Am I missing something?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Pyro

Re: Am I missing something?

Post by Pyro »

I went with Stu's recommendation and bought a Borah bag a while back - side zip, extra width, M90 top - and it's really good. Can fit my Pacific Outdoor Ether mat and my big down bag in comfortably. Always used it under a tarp with a groundsheet, and the mesh head end means no bugs and no condensation issues so far
"Where you've been is good and gone, all you keep's the getting there..."
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Hmm
Everytime I keep thinking about going bivi bag and tarp I look at the weights and think that my helium 100 carbon at just shy of a kilo is worth the extra 150 grams (over a hunka XL and a decent size tarp say) adding the advantages for midge survival and the ability to be dry and cozy in pishing rain...
Chew

Post by Chew »

htrider wrote:Everytime I keep thinking about going bivi bag and tarp I look at the weights and think that my helium 100 carbon at just shy of a kilo is worth the extra 150 grams (over a hunka XL and a decent size tarp say) adding the advantages for midge survival and the ability to be dry and cozy in pishing rain...
Having a bivi setup isnt about any weight saving its more about being connected with your surroundings. Once you're zipped up in your tent you could be anywhere, but if you're out biving its the little things. Waking at 3am to see the stars, or at dawn to see the sunrise before you turn over for a few more hours.

Yes theres probably a bit more hardship at times, but its worth it for those magic moments.
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

Chew wrote: Having a bivi setup isnt about any weight saving its more about being connected with your surroundings. Once you're zipped up in your tent you could be anywhere, but if you're out biving its the little things. Waking at 3am to see the stars, or at dawn to see the sunrise before you turn over for a few more hours.

Yes theres probably a bit more hardship at times, but its worth it for those magic moments.
That has to be the best explanation Ive ever heard on the subject.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Chew wrote:
htrider wrote:Everytime I keep thinking about going bivi bag and tarp I look at the weights and think that my helium 100 carbon at just shy of a kilo is worth the extra 150 grams (over a hunka XL and a decent size tarp say) adding the advantages for midge survival and the ability to be dry and cozy in pishing rain...
Having a bivi setup isnt about any weight saving its more about being connected with your surroundings. Once you're zipped up in your tent you could be anywhere, but if you're out biving its the little things. Waking at 3am to see the stars, or at dawn to see the sunrise before you turn over for a few more hours.

Top reply.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

You've nearly sold it to me but I seem to be spending an inordinate amount of cash on kit just now.... If alpkit ever do get the hunkas back in stock i may give one a whirl.... One more concern -I use a down bag hence my query about condensation - is it a case of taking extra care to keep it dry or is a synthetic bag better?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've used both and experienced little difference.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

htrider wrote:Looks about as effective as an umbrella, rain falls horizontally in these parts....
I missed this the first time around...

That's my issue with most of the tarp setups I see. A small tarp that's barely big enough to cover a bivvy bag has to be set very, very low to provide cover from even two directions. When I see some suspended well above ground level I can't see how they work at all in any sort of wet and windy weather. I've considered buying a tarp larger than the 1.5m x 2.2m one I currently have to see if that would work better and let me use a lighter weight (or no) bivvy bag. Of course, I'd then need to look at some sort of groundsheet too....
welshwhit

Post by welshwhit »

ScotRoutes wrote:Of course, I'd then need to look at some sort of groundsheet too....

I use a groundsheet to protect the mat / bivvy bag / me...

I've been very pleased with this one for a small weight penalty:

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ ... heet-p1482

The medium one is what I have
welshwhit

Post by welshwhit »

ScotRoutes wrote:Of course, I'd then need to look at some sort of groundsheet too....

I use a groundsheet to protect the mat / bivvy bag / me...

I've been very pleased with this one for a small weight penalty:

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ ... heet-p1482

The medium one is what I have