Bivvy a month 2014 thread.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Chew

Re: Bivvy a month 2014 thread.

Post by Chew »

10/10

Cutting it down to the wire last night.

Short ride out after work (it was very warm last night) to check out a few things. Those comming to the Northern Bivi may want to take note of the below :wink:

Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Looks lovely Chew, hope I can make it.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Had two last minute trips out starting on sat with AW. We rode into the dark up to Burbage woods ( no longer a wood as its being ripped out) we did manage to find a spot to put up the tent. It was windy n very wet. Then I headed out with hux to meol prysgau bothy for Mon night. We again rode into the night n rain to get to the bothy which we had to ourselves! Total of 112miles, some new trails and four great days... No pics though as my SD card crashed :(
Ian

Post by Ian »

That's November ticked off. Bivvy down on the Gower, followed by a day of filming to hopefully put together my submission for the Video competition :-bd

Weather was a bit mixed. Sometimes sunny, others - when I was out on Oxwich and Rhosilli beaches with no cover - absolutely driving rain and hail :|
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

I made it 11/11 following last weekends bivvy at Newborough :cool:

Well chuffed I've made it this far. Fingers crossed I make it 12 with the rest of you at the Winter Bivvy :smile:
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 6

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

11/11 Braved the weather at the weekend to ride down through Charnwood Forest. Kept putting off leaving due to light rain and the forecast and eventually set off to ride North (forecast was better). Realised it was sun shining by now so headed back home collected maps and headed south on various bridleways and Sustrans paths finding some new ones which was the plan.

Headed up to Measham for a re supply and then found myself at Hicks Lodge under a canopy for the night. During the night it did rain and set off this morning in rain which it did most of the way home. About 130km all in and tested some kit while I was out.

Hopefully winter bivvy will be the final counter.
sillybigfella

Post by sillybigfella »

Trip to Claerddu bothy with Wotsits, Stu, Taylor, Adjustable Wench, and her two little un's.

Whiskey and cheese review to follow...
I’ve been abart a bit
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

11/11 for me.
As above.
Chew

Post by Chew »

11/11

Another late one, hoping for a weather window.

A few more new tracks ticked off my quest to ride everything within Calderdale. One good find and another to skip. I should pay more attention to the not cycling signs.

Trying stuff so you dont have to

Crossing over the moor the mist descended to the point where I could only see 10m in front of me. Not knowing if this was going to lift plan A was out of the window and time to find somewhere else to stop for the night. Theres not much tree cover around, but I headed for the only bit on the map I could find.

Cozy

Good night under the stars and a great sunrise, then back home via some more new tracks, and a spot of breakfast on the way.

Rude not to
Mart

Post by Mart »

Cake for breakfast :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
Chew

Post by Chew »

12/12 (or 36/36)

Good to meet everyone on the Winter Bivi.

Just recovering at home after the drenching and freezing winds on Sunday morning. Cutting the ride short was the sensible option and i'll see if I can get a refund on weather.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I've failed to hit 12/12 this year. I think i'm 9/12 so far but I stopped checking.

Efforts will be doubled next year :-)
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

12/12 on the Welsh winter bivi.

Roll on into next year then Chew?
Chew

Post by Chew »

Taylor wrote:Roll on into next then Chew?
Don't think I have any choice now. Its more a case of seeing which one of us cracks first :shock:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

12/12 this year ... although I think the actual tally of 'nights out' is around 30. Should hopefully get a couple more in before Christmas as I'm riding up to the Peak District next week and have a couple of detours planned :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I didn't get out in November :( ending a run of 38 months! I have done 20 odd nights out this year but that's not the point..

Was in Buxton today visiting friends and had snowed there but sadly not in Sheffield. Looking forwards to a snowy bivy soon
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Does it count if you don't actually stop?

Set off Monday afternoon for a. ride to the Peak District. Carrying all I needed to stop and bivvy up for the night but for some stupid reason decided to carry on and ride through the night and ended up arriving at my destination around 5.00am.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

s8tannorm wrote:Does it count if you don't actually stop?
I reckon you should get double points for riding through the night, but it's not technically a bivvy. : )

Greetz

S.
Chew

Post by Chew »

s8tannorm wrote:Does it count if you don't actually stop?
pfft.... :roll:

You can have a man point for riding through the night, but only bivi points if you stop :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Following on from my question about not stopping here's a few pics, not involving tarps or bivvy bags.

A bit of snow ont' hills above Bala, it was bloody chilly dropping down into town.

A quick butty stop after a slightly unexpected 28% climb ... that'll teach me to pay more attention to the map.

At the Wayfarer monument before the long rocky descent off the other side ... only another 8 hours of riding to go :-bd
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Nice pics. You look thrilled about those extra 8 hours.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You look thrilled about those extra 8 hours.
To be fair, at that point I was still planning on bedding down for the night ... but England just doesn't seem to have the same quality of bus shelters as Wales.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

s8tannorm wrote:
You look thrilled about those extra 8 hours.
To be fair, at that point I was still planning on bedding down for the night ... but England just doesn't seem to have the same quality of bus shelters as Wales.
I realised that I'm becoming more of a bivvy loser as I've started to pay close attention to bus shelters, in some cases awarding star ratings...
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Did December bivy last night. If I'd had options I may have picked a different night as was a little windy!! Probably should have got the train into the wind and ridden back with it but never thought of that until I was out...

Was planning to eat at the ladybower inn but realised I would be cutting it fine to get there in time so stopped at the Norfolk arms (only about two miles from home - although had ridden more than that to get there) did a short sheltered loop from there and bivied in lady cannings plantation which was very sheltered.

Had a leisurely and extended ride in to work to start this afternoon. Last day of work before Xmas and have had an offer letter for my new job so will be handing in my notice today! :-bd
Mike

Post by Mike »

What route did u take stu?