Cold feet - hints and tips here

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

slarge

Cold feet - hints and tips here

Post by slarge »

There's a few comments about cold feet ( and hands) on the bb200. It is tricky once feet get wet to keep them warm, especially as the temperature drops, but I have a stylish and cheap solution (it works for me anyway, but I don't normally suffer cold feet).
I have tried merino wool socks - limited benefit
Winter boots, feet get wet and hold the water in
I now use normal mtb shoes, good walking socks, and carrier bags. The carrier bags provide a wind proof barrier, and also keep most of the water out, the thick socks provide the warmth even when wet. The shoes let the water out again. Having a spare pair of socks really helps as well - there is nothing better than fresh warm socks, protected by carrier bags, after your feet have got wet and cold.

The same works for hands but use the plastic gloves you get at filling stations.

They all look crap but are very light, pack small and are disposable but easily replaceable. And cost nothing.

Please add more hints and tips
Ben98

Re: Cold feet - hints and tips here

Post by Ben98 »

I use sealskinz socks, not because they stop the water getting in (they do for all of about 20 minutes) but they are crazily warm, make my heatholders feel like cheap sports socks. I think it's probably because they act like a VBL much like the plastic bags you mention.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Which order do you put your carrier bags, socks and shoes On in?

I tend to go for thin merino first, seal skins next (not thickest ones) then either normal summer shoes or shimano winter boots, dependant on temps
Joshvegas

Post by Joshvegas »

Rubber glove cuff over the top of goretex boots.

When I did the strathpuffer I had sealskins inside my waterproof boots. Lush
slarge

Post by slarge »

Carrier bags go over the socks and inside the shoes.

I found sealskins never worked properly after I microwaved them t o dry them out one time.....
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I wore long Sealskins which kept my feet more or less dry till that giant puddle/lake just before the second tussock tussle. I put fresh walking socks on to bivy and kept them on in the morning. I wasn't aware of having especially cold feet on the ride (just really cold all over after the road descents). I do still have a couple of slightly numb toes, though.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

I did the similar to you steve, except I stupidly wore my winter boots. They filled with water countless times. I stopped, wringed out my merino socks, and found some freezer bags in my pocket that covered most of my foot, put that over my socks to stop the freezing dampness of the shoe transferring to the socks. it worked pretty well.

Next time I will wear normal shoes and do the same.

For hands, I had normal long finger gloves, once it got dark, I had some endura waterproof gloves, these were brilliant, didn't get cold at all, except when i fell in a puddle and filled the right glove with bog water. I shook it out and then put my hand back in, it warmed up pretty quickly and stayed warm.
Mandicky

Post by Mandicky »

In the coldest conditions I always wrap silver foil over the toes of my socks. It keeps the heat in and the wind out.

Always handy to have a bit of 'emergency' foil for cooking too - albeit a bit sweaty! :wink:
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

mountainbaker wrote: I stupidly wore my winter boots. They filled with water countless times.
:lol: That happened to me on my way to work the other day....

I find those winter boots work well providing you're not going to get them overtopped / day rides. TBH, for longer rides (i.e. multi-day) where you need a bit more waterproofing / warmth, I think overshoes are a winner, but they do wear out quickly when MTBing.

So basically I use mine over winter when commuting and then hope I don't come across hub/bottom bracket deep puddles - coz then they fill with water and don't drain :roll:
ton

Post by ton »

I wear normal mtb trainers, five tens or teva links, with knee length sealskins and merino liners. pretty weatherproof.
also rode for a lot of years in five ten exum guide boots with the same sock combo......pure warm luxury. :cool:
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

I have some FiveTen shoes, when they get wet they weight a metric tonne. I'm sure they are warm, but they are ridiculously large cumbersome shoes.
ton

Post by ton »

i got these. they don't hold water.

http://fiveten.com/images/jreviews/1457 ... 600921.jpg
Ian

Post by Ian »

Interesting (and slightly alarming) to read of so many people having cold feet issues, Composite's being the worst example.

Fwiw, I rode in a pair of Pearl Izumi X-Alp VI's, which sport lots of mesh and ventilation and are essentially a "summer" shoe. On my feet, I had pair of merino socks, Smart Wool ones, not especially thick, and only just above the ankle bone. At around sunset, I put on my leg warmers as I was starting to feel the cold around my legs. I rang my socks out, but after the bog trots that followed, I'm not sure I gained much from the exercise. My feet were at their coldest near Parc, where a long push up a hill warmed them up to the extent that they hurt a lot. After that, they got chilled once or twice, but none to the extent I lost any feeling.

How many folk reporting cold feet didn't have full length leg cover on?
composite

Post by composite »

I started a thread last winter about this because I was suffering with the numb toes in the cold. I spent regular long periods with them being numb but as soon as I was home and they warmed up they were fine. Chatting with the doctor we concluded this time that it was probably the constant freezing and then thawing during the walking sections that was problem. I think the biggest problem for me in terms of why they were freezing was the windchill in the freezing fog. For me it was a lot colder over night than I was expecting. Hands were generally fine though, I only remember once or twice having cold backs of fingers. One of those times was on the decent into Penmachno.

