waterproof shorts

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

composite

waterproof shorts

Post by composite »

So anyone that saw me at the end of the BB200 more than likely saw how my waterproof shorts had been reduced to a pair of chaps so I'm in the market for some new ones. I have used Endura whatevers for ages and had a couple of pairs but they have needed repairing a number of times and I want to try for something a bit more hard wearing this time. Any suggestions?

Was considering maybe a pair of army gortext trousers and having them shortened?

Maybe motor bike water proof cordura trousers and shortening. Maybe a bit heavy? Something like: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Reissa-C ... 0930&rt=nc

Or maybe something like these but if I can find them in black: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camo-Motorcyc ... 19ec1ec142

Any ideas?
johnnystorm

Re: waterproof shorts

Post by johnnystorm »

Altura Attack 3/4 are good. I'm a 34" waist and the large ones can *JUST* be cinched tight enough. They do braces for them I'm considering. Much better material than the Altura Night Vision kit I've got.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I wouldn't want to pedal in any of the textile motor bike gear I've had previously. Based on the quality and fit of my Gore softshell shorts I'll be looking at Gore when my Altura shorts give up the ghost.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Was considering maybe a pair of army gortext trousers and having them shortened?
I did this and they work pretty well - got some from ebay and cut down the legs. You dont have to hem them as goretex doesn't fray. Im not sure Id want to do an off-road century in them as the cut isn't particularly brilliant for cycling, but for anything up to 4 hours they have been fine.
I'm just going outside ...
Aidan

Post by Aidan »

Cut-off army gore-tex is quite flappy around your knees and does tend to slip down off your hips.

I once made belt loops out of cable ties and used string as a belt for the full-on hobo look. Pro :-bd
Mart

Post by Mart »

shorts are tricky to find ones that are durable. They get a lot of abuse, and the fabrics and stitching are put under a lot of strain / rubbing between bum and saddle.

I use the Endura splash shorts, although they do wear out. the last lot I had the goretex seat delaminated. Endura we're very nice to replace them, even though I was out of guarantee

would I buy the same again, possibly but I would look more closely at fabrics and design as I think these two factors will make a big difference
2924 miles per Gallon
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I've got some 3/4 endura ones all waterproof. A bit sweaty and flappy

Some mt500 with a waterproof arse part which are ok to wear bit not fully waterproof.

My favourite ones are cut off OMM kamilika waterproof pants very light indeed (saved for racing/best) not very durable.

Most waterproof shorts are pretty heavy. If you're on a hardtail I think a clip on mudguard is a lighter and better option.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I have a pair of the basic Endura ones which have lasted at least five years, albeit with some minor repairs. Not flash but they work.

I've also converted army surplus cammo goretex troos. I hemmed them and added Velcro tabs to tame the knee flappage and made up some belt loops to take a webbing belt. They work well but the cut is baggy and they rustle a bit as a result.
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

dont ask how i came across these - my job takes me to some strange parts of the internet. . .

:lol:
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

^ Isn't that to keep the smell and moisture in from the adult nappy?
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

adjustablewench wrote:Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGNMeR-BOis

Enjoy.