Garmin Dakota, recording a continuous track

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dave Barter

Garmin Dakota, recording a continuous track

Post by Dave Barter »

Maybe I am doing something wrong but my Dakota insists on splitting tracks up over what seems like a 24 hr period. On Sat I pressed "start" on the timer screen and by Sunday morning it had created 2 files in the GPX/Archive directory which I had to stitch together to make the single route file. I did not touch the GPS at all during this period or switch it off (top tip on the Lithium batteries). The track "current.gpx" was missing 20 miles of the route.

How do other Dakota users record a single file for long rides?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
welshwhit

Re: Garmin Dakota, recording a continuous track

Post by welshwhit »

Interested in this one, exactly the same thing happened to me!

Drew
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Same thing happened to me, this has never happened before and I haven't done anything different to usual :roll:
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
Mattie_H

Post by Mattie_H »

Exactly the same thing for me on a Garmin Oregon: it seems to be a common problem — http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/share/view/23736491
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

Is it the auto archive function? Can be set I think to either 24hrs or when full, sounds like they are set to 24hrs.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Guess what.....

Mine missed off the first 35 miles and just before I slit my wrists I found it in the archive!

Mine is set to Archive when full, as opposed to Daily or Weekly. I'd previously wiped the Dakota before this event to clear out all the crap. I can't see why the first 35 miles would make it "full" when the next 104 miles didn't?
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Oh, and regarding the switching off bit Dave. Mine crashed while I zoomed in at about 7am. I took the batteries out and replaced them again and it switched on and recorded perfectly as if nothing happened! :???:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I reckon you might be right Paul, although mine was set to "full" so I guess the tracklog blew it. I am going to try setting Track Log recording frequency to "Less Often" which might reduce the memory used. If there was a way to record to SD card instead of main memory (like the Edge) I guess the problem would not arise?
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Don't be sure of the Edge Dave. Mine crashed twice during BB200, once on map display, so I kept riding thinking I was on track, only to realise 2 miles later it had crashed. Then it crashed coming down the A road in to Dinas, and corrupted the file, at which point, it wouldn't boot anymore. Switch to phone strava recording... The only way to get an Edge 800 to work again is a factory reset! It also happened on South Down Double a few weeks ago.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Chicken Legs wrote:Same thing happened to me, this has never happened before and I haven't done anything different to usual :roll:
I think this is what happened to you on South Downs Double...
Ian

Post by Ian »

Dave, I think you might have a problem with your GPS data. I was doing some analysis of how four people took different lines across the hike a bike sections , and using Strava, how long they took (yeah, I know :geek: ). You data shows a total time of only 14 hours for the whole thing, and that hike a bike section west of Coedy was dispatched in only 14 mins; 5:40 to 5:54 into the ride :o
Something not right there, but no idea what!

Have I just exposed a great horde of KOM's founded on dodgy GPS data? :wink:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Entirely possible as I had to stitch two files together to make one. I wonder if Strava is somehow compressing the segments as a result.

BUT I am not having it that I didn't ride the whole course as there were plenty who heard my swearing at the key points of hell throughout!
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Right, I can see what has happened. The stitching has stripped the "stopped" segments which explains the super speedy zip over hike-a-bike as I was (effectively in the eyes of the GPS) stopped a lot. I'm therefore hoping I'm still allowed my A493 Kom as I did not stop and analysing the segment it fits with my VAM's. Rockfest is potentially dodgy as there was a gate ISTR