Welsch C2C GPX

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dave Barter

Welsch C2C GPX

Post by Dave Barter »

Has anyone got a GPX of the Welsh C2C route completed by Dave Buchannon here http://www.davebuchanan.co.uk/gallery/wc2c-maps/ and mentioned at http://www.selfsupporteduk.net/?

I'm being dead lazy as transcribing the maps will take me forever.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Chew

Re: Welsch C2C GPX

Post by Chew »

Not really what you're asking but.....I believe Daves route is the most direct and fastest route. Ask Ian for a copy of his C2C which takes in the better trails that Wales has to offer.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Drop Dave Buchanan an email - pretty sure he sent me the GPx but I can't remember where they are. He's a top bloke by all accounts so should help you out.
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

I can vouch for Ian's C2C route, it is a really good route and would have been even better if it hadn't rained quite
so much :wink:
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
Mart

Post by Mart »

Dave, yes I got one off Dave B a while back. PM me your email and I will send it over.
Steve, Yes a real nice guy :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
Ian

Post by Ian »

I've just re-worked my C2C route, pending an ITT attempt in a couple of weeks. It's 300 miles, so a bit longer than the previous incarnations.
Happy to send through previous versions if you send me your address.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Ian, yours sounds good dave@phased.co.uk

Thanks
Dave
RE8ELD0G

Post by RE8ELD0G »

Im trying to gather a routes file for when i get my kit sorted.
Could someone please send me this route and maybe any others you have.
I especially looking for the old WRT route so i can see what sort of terrain i need to practice on.

mpl_charles@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks guys
Its a fine line between a cuddle........
And holding her down so she cant get away!

composite

Post by composite »

Ian have you revised the Neath section?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I especially looking for the old WRT route so i can see what sort of terrain i need to practice on.
There is no WRT route ... just spread out OS explorer 214, 215, 200, 239, 213 (plus a few others) and you'll get a good idea of what you might expect :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
RE8ELD0G

Post by RE8ELD0G »

s8tannorm wrote:There is no WRT route ... just spread out OS explorer 214, 215, 200, 239, 213 (plus a few others) and you'll get a good idea of what you might expect :wink:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Its a fine line between a cuddle........
And holding her down so she cant get away!

Ian

Post by Ian »

composite wrote:Ian have you revised the Neath section?
Yes, it now runs down to Glynneath, via an ace woodsy singletrack descent, up the Rhigos (fnar), into Afan via the back entrance (...) pick up a bit of Skyline, White's Level and Wall routes (basically all the good upper downhilly bits; Windy Point, 373, Graveyard, & Zig-zags), then down into Pontrhydyfen, up a good (read as: evil) fireroad climb up to Foel Fynyddau and then descent to Baglan, past a Spar (yay!), then easy cycle route to Swansea bay (and onward for a Worm's Head finish).
Basically this route: http://www.strava.com/activities/165001773 but with a few tweaks
Ian

Post by Ian »

As far as route GPX's go, I will email out to those who have expressed interest, but will endeavour to find somewhere I can host these so you can download at your own leisure/ risk ;)
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Ian, that looks a load better than going through Neath, and taking in the nice bits at Afan is great too! Will be nice to hit some familiar trails after 200 odd miles. Looking forward to riding this very much.
DanLear

Post by DanLear »

Count me in for a copy of the gpx too please - dblear @ gmail DOT com

As for hosting, the "Public" folder of Dropbox does a good job of that, then just share the links here. As a thought, could we have a sticky for "Readers Rides" or similar? I assume it would be for 2+ day outings only, not "quickies" :shock:
composite

Post by composite »

I recently finished building a routes section to my web site, proof of concept here: http://www.composite-projects.co.uk/mou ... ng/routes/

You can browse by UK location, ITT, bikepacking route, day ride route. Routes displayed on an OS Map using the open space API and also you can download a GPX.

Very happy to host anything anyone wants to email me. ijustworkhere 'at' gmail.com
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Composite, where did this route come from http://www.composite-projects.co.uk/route/wildcat-wc2c/?

I had to abandon it at Blaenau Dolwyddelan as a farmer turned me back from going down a private track on his land, he appears to be right. Looking back through the route I realised that it is cheeky as hell! My fault for downloading it in haste and not checking properly. In the end I rode from Dolgellau to Cardiff via a route I'd done before.
Ian

Post by Ian »

It came from me. I've ridden that route several times over the years and not had an issue. I expect with enough research into historical use, you would find it was the old main road, and hence I'd considered fair game. You're the first person who I've heard having an issue, and so I will need to change the route.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Yep, the landowner was adamant that I was going no further. I showed her the map and the main road diversion it would entail, she did not care and got quite "heated" that her family owned the mountain and no cyclists were going to set wheel upon it. To be fair there is a great big sign prior to the farm stating "Private Road".

The irony being she was loading up her lads into a van with full suss MTB's, a mile up the road I wished I'd told them they were welcome to ride in my back garden anytime ;-)
composite

Post by composite »

We are talking about the bit that goes under the rail way yeah?

So I have unpublished the route and I guess there won't bea replacement until Ian has completed the ITT version.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Yep
composite

Post by composite »

I guess when we rode that last time Ian, it was stupid o'clock in the morning and getting "caught" was pretty unlikely! :grin:

What about going Penmacho side?
Ian

Post by Ian »

Thanks for that.

I have a re-route. Via a series of Strava segments, I have pieced something together via Penmachno and up through the quarries. Difficult to see the route on the OS map, but the number of passages of certain "lines" and evidence off the satelite image implies a well-worn route. Will map it properly tonight. I'm keeping an eye on the weather for this weekend, so new route shouldn't be much longer...
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Cheers Ian, I'm a bit of a nancy where RoW's are concerned and maybe a little too cautious, mainly due to ending up in long dead ends in the past. Hence I bailed off the route after noting some other sections that did not have OS grade RoW status. Actually made for a great, but weird, C2C. Day 1 classic hard mountain biking, day 2 lots of little lanes, big climbs finished of with the delight of the Taff Trail and its resident litter.
slarge

Post by slarge »

I rode that bit back in April and even marked my map up afterwards as "excellent track" (a bit further on though). There's a footpath about 3-400m east that would be more legal and ends up at the same place but not sure how rideable. It is very recognisable as a path so it seems a shame not to be able to use it. Was the bike the issue or would the farmer have moaned if you were on foot?