alfine8, cable fitting!!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Gari

alfine8, cable fitting!!

Post by Gari »

So how critical is rye 101mm measurement?
The reason I am asking is that despite having owned 3 of these hubs, and never having had an issue fitting them, I just can't get this one to fit properly.
The cable is slack when seated and in 1st gear pos. Checked the cable length and re-fitted etc several times. If I take up the slack with the adjuster until the marks line up, it won't shift into 8th gear, feels like trying to push a rear mech up against the inner stop screw(does that make sense?)
Any help appreciated, I have had this bloody bike for about 3 months now and I am desperate to ride it now I am on the mend! :grin: :oops: :roll:
nobby

Re: alfine8, cable fitting!!

Post by nobby »

Don't know that this will help but there is Hub gear Yahoo group and a couple of Shimano trained mechanics frequent it: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Gea ... bikes/info

Also, I recall awhile back that somebody having trouble with gear shifting on an Alfine 8 and it was a fine piece of grit caught in the cassette joint cable groove and lifting the cable slightly.

Hth
"What doesn't kill us makes us stranger." - The Joker
Mart

Post by Mart »

Not really had a problem setting up before, but had some hiccups along the way

I did think I had the cable badly off but discovered the cable was the wrong length due to the end piece not sitting in the shifter correctly. The other time I had the shifter in the wrong gear when I was measuring the cable length, which again threw the selection out.

the markers are just a guide. Ive never had them line up perfectly
2924 miles per Gallon
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

Can't really help I'm afraid except to suggest you just go back to first principles and check everything. The two I have set up I've had no problems and I just followed the instructions in the dealer manual.
Have to disagree with Mart though. I reckon the marks need lined up. :ugeek:
Mart

Post by Mart »

firedfromthecircus wrote: Have to disagree with Mart though. I reckon the marks need lined up. :ugeek:
Hmm .... some clarification on my comment. Despite having lined the marks up exactly, I found the hub didnt run smoothly enough for my liking
I had to microadjust at the shifter to get it running spot on and smooth
2924 miles per Gallon
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Wot Mart says. Start with the cables aligned and fine tune it from there. Having worked on a few, I'd say there is definitely some scope for variation. They're annoyingly sensitive to cable length and really like new cables with big radius bends.
Gari

Post by Gari »

Thanks all, sorted. Cable clamp at the hhb end was dodgy, was slowly slipping as it wouldn't tighten completely!! New one fitted.
Just about to go for a short wing around Rothie estate to try it.