I have tried cutting the corners off plastic bags and putting my toes in, I regularly wear over shoes in the winter and tried 2 pairs of socks. Even all this combined has not worked for me. I fear maybe my circulation is not the best.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

For plastic bag users, try Subway bags
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

http://www.greenfingers.com/product.asp ... tAodcwkAzw

Sorted. Bar mild electric shocks in bogs.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Goretex boots (currently Northwave canion), sealskins and merino socks. I have terrible problems keeping my feet warm and this works spring through to autumn. In the winter I rely on plenty of hike a bike to keep the circulation going. I'm pretty adept at avoiding above ankle deep bogs and tip-toeing through river crossings without over topping. For deeper crossings I remove socks and insoles and then spend 5 minutes squeezing as much water out of the boots as possible. On my trip round the cairngorms loop this left me with dry and toasty feet. I also wear ankle gaitors to keep water and mud out and if its raining full length gaitors and over trousers.

I get the mesh shoes and warm socks deal but to my mind most mountainbiking shoes are appalling to walk in - far too stiff and zero ankle support. Got to be boots with some flex in the sole and good treads as well as no velcro other than for lace holding as velcro stops working in the mud and ice.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

As above. I think too many folk have yet to work out that getting off and walking with the bike for a while will help warm their feet up a bit.

In the winter I'm happy to wear both Sealskinz and waterproof boots. I usually take some GoreTex socks with me if out overnight. They're a lot thinner than Sealskinz and so will fit over a normal sock. That means I don't get dry socks wet as soon as I put them into wet boots
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Hey Neil,

I meant to tell you about those heat pads for joint pain. I bought a few on last years BB200, but didn't need them, I bloody wish I had some to shove in my shoes this year.

Mine were from my last visit to Hong Kong, but they are just like these http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/cura-h ... acks-11998
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

I wear Bridgedale socks (Merino Mix) with soft cuffs as I'd previously worn wool with a snug fit over the ankle. The cuff which didn't seem especially tight began to tighten as I rode, sort of affecting circulation and leaving me with icy feet (even when the ambient temperature was not particularly low). So what I'm saying is that I choose a woolen sock that does not pull up tight on my leg and stays put as Bridgedale make a shaped foot part. I've seen rather nice knee length merino wool socks by Mons Royale the other day. They may go on the santa list.

My boots are made for walking (Yak skin Goretex boot by Ecco) but they serve me well as I seem to take my bike for a lot of walks.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

For any situation where my feet are likely to get wet I use neoprene socks. Decathlon sell them quite cheaply.

Obviously don't keep you dry but do seem to keep feet warm.

I seem to remember some of the winter ultra riders. Maybe Andy Heading? Saying a theory that stiff soles shoes lead to cold feet as the lack of mobility in the foot limits circulation.
welshwhit

Post by welshwhit »

ianfitz wrote:For any situation where my feet are likely to get wet I use neoprene socks. Decathlon sell them quite cheaply.

I seem to remember some of the winter ultra riders. Maybe Andy Heading? Saying a theory that stiff soles shoes lead to cold feet as the lack of mobility in the foot limits circulation.
I used to boat with folk who have used these, albeit specificish to kayak/canoe sport. They are really good at keeping your feet warm when wet as they are essentially a 'wetsuit' for your feet!

However, when working on the water for longer periods...that is longer than a good few hours... most sensible folk choose dry kit. Wetsuits on the body or feet can hold too much water and allow all sorts of athlete's foot type fungus to start winning....

If your on the bike for a long time then that may lead to more issues, it may not, but something to be aware of

Drew
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

welshwhit wrote:
ianfitz wrote:For any situation where my feet are likely to get wet I use neoprene socks. Decathlon sell them quite cheaply.

I used to boat with folk who have used these, albeit specificish to kayak/canoe sport. They are really good at keeping your feet warm when wet as they are essentially a 'wetsuit' for your feet!

However, when working on the water for longer periods...that is longer than a good few hours... most sensible folk choose dry kit. Wetsuits on the body or feet can hold too much water and allow all sorts of athlete's foot type fungus to start winning....

If your on the bike for a long time then that may lead to more issues, it may not, but something to be aware of

Drew

Yes definately worth meeting an eye on but I've worn them for things like the high peak marathon which is a 42 mile over night bog fest. Sorry, fell race! Ran in them for 10 hours.

I never found a waterproof sock that was up to running. Sealskins lasted a couple of outings before tearing. Plus if you go in over the top of a water proof sock or shoe then they tend to hold the water in.

Not sure there's a perfect solution. Just a range of options. :-)
jBay

Post by jBay »

Knee length Seal Skin socks, stops water entering the top
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

jBay wrote:Knee length Seal Skin socks, stops water entering the top
You didn't do the BB200 this year did you!

Knee high is not enough!! :o

(Actually is was the tussocks that were bigger than that rather than the bogs - I just wanted to be melodramatic ;) )