Revelate harness Vs Kanga

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Motorman

Revelate harness Vs Kanga

Post by Motorman »

I am pretty much sold on a revelate harness when the come back in stock, but has anyone had the chance to directly compare the 2 before I commit to buy?
composite

Re: Revelate harness Vs Kanga

Post by composite »

Motorman wrote:I am pretty much sold on a revelate harness when the come back in stock, but has anyone had the chance to directly compare the 2 before I commit to buy?
Have you considered the wild cat harness? Really like mine, can't fault it at all.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I've had a revelate which I've now sold.
Whilst the quality is very good the design is lacking.

From what I've seen of the kanga, it seems too tall (I may have seen badly fitted ones though).

I now use a wildcat mountain lion.
Slightly fiddly to fit initially but absolutely zero bounce when riding over anything rough.
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

I'm another Wildcat harness user. It is excellent.
No experience of the other two.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Wot FF said

The Revalate one doesn't seem any more advanced than attaching a drybag directly to your bars.

From what I've seen the Kanga may sit too high making the fitting of lights problematic

1,000s of miles riding with the Wildcat and no issues. A bit fiddily to fit (same as the Kanga) but once it's on it's solid
Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

I also sold my Revelate harness and replaced with a Wildcat - the Revelate was OK but the Wildcat is much more secure
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Unlike these numpties ^ I can fit my wildcat harness in seconds, however it is an early one and doesn't have the extra clips to secure the straps once it's in place ... I think this may make things less complicated.

I too went from Revelate to Wildcat, I have no regtrets.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I went from a bikepack.pl bar roll to a Wildcat harness.

Wildcat all the way. Easy to use, versatile and virtually no bounce. Very well made. Might seem a *little* expensive for something so deceptively simple, however, it's in the ball park for equivalent gear and I don't know what the material costs and time are so hey ho! When it works this well it's an easy price to justify.

I've not used a Kanga but haven't seen a photo yet of one installed that makes it *look* like it works as well or better than a Wildcat harness. Plenty of posts on forums about awkward fitting and lots of fiddling to get the Kanga to work.

Ian and Beth post on here and this has all the hallmarks of an internet luv in but it really is a great bit of kit.

The only thing that's stopped me getting one of their frame bags is the daft array of bikes I have. I can't afford a custom bag for each one :lol:
SimonD

Post by SimonD »

Has anyone got either attached to a cyclocross bike?
composite

Post by composite »

Ian

Post by Ian »

Cheeky Monkey wrote:Ian and Beth post on here and this has all the hallmarks of an internet luv in but it really is a great bit of kit.
I was trying to stay out of this thread, but thanks for the comments :smile:
SimonD wrote:Has anyone got either attached to a cyclocross bike?
There are some on the Wildcat website showing the fitting on a CX bike. A few images of a dropbar set up from Bespoked earlier this month here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/15512491@N08/
s8tannorm wrote:Unlike these numpties ^ I can fit my wildcat harness in seconds, however it is an early one and doesn't have the extra clips to secure the straps once it's in place ... I think this may make things less complicated.
Since we changed the ladder lock to one with a higher release angle, we've dispensed with the cam-lock arrangement now.

Edit - thanks Neil. Those are the ones from the show.
Chew

Post by Chew »

SimonD wrote:Has anyone got either attached to a cyclocross bike?
Yes. Mine works with my CDF just fine.
With the drops you'll be limited to the size of dry bag you can use, but an 8l exped bag works fine for me.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Since we changed the ladder lock to one with a higher release angle, we've dispensed with the cam-lock arrangement now.
Retrofittable? I'm all for simplicity :cool: If so, any chance of a couple for some paypal sheckles?
jBay

Post by jBay »

Is that a new add on pouch in the photo, not showing as an option on the Wildcat website.....
Ian

Post by Ian »

jBay wrote:Is that a new add on pouch in the photo, not showing as an option on the Wildcat website.....
It is, yes - we launched the Lioness at Bespoked. The first batch is being made up next month. They will be on the website as soon as I get the studio photos back from the photographer.
Cheeky Monkey wrote:Retrofittable? I'm all for simplicity :cool: If so, any chance of a couple for some paypal sheckles?
Not really, no. The tape that holds the harness to the bike and secures the dry bag to the harness is all one piece, so once its sewn you can't get it out. However, if you have the earlier slightly elongated ladder lock, you can dispense with the cam lock by doubling the end of the tape back up past the top bar of the ladder lock. I can do a photo if it doesn't make sense. Either method is a bit belt and braces though, as they're not inclined to work loose in use anyway.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Another wildcat user here and I'm pleased with them, but I haven't used anything else. Service was quick and efficient, would certainly use them again :-bd
Motorman

Post by Motorman »

Will the wildcat fit a 20ltr drybag? I have a trip to Norway coming up & I will be carrying more gear than most on the bars.
How much is the pouch & will they be shipping by the end of May?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Will the wildcat fit a 20ltr drybag?
I've had a 20l bag in mine, there wasn't much room between it and the wheel but there was enough.

Have a word and ask about the larger size that Aidan used in Alaska. Ian was testing one at There 'n back and it looked just the job for winter bulk.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ian

Post by Ian »

Yes, we have a large Mtn Lion. Not on the website as such, but drop us a message via the contact form and we can sort something out. Suits drybags 13 to 35 litres. Must take some photos of one...
Motorman

Post by Motorman »

E-mail sent via Webform Ian.
Surprised by the number who have went revelate to wildcat, interesting.
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

And here is another one who went to Wildcat....
Mike

Post by Mike »

And me! And yes ive used me harness on my Cross check no probs but like chew says max size bag is 8 l due to width of bars. Well done Wildcat for some great quality products and made in the UK also BONUS!!
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

I managed to get a 13l bag in mine on my croix de fer - with a little pusuasion.
FLV

Post by FLV »

First, I use wildcat too and its the best of 4 brands I've either owned or just used.

Playing devils advocate, they all work though. My revelate one is basic, but its done thousands of miles over the years. My wildcat is better though