mini peak11 or sil mini peak

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

paramart

mini peak11 or sil mini peak

Post by paramart »

torn between the 2 but would like some user feed back on these items, newer 1 only 1 zip but reinforced top and mesh hook up has been altered is this a problem on the mini11 got a basher sheet but like the idea of shutting out the elements and the mesh inners for the mozzies, don,t think the weights a problem on either, also can the height be altered or does it have to stand tall if req when stealth needed,thanks for any info they are now back in stock so must sell well :-bd
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: mini peak11 or sil mini peak

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I didn't realise they were still making the Sil version, I thought it had been replaced with the Hex Peak but having looked you're right and it's back :???:

Anyway ... I've never tried either so can't offer any advice, sorry. However, it's very doubtful that either can be dropped / lowered - one trick pony kind of deal really.
May the bridges you burn light your way
nobby

Post by nobby »

I've got a mini peak 2 and started a thread on Outdoors Magic when I bought it: http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear ... 52899.html

I have mainly used it with a bivi bag and only occasionally with the inner. I bought it to replace my Hilleberg Akto after I woke to snow one morning and would have preferred to have stayed in the tent all day. Loads of room in a mini peak for one person without going stir crazy. The Akto is like a coffin with headroom.
No experience of the sil nylon version but I will eventually get one when, and if, I have problems with this mp2. I don't see any advantage to two doors if you are using an inner because you have to drop the inner to reach the 'back' door. With no inner both doors are accessible, but if you pitch with the back towards likely rain one door is all you need.

If was buying now I'd go for the sil nylon.
Hth
"What doesn't kill us makes us stranger." - The Joker
paramart

Post by paramart »

nobby saw your post when researching, some new posts on it now interestingly a bloke says he bought the sil one but sold it and advises to buy the £119 mp2 thats the one that someone bought on here was waiting for a review, think i,ll see what anyone else adds then decide, thanks to you both for your input
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

Hey. Got your pm, but as I haven't used it in anger yet I can't really give you too much info. I have pitched it and packed it a couple of times so have a bit of insight, but have no idea about the sil version.

My thoughts.
If pack size is reduced on the sil version then that would be handy. The outer doesn't pack that small. Weight isn't an issue for me but then I'm not a weenie. Pitching is easy and fast but I have added paracord loops to aid pitching. I expect I would do the same to a sil version as well though. I like the idea of the two zips as it seems to add to the versatility in my mind. The option to have both doors fully open when the weather is conducive is a nice one. This can be done whether you are using the inner or not depending on midge levels, though you would need to access the 'rear' zip from the outside while the nest is up. Overall I bought the Mini Peak II as I think it has decent versatility and is good value. The sil version seems to have less of both but the weight and pack size may be more important to others. You pays yer money and all that. :wink:
paramart

Post by paramart »

thanks for the reply, my initial thought was for that one, see what money i get tomorrow,
nobby

Post by nobby »

paramart wrote:nobby saw your post when researching, some new posts on it now interestingly a bloke says he bought the sil one but sold it and advises to buy the £119 mp2 thats the one that someone bought on here was waiting for a review, think i,ll see what anyone else adds then decide, thanks to you both for your input
Ah, I didn't know that. You'd need to take that into account.
I wouldn't change mine for the sil nylon just for the sake of it - it's a lot cheaper to lose a kilo of my belly than off my kit. :grin:
"What doesn't kill us makes us stranger." - The Joker