WRT Distances, Climbing & Bivi Spots

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

psling

WRT Distances, Climbing & Bivi Spots

Post by psling »

Not having any electronic devices to record distance or altitude I have recreated my actual (as opposed to planned!) route on good old paper OS and have roughly measured it at 167km distance with (what seems much less than it felt) 2265m climbing. I found two comfortable bivi spots at SO 047837 and SO 124851, the second seeing me bedding down to a setting sun behind me and waking to the rising sun in front of me (before the hill fog came down for a couple of hours).

It would be interesting to see how others compare and to see where people laid their bed for the night(s) if only to see roughly how accurate my piece of string and calculator measure up :wink:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Nick

Re: WRT Distances, Climbing & Bivi Spots

Post by Nick »

You could use http://www.bikehike.co.uk to measure your route. Probably more accurate than string and contour counting, much quicker at least!

We managed 240km and 5500m of climbing.

Saturday consisted of a pint 8 miles in at Trefegfwys, a nice spin along the ridgeway then a fish and chip supper in Bishops Castle, a few more pints in Clun and a kip in the castle :cool: .

Had a lazy start on Sunday, didn't finish breakfast in Clun till 11am :roll: , zig zag route to Knighton for lunch, then a loop round to Beggar's Bush at the bottom then across to Bleddfa and then over Stanky Hill to Llanbadarn, a quick out and back to the CP on Castle bank (which I admit I didn't quite get up to, having lost the will) before a bloody cold run down to Llanbister. Evening in the pub with 30 irish bikers, camped in the pub garden while they sang till 3am.

Monday we headed over to Abbeycwmhir, then to Llanidloes for lunch, then the frankly horrible few miles up to Bwlch-y-gle before looping around to Hafren Forest and it's non-existent bridleways, and then dropping back down to Stu's for about 6pm. Great fun.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Managed to download my GPS route and check it over

86 miles, 138km
3933m of climbing

Definitely felt worse that that, distance wise its not very far but felt like twice that. Pushed for a fair amount of that too! So close to 4km of climbing...

Average speed was 8mph. Assume that's the average of my moving speed, forgot to turn it off a few times, including the whole of the 2nd night... full set of batteries gone!

Max speed was 43mph, quite pleased with that! There were a few epic downhills
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Mine are here, just don't ask about the route for day 1 which went utterly pear shaped

Day 1: http://www.strava.com/activities/137713852

Day 2: http://www.strava.com/activities/137714337
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer