Trangia kit - too bulky for bikepacking?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

barney

Trangia kit - too bulky for bikepacking?

Post by barney »

So I'm getting bored of expedition meals/noodles on trips and my JetBoil is a bit of a one trick pony.

My customary down the rabbit hole YouTube searching has found me stumbling across Trangia videos.

Part of me thinks that although they could be great for nice meals but I reckon they'd be too bulky to pack in frame bags and saddle bags.

Does anyone have experience of bikepacking/cooking with a Trangia?

Cheers :-bd
Wait for me...
whitestone

Re: Trangia kit - too bulky for bikepacking?

Post by whitestone »

The actual burner in a Trangia is just a meths burner that you can extinguish using the cap. The pan and windshield are the things that take up all the room but they aren't necessary for the burner to work.

Welcome to the quiet, slow side :wink:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

I find that a pan set fits nicely at the end of a straight dry bag on the front harness. I've got a restrap 11L one, but a bags a bag really?

Frying pan, lid, and big pan all jammed into the (heaviest) lightest bike on the WRT so must be light enough?
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

Goose egg for scale. Used a gas stove, which is well cooking on gas.
Itchynuts

Post by Itchynuts »

Slow to cook with but very reliable and bomb proof.

It's sad I know but I kept a note of the time to boil 400ml of water and it was 8 minutes.

I only used the actual burner and the aluminium stand thingy it sat in. The rest of the Trangia kit I didn't buy because of its size but I found a Snow Peak titanium pan with a lid that doubled as a frying pan.

Matches, lighter (I always carried multiple ways of lighting it) and a few other accessories plus the burner and stand all fitted nicely into the pan. I also had a thin aluminium sheet which was a windbreak (from Alpkit I think) and that wrapped around the fuel bottle when not in use.

Even sadder (if that's a word) I have the weights too. 364grams for the pan and lid with the stove components and accessories inside plus 324grams for the fuel bottle with 250ml of fuel and the windshield wrapped around it.

I used this set up for years with no problems.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

There's a trangia mini got one ages ago , no idea where from, not a bad little set.
RobLyon

Post by RobLyon »

I've got the smaller of the trangia sets (27) in anodized aluminium. Its a bit of a struggle to manage the temperature, its either very hot in the centre so burns and stick or barely ticking over on simmer. Not ideal for cooking things like bacon or sausages but okay for things in sauces or boiling water.

ETA: that the price adds up when you add in the chopping board, fuel bottle, bag and an opinel to make it into a useful system.
Last edited by RobLyon on Wed May 15, 2024 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Like it for walking but a bit bulky for bikepacking
Gas cannister and stove and pan(s) packs smaller , is lighter and more useful/adaptable

Reliable as can be though.
faustus

Post by faustus »

I've yet to try meths burner since I was a scout, but can see the appeal. As my bike trips are usually fairly short, I prefer the small gas stove setup for ease of use, weight and size. This thread made me dig it out to weigh the lot, and was pleasantly surprised that ti pot, kraku stove, gas and lighter all nestled together weighed about 350g. Can see the appeal of having better pans for different foods though, as ti pots are fine for gloopy foods and water but little else.. :-bd
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Evernew titanium. With cross stand. A copy of the Trangia.
Or with a titanium firebox (Lixada? from Amazon).
I do 2 or 3, month long trips each year, so gas is not a good/cheap option for me.