Cairngorms Loop Best Cairngorms Three Dayer?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Re: Cairngorms Loop Best Cairngorms Three Dayer?

Post by ScotRoutes »

Ray Young wrote: Scotroutes, not sure if you understood my reply before, happy to have you join us for the day/night, just not opening it up to any others for the whole ride as we already have six saying they're going.
You're OK - that's exactly what I thought you meant. If I'm free at the time I might ride up to the Big Egg (Eag Mhor) and ride back to Aviemore with you.

There's some nice tracks back from Loch Garten to Boat of Garten too, so your diversion sound like a good one.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Only three weeks to go, is everyone still coming? (Mike + 2 mates, Jamiep, Robmac, me and possibly Scotroutes for Saturday). How is everyone getting there and are you still going up on Thursday night, if so, where are we planning on staying the night? I am after a car/petrol share, Robmac has offered but would need to come down from Fife so if anyone else who is nearer can help out it would make more sense. I can get a train up if all else fails.
For navigation I have the route on view ranger and a GPS with topo maps. If Mike and Jamie bring their gps's too then I reckon no need to buy paper maps unless of course someone has them already and wants to bring them.
Buying food on route should not be a problem, day one pass through Braemar, day two Aviemore.
Really looking forward to this now guys.
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

Me +2 are still coming (Jim and Paul)

We are probably coming up together in one car on thursday night after work. No definite plans yet.
I'll bring my gps. I'll bring maps in the car and we can decide what to do with them on the day of departure. May try to print route out to save some bulk.

Looking forward to this too. Jim paul and i have struck a deal to do it on full suspension bikes. Ended up making a frame bag for it :wink:
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

I am a definite. Don't have a motor so I need to train it from Edinburgh (still not booked – hazy recall it is £30-35). Could come Thu but was thinking the early Fri train – what's the thoughts on going Thu evening?

Will bring the GPS – Ray, please could you send me the route?
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Trains out.
Thu 19.44 pm arrive 21.42 pm £11.20 pre booked.
Fri. 6.33 am arrive 8.52 am £11.20 pre booked.
Return.
Sun 14.11pm arrive 16.43 pm £20.44
Sun. 17.54 pm arrive 20.44 pm £11.20 pre booked.

Think Mike, Jim and Paul are going up after work from Edinburgh on Thursday evening so they don't have the extra drive from Peebles on the Fri morning.
The 6.33 am train on Fri would get us there at a good time Jamie. Will send GPS route when I can get the wife off the computer, can't do it from my tablet.
jpw247

Post by jpw247 »

I use avon skin so soft original for midge control and it is rather effective at it too. I won a compact perfume atomizer in a xmas cracker one year which I use to dispense it in the field. I never leave without it now. As it is an oil make sure you liberally apply to your guns prior to civilization. You may look rough from a few days wild camping but your guns will be epic!
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

Ray Young wrote: I am after a car/petrol share, Robmac has offered but would need to come down from Fife so if anyone else who is nearer can help out it would make more sense. I can get a train up if all else fails.
I really dont mind Ray.
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

In fact I could pick up you and Jamie which would make it more worth while, plus I can leave yous to navigate and let me just do the driving :wink:
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

Ray Young wrote:Trains out.
Thu 19.44 pm arrive 21.42 pm £11.20 pre booked.
Fri. 6.33 am arrive 8.52 am £11.20 pre booked.
Return.
Sun 14.11pm arrive 16.43 pm £20.44
Sun. 17.54 pm arrive 20.44 pm £11.20 pre booked.

Think Mike, Jim and Paul are going up after work from Edinburgh on Thursday evening so they don't have the extra drive from Peebles on the Fri morning.
The 6.33 am train on Fri would get us there at a good time Jamie. Will send GPS route when I can get the wife off the computer, can't do it from my tablet.

I plan to come up Fri AM if that is OK with everyone else.
Anyone any clue which of these two returns I should book? Kinda leaning to the latter to be on the safe side but don't want to be kicking my heels if finishing much earlier
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

RobMac wrote:
Ray Young wrote: I am after a car/petrol share, Robmac has offered but would need to come down from Fife so if anyone else who is nearer can help out it would make more sense. I can get a train up if all else fails.
I really dont mind Ray.
Thanks for the offer Rob but have decided to get the train up with Jamie.

Jamie, the last day of riding should be the shortest plus the last 13 miles are on road so you could probably make the earlier train. I think I will book the later train though just in case, can always do a bit more riding if I have time to spare. See you at the station Fri morning.
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

OK, Ray. That's a plan. I'll do the same. Think you have to prebook the bike too
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

You do need to pre-book bike on the train. I just bought my tickets for the race of the loop next Saturday and there was only one space on the early train, so best book early for your trip.

£28.60 for an off-peak return which gives me flexibility if I either need to bin it early or finish later than planned.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Hi guy's, I'm afraid Jamie and I couldn't get our bikes booked onto the earlier trains which means we won't arrive at Blair Atoll till 12.30 on the Friday. Mike, we will just meet up with you at the bivi site on the Fri evening, somewhere between The Linn of Avon and Tomintoul along the River Avon. Rob, let us know if you want to set off with Mike, Jim and Paul Fri morning or with Jamie and I at 12.30.
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

Ok ray. Should have plenty of light for cycling into the evening :wink:
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Gari wrote:Link to the ride I did a couple of summers ago, going up Glen Tromie rather than Minigaig. Pictures might wet your appetite though. Great loop IMO.
http://racksonracksoff.wordpress.com/20 ... r-day-one/
Hi Gari - this looks a great route, do you have a GPX file for it?
Gari

Post by Gari »

Hi Rudedog, I am out on a trip at the moment but will be bach this eve hopefully. Once I get sorted I will ping one over as a pm if I can figure it, otherwise you can pm youy email over.
It is a great trip that takes you through the heart of the Cairngorm massif.
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

Can you mail me a copy too Gari? I will PM you my email. Cheers
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Cheers Gari - pm sent but there's no rush - we are doing the WHW this weekend and I'm looking for another trip towards the end of summer - this seems ideal.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Jamie, what time you getting to the station for? Think I should be there for 10.10/10.15, enough time to find out what platform we need.
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

Heading up on Thursday. Any word from Rob about meeting on Friday.
Getting pretty excited about the trip.
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

Ray Young wrote:Jamie, what time you getting to the station for? Think I should be there for 10.10/10.15, enough time to find out what platform we need.
Fine by me
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

pushbikemike wrote:Heading up on Thursday. Any word from Rob about meeting on Friday.
Getting pretty excited about the trip.
I sent Rob PM a few days ago but haven't heard back yet.
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

Cheers ray. I was sorting out gear last night. Changing tyre and a bit of bike getting tonight. Weather looks not too bad.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Yes, I am really looking forward to it too. Temperatures look good for all days/nights, Friday dry, Sat/Sun some rain.
I've been fettling too, new brake pads up front, mounted my "decathlon" bottle mount things for my monki cages to the forks using jubilee clips as the original mounting method was very poor and they kept moving. Tested my full midge net under the tarp but not sure if that's overkill for this time of year, trying to decide between that and just a head net. If I take just the head net then I think I should add some netting to my bivi bag as the head net is not very comfortable to sleep in. Also bought some "tic tweezers" and a new emergency whistle.
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

I'm going for head net and bivi bag with netting sewn on and finding a suitable spot to avoid midges. Bringing some Smidge too.
I have packed a whistle too. :wink: