Cleaning/Replacing Filter Bottle

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Cleaning/Replacing Filter Bottle

Post by dlovett »

I have a pure hydration filter bottle https://purehydration.com/collections/o ... -traveller

that is like a normal ish plastic bottle with a filter unit that screws in as the lid/nozzle.

If course I had packed it away as it’s not often used and must have left it closed or damp. But filled it up towards the end of the nym300 and noticed a strange smell but drank from it as I thought it was the surroundings. Within an instant I stopped and involuntarily exhaled the mouthful I had drunk as it tasted how I would imagine liquid cow sub standard would taste!

It now has the most vile smell know to man in both the bottle and lid section. I have tried flushing it through with many bottles worth of water, Washing up liquid, soaking in baking soda, vinegar etc but it still smells horrible. Obviously I need to be careful with the filter unit as I don’t know what chemicals might destroy it, but I am almost at the stage of filling it full of bleach to see if that does the trick. I have asked pure hydration for advice, but they still haven’t replied to me.

Any suggestions of a cleaning trick that might work, or if not any thoughts on either the decathlon filter bottle https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/soft-and- ... mc=8575761 or the water to go one https://watertogo.eu/best-cycling-filter-bottle/.

TIA

D
Lazarus

Re: Cleaning/Replacing Filter Bottle

Post by Lazarus »

Bin the filter and replace
I have a water to go one -that linked one looks better as my bottle is pretty hard to squeeze so very good for on the bike/bikepacking and rubbish for when camped as you cannot really get any water out of it without sucking

I store mine dry and then " reactivate" which basically means get it wet and flush a bit of water out of it- I do this before a ride. Never needed it on the road as churches [generally] have outside taps and i have knocked on doors asked at a garage as in one that fixes cars] etc so dont use it on the road.
Alpinum

Re: Cleaning/Replacing Filter Bottle

Post by Alpinum »

dlovett wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:57 pm Any suggestions of a cleaning trick that might work
Thanks to the good description of your's, I'm sure the only way to deal with it is to bin it. I couldn't find any detailed specs of the filter module itself, despite following a few links on the manufacturer's website, but some filters actually get broken down by contamination. Even if you could clean it without further damaging it, it may have already lost its function.

Whilst I've not used water filters for many years (if in doubt I use Micropure drops), I constantly follow the developments and currently think the Kathadyn BeFree (squeeze bottle + filter) would be my choice.