Going Lighter

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mart

Going Lighter

Post by Mart »

With the ideal weather last night, dry, over 10o and no wind. I thought I would take the opportunity for a cheeky night out, only with a bit of experimenting

Last time I was out the bike felt heavy, (in reality it was probably tired legs) so this time I was keen to see how light I could go
To save weight and space, I did without a sleeping bag and tarp, but took with me a neoair mat and borah bivi bag as a cover

On getting over to Cannock and finding a little quiet space, I put on a thermal T shirt, under the cycle top. Buff round the neck and put on a hat. I had a puffa jacket which I just opened and used on my body.

Despite having a warming cuppa before nodding off, it wasn't long before I was awake feeling cold. I put the jacket on which kept my core warmer, which felt better, but not as toasty as I was expecting. Not cold from the ground, just chilled from the top

Is it possible given good conditions to go without a bag and tarp?
Anyone got a strategy to keep warm??
2924 miles per Gallon
jBay

Re: Going Lighter

Post by jBay »

It's the change in temp from day to night
jungle bag?
deejayen

Post by deejayen »

I haven't tried it (interested to hear what others think), but maybe wear the down jacket next to your skin (without the thermal and cycling top).
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

deejayen wrote:I haven't tried it (interested to hear what others think), but maybe wear the down jacket next to your skin (without the thermal and cycling top).
Miss out the cycle top.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Did you have any tree cover?

Were you warm before getting in the bivvy bag?

At any point in the night did you feel like you needed a answer a call of nature?

Was your jacket zipped right up and cinched tight round the bottom?

Was your jersey damp (sweat)?

Were your hands or feet cold?

What were you wearing on your legs?

The answers to the above will have an affect and could point you in the right direction for round two.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Stu, how does needing to go for a pee affect how warm you feel?
Mart

Post by Mart »

Ok some answers

Yes I was warm when I got in the bivi bag
Maybe I was a little too sweaty so a little damp maybe doesn't help keep the warmth

There was a little tree cover, but not full cover

Hands were warm but feet only warmed up once I wore the jacket. Yup tight at neck and hem

I just had my cycling shorts on, but at no time did my legs feel cold (strange)

Yes I got up for a waz at some point. I just put it down to too much tea. Curious how this might effect feeling warm, if you have to go in the middle of the night
2924 miles per Gallon
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Where was you on the chase mart ?
Trying to ride bikes.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Stu, how does needing to go for a pee affect how warm you feel?
It's not so much wanting a slash that makes you feel colder ... it's putting off having one. It's very tempting to think, it's okay I can wait and go back to sleep but your body will tense up causing you to feel colder.

Yes I was warm when I got in the bivi bag
Maybe I was a little too sweaty so a little damp maybe doesn't help keep the warmth
Aye, take off anything even slightly damp.
There was a little tree cover, but not full cover
Any kind of 'overhead cover' will make a big difference to how warm you are ... if you can crawl under low overhanging branches that should really help
Hands were warm but feet only warmed up once I wore the jacket. Yup tight at neck and hem
Try taking some spare warm socks for your feet. Give your feet a good rub to warm them, then put your dry warm socks on. Otherwise your body will spend ages trying to warm them up leaving other bits of you cold.
Again, worth taking something extra for the legs. They might not feel cold but they've a big old surface area which will be radiating heat out into thin air (obviously bivvy bags offer no insulation).
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mart

Post by Mart »

jay91 wrote:Where was you on the chase mart ?
Not far from the TA centre Jay, in the trees where the cut through is at the top of Pepper Slade

I've cycled over from Burton a few times this year for a cheeky overnighters. Trying out a new spot each time.

Will give you a shout next time
2924 miles per Gallon
Mart

Post by Mart »

Thanks for the pointers Stu & others
I'm not giving up on my quest to go lighter.
If I'm travelling very light then it sounds like a few simple techniques and considerations are going to make a big difference

More practice needed :)
2924 miles per Gallon
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Mart wrote:
jay91 wrote:Where was you on the chase mart ?
Not far from the TA centre Jay, in the trees where the cut through is at the top of Pepper Slade

I've cycled over from Burton a few times this year for a cheeky overnighters. Trying out a new spot each time.

Will give you a shout next time
Okay mart sound :cool:
Trying to ride bikes.
paramart

Post by paramart »

another 2-3lb in weight for a nice warm semi comfortable night, just peddle harder and don,t lift it over gates mart, :lol: :lol:
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.