Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Kumquat

Gone but not forgotten.

Post by Kumquat »

I sold this bike.
why did I do it?
I really miss it.
I know it's an underbraked frankenmunter but it was fun.
Sold it to build up an OO456 ti which broke.
(Don't get me started).
Oh well...
Anybody pining for an old bike? Or maybe lusting after a new one?...............
Attachments
why.jpg
(90.97 KiB) Downloaded 1589 times
Grubby little urchin.
johnnystorm

Re: Gone but not forgotten.

Post by johnnystorm »

I'd like my old Claud Butler Pagan & Kona Explosif back just to see if they cut it against modern bikes. Never going to happen as I sold both to mates. The pagan cracked at the headtube & the Kona was nicked. :(
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I wish I never sold my Thorn 853 Audax to fund a lightweight and very stiff alu/carbon race thingy. It was the most comfortable and versatile road bike Ive ever owned.
I'm just going outside ...
FLV

Post by FLV »

Had a thorn Ripio.

Vee brakes, racks, coil magura odin sus forks.

Great Bike, loved it and rode it all over the place one of a day.
But just didnt use it. Wish I still had it though as I let it go far far too cheap.

danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

I miss my Meta 5 that was stolen last november. Loved that thing, was a four year project.

Adventures and Photography Blog: danielgroves.net/adventures-photography
Twitter: @danielsgroves
Instagram: @danielsgroves
Photography on Facebook: facebook.com/danielgrovesphotography
Photography on Instagram: @danielgrovesphotography
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Kumquat wrote:I sold this bike.
why did I do it?
I really miss it.
(Don't get me started).
Oh well...
Anybody pining for an old bike? Or maybe lusting after a new one?...............
Kumquat, what's the stem set up in the picture? It looks like your bars are above the stem?
I'm trying to build something similar but struggling with bar height.
Cheers
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

rufus748 wrote:
Kumquat wrote:I sold this bike.
why did I do it?
I really miss it.
(Don't get me started).
Oh well...
Kumquat, what's the stem set up in the picture? It looks like your bars are above the stem?
I'm trying to build something similar but struggling with bar height.
Cheers
Can't speak for Kumquat but My Salsa Moto stem on the fargo is 110mm with a 25 degree rise if that's the sort of thing you're after.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Johnnystorm, thanks for that. I bought 15* it's just not enough, the 25 would probably do.
It looks like kumquat stem goes out past and below his bars (could just be camera angle) ?
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Specialized langster

Great bike, really fun to ride as it was light and nimble. Put 28mm tyres on it and hammered the local bridleways. Rode it to the ground and v after 3 years of abuse, the frameset was the only working part of it. I donated it to my local shop so the mechanic could rebuild it with his spare parts ready for a junior to use at the local club for training or TTs. Would love another one
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

The stem that I fitted to the GT peace was an "aber hallo".
Hideous but useful In setting up a workable position on a bike that was a bit on the longside for me with the midge bars.
Grubby little urchin.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Kumquat, thanks. Hideous indeed :wink: a bit like the look ergo stem. I've found a copy of them on ebay, fingers crossed it won't be necessary but as a useful as a last option.
Cheers.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Turner 5 Spot
Dialled Bikes Kobe Ti
Dialled Bikes Alpine

5 Spot was a bit of a dream bike I'd lusted after for years. Kobe was an vaguely exciting Ti HT that, once I'd shifted off the heavy bits (a dead weight set of Singletrack rims on Hope Bulbs), was a ripper. The Alpine was a funky purple and once someone else sorted the shonky build and parts that I'd thrown on it was just starting to make sense and have some fun on.

All gone at the dead of night and followed by an unpleasant learning experience about insurance limits for theft of possessions from outhouses (didn't even get back 50%).

Hey ho, where do all those stolen bikes go?
GilesRene

Post by GilesRene »

danielgroves wrote:I miss my Meta 5 that was stolen last november. Loved that thing, was a four year project.

sorry I got distracted - Bath Spa train station?
Gilbo71

Post by Gilbo71 »

I'm almost in the same situation, I bought a Cotic Soda as my forever bike about 10 years ago but haven't ridden it for 12 months as I can't seem to get a comfortable position on it anymore. This week I got a Gryphon frame which is going to be my new forever bike and sell the Soda to fund the other bits - but I find I'm struggling to let it go now.

There's a small part of brain that thinks it might get abused by the new owners and I need to vet them before selling it to them, has anyone else had this problem?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I had a big bike cull 2 years ago. A big part of me didn't really want to but once the first one was gone the other 8 were easy :wink:
There's a small part of brain that thinks it might get abused by the new owners and I need to vet them before selling it to them, has anyone else had this problem?
Not been vetted for buying a bike but have for a house ... in hindsight it makes sense, they wanted to make sure we'd fit in with the local community and vice versa. Could be a very lonely, isolated place to be otherwise.
May the bridges you burn light your way
danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

Bath Spa train station?
Yup, that's spot on.
Adventures and Photography Blog: danielgroves.net/adventures-photography
Twitter: @danielsgroves
Instagram: @danielsgroves
Photography on Facebook: facebook.com/danielgrovesphotography
Photography on Instagram: @danielgrovesphotography
Singlespeedpunk

Post by Singlespeedpunk »

Matt Chester UtiliTIman singlespeed - handling was up there with the OSBikes Blackbuck, but in Ti....and with little wheels
Maverick ML7 "It" - like a magic carpet
Solitude Dropbar 29er fixie monster-mutant-cross-thing - Did everything, and then more.
tommid

Post by tommid »

I like Stu, had a cull a few years back. At one point I had seven bikes, most of which never got used.

My Surly KM while not flash, is a great do it all bike and has never let me down, but I miss
-The last bike I sold, my Surly Crosscheck, still not sure why I sold it, just stripped it one day and got it all listed and sold
-My Mountain Cycles SanAndreas, rubbish ride, but a piece of MTB history
-Santa Cruz Super 8, I have no use for it, but it was so much fun and looked ace in the late 90s/ early 00s
-My 96 Specialized StumpJumper, Pingy tange prestiege steel frame in dildo pink (after a respray) was a brilliant SS ride
-Fort RO Aero TT bike, not flash, but super fast and really comfortable on the aero bars

I'm really lusting after a new bike, but for all the wrong reasons. I want a bike that will be ridden, not just for show or to fullfill a niche, so building another rigid 29er is kind of out of the question, as each time I plan it out its just a variation of my KM.. I can see and argue the need for a Surly Straggler and I would love a Surly Big Dummy/ Yuba Mundo/ Kona Ute for kid and fire wood hauling duties.