GBDuro

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Re: GBDuro

Post by fatbikephil »

I would like to do the route at some point and doing it as part of the r**** means meeting folk and the usual banter so I might think about entering in 2023 if its still going and I've not broken myself by that time.
substandard

Post by substandard »

htrider wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:20 am Aye he must be gutted - still finishing with a DQ like that is better than scratching...
Good on Mark Beaumont though - I always thought it was a bit of a shame he did the RTW record supported after having previously got it self supported so good to see he's gone back to his roots.
Was still kind of supported imo, he had a film crew watching his back the whole time, I would’ve taken more risks with a crew watching my back when I completed the inaugural gbduro in 2019.

On the other hand the footage was amazing and really showed how good the route is
substandard

Post by substandard »

htrider wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:20 pm I would like to do the route at some point and doing it as part of the r**** means meeting folk and the usual banter so I might think about entering in 2023 if its still going and I've not broken myself by that time.
If you have any questions in future about the route, fire away, did it on my fatbike the first year
substandard

Post by substandard »

htrider wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:08 pm His freehub siezed? Shorten the chain, ditch the derr and ride it fixed!
I imagine he ended up with a bag of neutrals, usual failure mode on novatec sorry I mean hunt freehubs.

Totally gutted for Angus, he’s a really nice genuine guy who can pedal twice as fast as I ever could!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

substandard wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:45 pm
htrider wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:08 pm His freehub siezed? Shorten the chain, ditch the derr and ride it fixed!
I imagine he ended up with a bag of neutrals, usual failure mode on novatec sorry I mean hunt freehubs.

Totally gutted for Angus, he’s a really nice genuine guy who can pedal twice as fast as I ever could!
Oh dear, I've Hunt wheels on the straggler. The freewheel does make the occasional creak....
Tah for route info offer. I'll probably fly it blind though (apart from the Scottish and Northern England bit which I mainly know) as thats part of the fun... wonder what gear ratio to use :???:
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Nice Youtube film of the race by Markus Stitz ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgILJKt ... ideShimano
RIP

Post by RIP »

^ Sigh. Apologies in advance but sadly my gutter sense of humour immediately brought to mind the Big Train 'Ritz' sketch, where the world's richest man buys the said hotel and is happy to keep everything exactly the same and in tradition except to change its name by one letter, to the consternation of everyone else in the meeting. Superbly deadpan acting from Pegg/Eldon/Bullmore/Heap as ever. Big Train was hugely underrated, most sketches subverting totally ordinary situations with one excessively surreal or macabre, but totally absurd, change. "I understand your concern but let me stress..."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mjG5JVWgyWw

Sorry, as you were.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Shewie wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:19 pm Nice Youtube film of the race by Markus Stitz ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgILJKt ... ideShimano
That realy is nice. :-bd
Verena

Post by Verena »

fatbikephil wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:20 pm I would like to do the route at some point and doing it as part of the r**** means meeting folk and the usual banter so I might think about entering in 2023 if its still going and I've not broken myself by that time.
Well??? Are you?? Anyone from here??

For once I have actually remembered it is on before it starts, so I may manage to get out and find some riders as they pass along... (although I still think I may bring bad fortune, the only two times I've managed to speak to any riders, they both scratched pretty much immediately after meeting me :oops: :lol: )
Boab

Post by Boab »

I quite fancy doing a South to North ride. Given the entry fee for these things, might just DIY it. Don't hold your breath though...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Boab wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:50 am I quite fancy doing a South to North ride. Given the entry fee for these things, might just DIY it. Don't hold your breath though...
I also fancy DIYing it bit by bit, as in one week at a time.... on my "dreams for the future" list...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Verena wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:32 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:20 pm I would like to do the route at some point and doing it as part of the r**** means meeting folk and the usual banter so I might think about entering in 2023 if its still going and I've not broken myself by that time.
Well??? Are you?? Anyone from here??

For once I have actually remembered it is on before it starts, so I may manage to get out and find some riders as they pass along... (although I still think I may bring bad fortune, the only two times I've managed to speak to any riders, they both scratched pretty much immediately after meeting me :oops: :lol: )
Nah, I did the Highland trail instead. I'm thinking next year for sure though.
slarge

Post by slarge »

I entered but a month ago pulled out. My head was somewhere else and it's a race that's not a race which messes with me.
Good luck to those riding though!!
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Goes within a mile of my house

There's at least two miles of "cheeky" trails they are doing getting up the hill and a gate to lift the bike over

At least they aren't racingbutnotracing on a bridleway for those bits

Spotted a second section of "cheeky" that bypasses the more "interesting" bridleway downhill section that would be the alternative
Verena

Post by Verena »

I see Chris Ellison is there, he's one of "ours" isn't he?
Verena

Post by Verena »

riderdown wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:12 am Goes within a mile of my house

There's at least two miles of "cheeky" trails they are doing getting up the hill and a gate to lift the bike over
Will you go watch?
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Will you go watch?
Lifting bikes over gates?

Might do. Depends on when they are coming through, weather and if I can find the megaphone, cow bell and strobe lights (it needs to be done properly)
Verena

Post by Verena »

riderdown wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:24 am
Will you go watch?
Lifting bikes over gates?

Might do. Depends on when they are coming through, weather and if I can find the megaphone, cow bell and strobe lights (it needs to be done properly)
:lol: :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

So 15 finishers and 16 DNF's, 11 before the first checkpoint.
I might have a go next year but more likely as an ITT (i.e a tour) over a couple of weeks. I'll probably register an interest in the group start in case they change the format but I'd prefer to run it on the normal ITT rules...
Verena

Post by Verena »

fatbikephil wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:08 am So 15 finishers and 16 DNF's, 11 before the first checkpoint.
I might have a go next year but more likely as an ITT (i.e a tour) over a couple of weeks. I'll probably register an interest in the group start in case they change the format but I'd prefer to run it on the normal ITT rules...
:-bd
I'll put the kettle on.
No wait, that'll be a DQ... :wink:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Verena wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:04 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:08 am So 15 finishers and 16 DNF's, 11 before the first checkpoint.
:-bd
I'll put the kettle on.
No wait, that'll be a DQ... :wink:
:-bd It also runs within 10 miles of my brothers place and 10 miles of my place so touring it makes much more sense as I can stop off wherever I like. I could also throw in a few route tweaks as well. Aye stuff all this racing lark :grin: