The Lighthouse by Ian
52%
Tour de Yorkshire by Composite
48%

Total votes: 42
Bearbonesnorm

Video comp - second vote

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The vote for 'best film' seems to have resulted in a draw ... but seeing as the trophies are already made I'd rather it didn't, so we're going to have a second vote between the 2 films and see if we can't decide on a winner. Voting will close on Sun night, sorry about that but there you go :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
JohnClimber

Re: Video comp - second vote

Post by JohnClimber »

Where have the links gone to?

I think if it's this close I need to re view them but can't see the thread.

Any chance you can post up the links here for the lazy?

Ta
Chew

Post by Chew »

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Thank you Chew

Just watched both, enjoyed both and voted.

The current score sums up how very good both of the videos are. :-bd
Ian

Post by Ian »

Well, thank you (or just over half of you, at least :-bd ) for voting. Didn't expect to win it on a second vote, so a bit of a result :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yes, thanks to everyone who took the time to vote. This years 'winners' are:

Ian - Best film
Composite - Best production
Freaky Churchill - Best soundtrack

Awards are boxed up and ready for tomorrows post run.

A big thank you to everyone who took part, there were some cracking films (actually, there wasn't a bad film amongst them). The bar seems to be set pretty high, so it'll be interesting to see what next year holds.
May the bridges you burn light your way
composite

Post by composite »

Well done Ian.

Thanks to every one that voted for my video in both votes and to all the guys that made videos for voting for me for best production.

It's interesting to see that people went for Ian's. TdY is basically a collection of clips, a polished and nicely presented collection of clips but it's nice that the one that was more cinematicly thought out won. It's personally interesting to me that I would still say that my Riding the Currents video is the best one I have shot this year but got so few votes. TdY was the only one I made this year that didn't really have the shot thought put into it and was really put together in the edit but was so popular.

Anyway you won't be seeing any where near as many videos from me next year as I'll be going back to doing more proper photography again. Planning on doing maybe 2-3 next year though, and trying to do some proper thought out projects.
MidgeMagnet

Post by MidgeMagnet »

composite wrote:TdY was the only one I made this year that didn't really have the shot thought put into it and was really put together in the edit but was so popular.
For me, the thing that made that TdY video brilliant was that it captured the vibe of the weekend so well, it's hard not to watch it and smile. My footage was shakey, poor quality (optically), low res, interlaced, and just generally very crappy (I don't need to tell you that!), and as you say, we didn't do much staged shooting, just whipped out the camera out here and there before moving on to the next cafe/pub, or watch the race (or eat fish and chips). I think limitations can inspire creativity, and you've definitely proved that. Well done. :-bd
Mike

Post by Mike »

Ah balls sorry guys I missed the second vote. For the record it wouldn't of made any difference to the outcome just abit closer thats all :wink:
Ian

Post by Ian »

The two videos were so different in their content, they're likely to appeal to people in very different ways. I expected the TDF video to attract the vote of those who were in it, for the reasons MM states. The editing is slick and sliding panes and split screen stuff was all brilliantly done, and difficult to compete against.

The appeal of my video, as I saw it - and in complete contrast to Composites - was the insight into the solo Bikepacking ritual. Packing up in the morning, riding out to an otherwise unknown destination and recording the movement through the various landscapes - and everything that goes with it - to get to the end point. By using the fat bike/beach environment, I tried to gain a bit of niche factor, though this presented a challenge in getting enough variety of shots to make a bloke riding a bike on the beach look interesting.

Anyway, enough of that. Here's to next year :-bd
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Both beat my strategy of swearing over punk rock. I was pleased to get more than one vote.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
composite

Post by composite »

Dave Barter wrote:Both beat my strategy of swearing over punk rock. I was pleased to get more than one vote.
I think we all were Dave. :smile:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Well done lads :-bd
I enjoyed both very much. Both equally inspiring and yet, as Ian stated, very different. Here the group, the community, there the soloist. Just as riding in a group is fun, riding alone has its appeal.