbs more. Just run a 2.4" front tyre and a nice carbon fork? :wink:
Edit to add, I haven't actually answered your question, I'd say a MTB is much much nicer off road as someone who started on a CX bike like yours, just get a nice 29er :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'd echo Ben a little here.

Although my opinion of the Canyon ^ still holds true, if I were in your position right at this moment, I'd buy a Longitude frame set and use the remaining £1100 to build it into a great bike. Granted, it probably wouldn't be as light as the Canyon but it'd be tough and versitile. As I say, my opinion on the Canyon hasn't changed, this is just another option :wink:
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

I've a PX SLX (so the same or very similar bars) and wouldn't feel comfortable on anything too rough. However, I've also a gravel grinder franken-bike that feels a bit more stable - due to the PX/On-One Midge bars, which are flared. These bars would be a cheap experiment before you decided to sell the bike.
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

Borrow a bike. We all have at least one friend who a year or two ago spent a couple of grand on a bike and uses it twice a year. Figure out what works. Then sell and buy.

If you like carbon frames, I think on one lurchers are pretty good. Slx. Decent fork. Decent wheels. Cant go to wrong.

For your trip you can run a rigid fork easy, and I would if I was racing it. But I toured parts and was glad of some squish. If your going in june make sure you have capacity to carry 6+ liters of water. And a tent with a bug net. I fact forget a rigid. Hardtail or fullsus 29er. The recomended camp sites are excellent. Hostels are expensive for hostels and were often full. Sorry all I can write. Need to get back to work!
Dainiusd

Post by Dainiusd »

I would go with Canyon. Most of mid range Boardmans are just an ordinary Chinese frames sold with million% margin. Canyon's all frames are hi tech developed in house + they are cheaper comparing same spec other brand bikes.
Firmo

Post by Firmo »

Thanks for the input everyone. Much appreciated!!

I think I'll be opting for a MTB pretty soon, and the carbon Canyon seems to fit the bill.

I'll be putting my Dirty Disco up for sale soon. I believe its a size Medium, SRAM Red-equipped... so if it appeals to anyone, drop me a line :wink:

Firmo
Zoglug

Post by Zoglug »

s8tannorm wrote:I'd echo Ben a little here.

Although my opinion of the Canyon ^ still holds true, if I were in your position right at this moment, I'd buy a Longitude frame set and use the remaining £1100 to build it into a great bike. Granted, it probably wouldn't be as light as the Canyon but it'd be tough and versitile. As I say, my opinion on the Canyon hasn't changed, this is just another option :wink:
Sorry to derail the thread, but just wondered Stu, would you take the Longitude over the Stooge?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sorry to derail the thread, but just wondered Stu, would you take the Longitude over the Stooge?
Personally no I wouldn't. However, the Longitude is about as near as you can get to a dedicated bikepacking bike, so I thought it appropriate in this case.

My Stooge is becoming more 'bikepacky' by the day and IMO the frame suits the roll very well, although others may have a different opinion.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I'd love a Stooge. Sadly I'm on the list (and in the hole) for a Rooster.

:|
paramart

Post by paramart »

i have a scandal and stooge used both for bikepacking prefer the stooge personally,
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.