New bike, thoughts!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

New bike, thoughts!

Post by redefined_cycles »

Hello you all lovely bikepacking and gravely type folks :lol:

My mate Andy, you know - the one who used to have a Brompton for commuting to work (just kidding Andy, they don't actually know who you are but I'm certain you'll get lots of input) - well he's after a new shiny bike. First thing he mentioned is the salary sacrifice scheme of which I've snubbed my nose (kind of).

So, just wondering if anyone has any decent suggestions for this excellent example of a uman being!! I've already told him of Pauls Cycles but I think he's after a KISS (keep it simples stupid) recommendation. I would have thought something without hydraulics. An older model of new stock. He's only riding flat miles really and I doubt he'd eant the squealiness of managing hydraulic brakes at the mo.

Maybe a budget of about £800 and he's quids in. Andy, get yourself registered so you can engage in the feedback and hopefully fine tune that new bike for yourself....
boxelder

Re: New bike, thoughts!

Post by boxelder »

Calibre Dark Peak
https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/16245353/c ... e-16245353
£100 off with MAY15
ton

Post by ton »

reccomended this the other week to someone on here. by far your most bike for cash deal at present. stunning value.

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/bikes/mou ... yEQAvD_BwE

or if he wants a bargain i know a bloke with a XL diverge to sell. in VVGC.
ALS503

Post by ALS503 »

Hi folks, I’m the Andy in question,
Thanks for the info so far, there’s so much out there, i really like road bike style bars, also I’ve heard 11/1 groupset might be a good option.
redefined_cycles

Hi Andy and welcome to the best bikepacking/cycling forum, well, in the world. Soon you'll be getting your first Revelate Design!!

Doesn't have to be 1 x 11.

2 x 11 will be just as good and maybe cheaper. Ultegra is the next step up from 105, andy and grx is probably the gravel bike equivalent (which only comes in 1 x 11 I think).
redefined_cycles

redefined_cycles

ton wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:42 pm reccomended this the other week to someone on here. by far your most bike for cash deal at present. stunning value.

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/bikes/mou ... yEQAvD_BwE

or if he wants a bargain i know a bloke with a XL diverge to sell. in VVGC.
Tony. He's yet to be convinced with an MTB. Hopefully he'll come round one day. Height is about 170cm so an xl is way too big :smile:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I’ve read through the post several times but I can’t see what Andy will actually use the bike for?
redefined_cycles

From what I gathered and speaking to him, it's mainly a road bike it seems. Replacing his other road bike which is 8 speed Sora or something. Hence I'm trying to encourage him to get gravel friendly as there is a few options of excursions around where he is riding.

Thanks Simon and everyone else.
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

If he's not planning on racing, surely a gravel bike opens up far more terrain than a road bike, even if it's just disused railways and canals... likely got lower gearing, be more relaxed, probably more comfortable
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Agree with that get a gravel bike and you can use skinny tyrsmes or wider tyres as you see fit.
Probably better with a more roadie gearing if that is what he will mainly do
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

[tongue in cheek] I’ve heard good things about Sonder bikes Shaf, have you suggested one of them? [/tongue in cheek]

Maybe something like this
https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/pinna ... ike-915759
£800 for a gravel style bike (or even a road bike) is limited budget as the brakes/shifter combo are always the expensive, so bumps up prices quite a bit. Seems to have a decent frame and fork setup as well as a good set of wheels too, to just replace the groupset when it wears out (and there’s nothing wrong with the groupset either!)

A flat bar gravel (or hybrid) could well be suitable but more likely have hydraulic brakes on them now (not sure why you would rule out hydraulic brakes - most of mine have been fit and forget)
redefined_cycles

Sonder. Yes, Andy they're a good brand (just don't get the strongest carbon version) and affordable/quality (somewhat) too.

Hopefully he'll find a nice gravel bike that he can then enter the Bearbones rides 😊
redefined_cycles

That Salsa is very nice indeed thanks Simon. I think he has his heart set on 11 speed though now :lol: Bloomin cyclists!!
RobLyon

Post by RobLyon »

I'd agree on the brakes. The shimano stuff squeals when the caliper seal leak. The sram stuff is a bit better but doesn't last forever. Magura so far seems okay but plasticky. Hope is nice and servicable so I use that on mtbs but cable discs on anything else.

Other 'no's' for me include;
PF BB, Internal cable routing, 1x only, Sliding dropouts

But I also tend to buy pre-loved as you usually get a lot better value for money. I like Giant drop bar bikes as their size chart seems to put me in the middle of the range at 5'10 wheras a lot of brands put 5'10 between sizes.

Mainly though its a case of picking the one you like the look of as nobody really makes bad bikes anymore.
redefined_cycles

Andy, in case you're reading, I'll translate a little for ya (thanks Rob... as he asked me on 11 speeds and internal cables on the day of the thread).

PF = pressfit
BB = bottom.bracket