Lightweight pitch outer first tents?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JackT

Lightweight pitch outer first tents?

Post by JackT »

As enjoyed the windy night of the Ford Fiesta under my tiny tarp I was somewhat envious of John Russell, pitched next door to me, in his Alpkit tent, just the outer with a pole and a half seemed to weight not much more than large tarp with its poles. I gather they were a bunch of tents that Alpkit made but which didn't work so well and were sold off at a bargain price.

It made me think back to my first proper tent, a Phoenix Phreebooter. It too was outer pitched first so you could leave the inner behind and use it as a tarp. Lovely tent, and lightweight by the standards of 25 years ago.

What are the best current outer-pitch lightweight tents out there? Most light tents seem to be inner first. Outer first does seem to be a good option for those who can't decide between a tarp and a tent, as you essentially get both.
dlovett

Re: Lightweight pitch outer first tents?

Post by dlovett »

Very happy with my robens starlight 2. It survived the bbff weather fine, plus it's very warm and has lots of vents for warmer weather. You can also use it as a outer tent only, 1 pole, 4 pegs and two guy ropes.
Dave42w

Post by Dave42w »

I'd look very seriously at http://www.trekkertent.com/ the Stealth 1 and 2 look very good options.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Do you really want a tent or a tarptent? If the latter more possibilities open up.
SlowRide

Post by SlowRide »

I'm not sure if it'd be considered a true "outer-first" tent but the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 or UL2, both have a fast-fly option when pitching so you can sleep under just the fly and not deploy the tent body. One pole, a footprint, a couple stakes, and a fly. Fast Fly Weight: 1lb 4oz

I've slept many nights under the fast fly in mine and it's a really nice option, I have the Fly Creek UL2.
psling

Post by psling »

Still using my Phoenix Phreak (infact, used it at the FF) and indeed my Phoenix Phreeloader bivi bag!

Sorry, doesn't help with your question. As long as inner and outer can be separated, you don't just have to look at outer first tents. A lot of inner first styles could be used fly only too. Having said that, the weight of most inners is so negligible, if you're taking a tent you may as well take the whole thing. Or buy a tarp as well, they don't have to be expensive.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
chris n

Post by chris n »

Probably not considered lightweight any more but the Macpac Microlight is fly first (you normally pitch it with the inner attached - it's very quick to pitch) and can be used fly only. Plenty of space for one, a nice big door and good in the wind.
JackT

Post by JackT »

Very helpful replies, thanks.

Thinking back to the same era as the Phreebooter, the Saunders Spacepacker was another favourite, though I never had one myself. Single pole - though a long one - helps keep weight down. And it gives me excuse to post another classic tent ad! And made in Chigwell, bring it on! I think the design is similar to some of the lightweight Macpac tents I've seen here and there.

ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Terra nova laser or photon? I think they do a more heavyweight version under the wild country brand too. Maybe sold through sports direct?
benp1

Post by benp1 »

When I go walking.wildcamping with the dog I use a Mountain Laurel Designs Spinntex Mid, which is a Supermid made out of Spinnaker material. He settles much better in an enclosed shelter than a tarp.

its a floorless pyramid shelter, and its huge. I went away in December and 3 of us sat inside in the windy wet conditions and were able to eat, drink, be merry and play cards

I use walking poles to pitch it, the shelter alone weighs about 725g. Great piece of kit, I've used this on my own with the dog, or had 2 people and dog/kit inside comfortably. You could probably squeeze 4 in if desperate

Great space for the weight
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It might be worth taking a look at something like a Luxe Mini Peak. Single pole pyramid with a detatchable (1 person, although a 2p version is available) inner nest, lots of room, quick to pitch and like most pyramids will handle the weather pretty well.
May the bridges you burn light your way
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

+1 for a decent second-hand Saunders if you can get one... eBay is a good source. My sister and her husband have backpacked all over Scotland in all weathers and used to swear by Saunders until they were no longer available. The Jetpacker is a genuine (measured on my digital kitchen scales) 1.25kg, 1.5-man tent, and it packs up tiny.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Terra nova laser or photon? I think they do a more heavyweight version under the wild country brand too. Maybe sold through sports direct?
Ive got a TN Laser Comp 2 which is great to as a fly only pitch instead of my tarp if its going to be really wet, as it goes up in about a minute and without the inner there's heaps of room. It wasn't a lot of fun reattaching the inner it though. I didnt pay attention when I pulled it apart and had to email TN for some instructions on reassembly.
I'm just going outside ...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I still have a Spacepacker. The hanging loops and elastics could do with replacement but it's a cracking design of a tent.

The Scarp 1 I currently use has a similar layout and could be used outer-only.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

My vango helium can be pitched outer only - I think it only ways about 800gms without the inner.
scott of the woods

Post by scott of the woods »

s8tannorm wrote:It might be worth taking a look at something like a Luxe Mini Peak. Single pole pyramid with a detatchable (1 person, although a 2p version is available) inner nest, lots of room, quick to pitch and like most pyramids will handle the weather pretty well.
A+1 for the luxe tents, I use a sil peak hex, quick to set up think it weighs 550g without pole or pegs
danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

I can't recommend my Terra Nova Laser enough to people. Got the first version and love it to bits, and bought two more Terra Nova tents as a result.
Adventures and Photography Blog: danielgroves.net/adventures-photography
Twitter: @danielsgroves
Instagram: @danielsgroves
Photography on Facebook: facebook.com/danielgrovesphotography
Photography on Instagram: @danielgrovesphotography
flat_4

Post by flat_4 »

I had a mail shot from Alpkit today regarding their new lightweight tent - made me wonder if it was a replacement for the Delta I have. Not loads of info on it yet, but might be worth calling them to find out if it fits the bill?

https://www.alpkit.com/products/ordos-2
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

It appears to be inner-first pitch so doesn't meet the OPs requirements