Sinewave Revolution un-scientific findings

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ian

Re: Sinewave Revolution un-scientific findings

Post by Ian »

Dave Barter wrote:Daft newbie question from me.

I have a PD hub and Revo setup with the USE USB adaptor that comes out of the output port. Not tested it yet as I've only just had the wheel built.

What is the advantage of the sinewave over this setup? It does seem a pain that I need the light on in the day to charge the GPS so must be losing some power to the LEDS.
An expert might be along shortly to correct me, but as I understand it, the Revo will not smooth the AC current from hub, which in its unsmoothed form can damage electronic devices connected into the back of the Revo. With a boost cable connected, for example, to a Maxx-D the output is DC (i.e. a "flat" regulated current from the battery in the light) to DC device, which is fine (I presume it regulates the voltage too). The Sinewave's job is to smooth the current from the hub before it goes into your GPS/ Phone/whatever so it doesn't get damaged by high currents.
composite

Post by composite »

I would exercise some caution using that with the Revo and a USB device. As far as I'm aware It's really made for the battery style lights to act as piggy back for USB devices not as a regulator for dynamo power. The power coming from the batteries is regulated. Pretty sure the Revo doesn't output regulated power. I think it's likely that you could get a surge that will damage the battery/circuitry in your USB device. The output on the Revo is only intended to run the red eye rear light.

The sinewave definitely gives regulated power. There will certainly be power lost from the light being on but I'm fairly sure the sinewave will give a higher output anyway.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Dave / Neil
I had an email from Exposure in reply to my query on this very subject..The reply was NO you cant use the boost cable with the Revo to power Electronic devices direct
There used to be a statement to that effect on the old website, but I cant see it now
Mart
2924 miles per Gallon
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I asked USE about the boost device and Garmin charging, they replied:-

"That will be fine – Do remember that it will only hold the charge or give it a very slight charge – It will not fully charge the unit."
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
InspiredRamblings

Post by InspiredRamblings »

Exposure do show a picture of a GPS unit plugged into the back of the Revo... Image
Salsa Horsethief XT (2020)
Jamis Dragonslayer (2016)

http://www.uninspiredramblings.com
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

The light pictured is a Maxx D which has a stable output as it is not dynamo powered but has batteries. Therein lies the problem, pretty sure you need a buffer battery to even out the current flow but I'd be very happy to be proved wrong.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

That'll be a Maxx D.
The power that comes out of the battery in the Maxx D is all nice and smooth where as the power from the dynamo is all choppy. The revo doesn't smooth out the power from the dynamo.
InspiredRamblings

Post by InspiredRamblings »

Ahhhhhh... I see... Of course. Makes perfect sense now. :-bd
Salsa Horsethief XT (2020)
Jamis Dragonslayer (2016)

http://www.uninspiredramblings.com
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

I downloaded a good little app for my smartphone that shows the charge rates
Standard Phone Wall charger = 0.64 Amps
Anker Astro Mini external battery ( 3000 mAh / 3.7V ) = 0.68 A
Exposure Sirus ( similar to a joystick ) via Exposure boost cable 0.065 Amps ! ( similar setup to previous picture )
my SP dynamo hub via Sinewave Revolution 0.15 - 0.35 A depending on speed typically 0.2 A
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

What's the app?
Mart

Post by Mart »

Oh.. Is the app android or iphone?. I would like to try this for the Plug 2 that I have
Cheers
2924 miles per Gallon
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I have one of these

http://www.portablepowersupplies.co.uk/ ... r-monitor/

Did some random geeky stuff to work out capacities and charging times etc. etc. :geek: Including stuff like my Garmins.
Tom

Post by Tom »

I use the "Currentwidget" app on my android smartphone to tell me the current and voltage output from my dynamo. Works well as I can monitor the difference between having the light on whilst charging the phone or having it off...the light that is. Setting it to refresh every 2 seconds is fine.
Lughnasadh

Post by Lughnasadh »

Can I hijack this to ask a more general dynamo hub question?

I am interested in getting one to try having self sufficient power and have never used one before. The problem is I dont know if it will be compatible with my bike (fit wise I mean).

I currently have Tektro IO mechanical disc brakes on a hybrid bike which have a 6 bolt 160 diameter disc.

If I buy a pre built wheel with a shimano hub with center lock do I just need to fit a center lock 160 diameter disc to it and it will all magically line-up and work perfectly? Or is it much more complicated than that?

I really fancy giving it a try and rose bikes have some very reasonably priced front dynamo hub wheels on offer.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If I buy a pre built wheel with a shimano hub with center lock do I just need to fit a center lock 160 diameter disc to it and it will all magically line-up and work perfectly? Or is it much more complicated than that?
It's that straight forward.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lughnasadh

Post by Lughnasadh »

s8tannorm wrote:
It's that straight forward.
vaguely exciting, thank you : )
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

You may need to adjust the position of your brake caliper a little (a mm or so either way) in order to avoid pad rub.
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

Re loss of charge, you can always put a small battery pack between the USB output and your device. easy to conceal somewhere like under the stem, or in a stem bag. This one only 75 grams for weight weenies
http://www.screwfix.com/p/duracell-7506 ... _container

I use this one very light and cheap and has handy charge indicator lights. The 3-1 cable is worth the £10 alone, useful at night camp too. http://www.7dayshop.com/7dayshop-power- ... er-4000mah

Personally I would never plug a £300 device directly into the sinewave (or other regulators) and hope nobody on here reports devices suffering in future.

One word of warning, keep the USB input plug to your Garmin dry, it doesn't take much moisture to short out the input pins and I have had one killed by this, and got away with another luckily. If you ever see the warning "wrong USB device connected" get some moisture repellent spray on the connector pronto.
The old git in the yellow socks
composite

Post by composite »

numplumz wrote: I use this one very light and cheap and has handy charge indicator lights. The 3-1 cable is worth the £10 alone, useful at night camp too. http://www.7dayshop.com/7dayshop-power- ... er-4000mah
Can this charge and be charged at the same time Jack?

The one I have can only do one thing at a time. As soon as the power starts coming in from the dynamo it stops sending out charge to the Garmin.
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

Zendure battery packs can do charge and discharge at the same time, but they're mysteriously silent since their Kickstarter campaign. Should be available again later in the year though, I love mine...
Mart

Post by Mart »

composite wrote: Can this charge and be charged at the same time
The one I have can only do one thing at a time. As soon as the power starts coming in from the dynamo it stops sending out charge to the Garmin.
Neil,
Just bought the Duracell one (from Superdrug of all places for £9.99) YES you can charge and discharge at the same time :ugeek:
Mart
2924 miles per Gallon
composite

Post by composite »

Thanks for the info guys.
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

Can this charge and be charged at the same time Jack?

The one I have can only do one thing at a time. As soon as the power starts coming in from the dynamo it stops sending out charge to the Garmin.[/quote]

Yes it does, has 4 blue charge/level indicator lights (almost bright enough to see by) which flash when charging. cheap but cheerfull. :-bd
The old git in the yellow socks
composite

Post by composite »

So now there is a top cap version. http://www.sinewavecycles.com/collectio ... es-reactor

Some more comments on it here.
http://theflyingarrow.wordpress.com/201 ... tallation/

I predict Taylor has just gone into a cold sweat. :-P
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Nope. :-P :-P