Which solo use tarp? Tarp advice please

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dr Nick

Which solo use tarp? Tarp advice please

Post by Dr Nick »

Hi all,

Although not the lightest or the most compact when folded, I'm very pleased with my ex-dutch Army hooped bivvy, but want to complement it with a tarp for when the weather is less than great. I'm new to tarps -but have enjoyed perusing the web 'learning' about them - so would welcome some recommendations please.

This is for solo use, for when cooking and stting around just keeing dry when getting in and out of the bivvy etc. I've got some ali poles, from a now defunct tent I can use - so does any one have any recommendations?

It's my birthday just before Christmas and my wife has offered £40-£50 for a present of my choice so that's the broad budget, but could go a little higher if it's really worth it.

Thanks

Gratuitous pic of the bivvy when I first test pitched it in the back garden the summer before last... :grin:

Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...
Chew

Re: Which solo use tarp? Tarp advice please

Post by Chew »

Have a look at the Alpkit bicycle 3.5 or 7

Both are within your budget and will easily do what you're looking for.

Both can be used as a tarp on their own and the 7 is huge. If you had the 7 you wouldnt need your bivi at all.
composite

Post by composite »

I have a bicycle 3.5 and the Rig7. I mostly use the 3.5 although the 7 is good for when you know the weather will be bad as you can get the edges right down to the ground and still have plenty of headroom. For use with that bivi though I would definite say go for the 3.5 and just setup a standard "A frame" over the top.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As Chew and Composite have said, the bicycle 3.5 is a cracking tarp. The ID Siltarp1 is also worth a look, it's a little bit lighter than the bicycle but doesn't have the same number of mid-point ties, so doesn't offer quite the same number of pitching options ... NeedleSports had some on offer.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

Thanks all. that's really useful info. I've just emailed the url of this thread to my wife... :smile:
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...