Sean Conway Ironman 102, but...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Sean Conway Ironman 102, but...

Post by JohnClimber »

What an amazing achievement Sean Conway is trying to do 102 Ironmen in a row.
2.4-mile (3.9 km) swim, a 112-mile (180.2 km) bicycle ride and a marathon 26.22-mile (42.2 km) run completed in that order, day after day for over 100 days.

There is no way I could ever do any of this, or want to ride 112 miles on the roads and what he's doing is absolutly amazing.

But...... early yesterday morning while helping out Les with his tyre issue in a layby south of Farndon in Cheshire a group of 8 or 9 roadies rode past heading north and there in their draft tucked in tight was Sean Conway looking amazingly fresh with his day number of 63 clearly on his back.

So, if he breaks the world record is it actually a world record?

There is a whole page about the penalties of drafting in the Ironman rules

I suppose if the penalties for drafting are only adding extra time and not getting disqualified as you are not actually "racing", does really it matter if you get towed around the biking part of your Ironman on flat Cheshire lanes and roads.

Section 5.04 DRAFTING AND POSITION RULES
(a) “Drafting” means to remain within the draft zone (as described below) of another athlete
for a period longer than 25 seconds. Drafting during the Race is prohibited; (5:00 Minute
Time Penalty)
(b) The bicycle draft zone is 12 meters long, measured from the leading edge of the front
wheel and extending towards the back of the bike (6 bike lengths of clear space between
bikes). Athletes may enter the draft zone of another athlete when passing and must
continuously progress through the draft zone. A maximum of 25 seconds will be allowed
to pass through the zone of another athlete; (5:00 Minute Time Penalty)
(i) Prior to entering the draft zone of another athlete, professional athletes must
move to the side of the athlete being overtaken (i.e., no slipstreaming). Failure
to do so will result in a drafting violation; (5:00 Minute Time Penalty)
(c) Athletes must remain outside of the draft zone (6 bike lengths between bikes) except
when passing. Failure to do so will result in a drafting violation; (5:00 Minute Time Penalty)
(d) A “pass” occurs when the overtaking athlete’s front wheel passes the leading edge of the
front wheel of the athlete being overtaken;
(e) The overtaking athlete may not back out of a draft zone after entering into it. Once an
overtaking athlete enters the draft zone of another athlete, a pass must be completed;
(5:00 Minute Time Penalty)
(f) An overtaken athlete must immediately drop out of the draft zone of the passing athlete
and must continuously make rearward progress out of the draft zone of the passing
athlete. Re-passing by the overtaken athlete prior to dropping out of the draft zone will
result in an overtaken violation; (30 or 60 Second Time Penalty (as applicable))
(g) Overtaken athletes who remain within the draft zone of the passing athlete for more than
25 seconds will be given a drafting violation; (5:00 Minute Time Penalty)
(h) Athletes must ride single file on the far-right side (or left side depending on local law) of
the bike course road except when passing another athlete (or for reasons of safety). Sideby-side riding is not permitted and may result in a drafting or blocking violation; (5:00
Minute Time Penalty or 30 or 60 Second Time Penalty (as applicable))
(i) Exceptions: An athlete may enter the drafting zone without penalty only under the
following conditions:
(i) If an athlete enters the drafting zone and completes a pass within 25 seconds;
(ii) For safety reasons;
(iii) Entering and exiting an aid station or transition area;
(iv) An acute turn; and
(v) If a Race Official exempts a section of the course because of narrow lanes,
constructions, detours, or for other safety reasons.
2021 Competition Rules – Page 19
(j) Athletes who impede the forward progress of other athletes will be given a blocking
violation; (30 or 60 Second Time Penalty (as applicable)) and
(k) Athletes violating rules under this Section 5.04 will be notified “on the spot” by a Race
Referee. Please note: if a safety hazard prevents a referee from notifying an athlete “on
the spot” (e.g., heavy traffic, narrow roads, congested area, etc.) the referee will notify
the penalized athlete when the safety hazard no longer exists.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Richpips

Re: Sean Conway Ironman 102, but...

Post by Richpips »

Read the rules, pacers are allowed.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Richpips wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:21 pm Read the rules, pacers are allowed.
Thanks, I missed that one
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If he can do that day in and day out, I don't care if he gets towed behind a 'kin bus :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I didn't know that drafting (on the bike) wasn't allowed in Ironman, never noticed they didn't when watching it on the telly. It is allowed in Olympic Triathlon.

Just the thought off having to get up day after day and head out to do that makes me tired. Chapeau to him for being able to motivate himself to keep going :-bd
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:38 am If he can do that day in and day out, I don't care if he gets towed behind a 'kin bus :-bd
Feel the same to be honest, he’s putting in roughly 14 hour shifts in each day, hats off to him.

He’s doing it local to me, so I’ve been out a few times to cheers him on

Decent chap to be honest, pleasant to chat to and has some good stories to tell
Attachments
ADE90FBC-BFC0-4A1F-AC88-944447187375.jpeg
ADE90FBC-BFC0-4A1F-AC88-944447187375.jpeg (230.38 KiB) Viewed 1005 times
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

85th day done :shock:

Saw he yesterday (and although he said on social media everything was hurting), he was looking good and seems in good spirits :-bd

Impressive stuff
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

It really is impressive but surely there are better records? In fact I have to own up that I’m a bit fed up with records being measured on hardness. I’m now at an age where I’d cheer for the most chilled out HT550 (Barry), the most moany Tour Divide ( has to be me), the worst health and safety crossing of Spain (Jason), the finest diningest bikepack (Taylor/Matt joint award), the least BB200 shopping bike completions (Stu), the highest number of glasses carried per mile (Reg), the most premature exit award ( the guy whose hub died at the BB200 start line years back), the sod it lets go glamping medal Johnclimber), the most attempts ever to buy a trekkertent then sell it again (shaf), the best food ferret ( Mike), the best food ferrets apprentice (Hux), the least number of seconds spent in a field of cows (Karl), the fack the Ht550 my wife can do it award (Bob), the most miles this year but .. sub standard I forgot the bike (Jav, Sean, Greg joint award), the widest smile on any route cup (chickenlegs)… I’ve run out of steam but you get the idea
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Dave Barter wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:02 pm It really is impressive but surely there are better records? In fact I have to own up that I’m a bit fed up with records being measured on hardness. I’m now at an age where I’d cheer for the most chilled out HT550 (Barry), the most moany Tour Divide ( has to be me), the worst health and safety crossing of Spain (Jason), the finest diningest bikepack (Taylor/Matt joint award), the least BB200 shopping bike completions (Stu), the highest number of glasses carried per mile (Reg), the most premature exit award ( the guy whose hub died at the BB200 start line years back), the sod it lets go glamping medal Johnclimber), the most attempts ever to buy a trekkertent then sell it again (shaf), the best food ferret ( Mike), the best food ferrets apprentice (Hux), the least number of seconds spent in a field of cows (Karl), the fack the Ht550 my wife can do it award (Bob), the most miles this year but .. sub standard I forgot the bike (Jav, Sean, Greg joint award), the widest smile on any route cup (chickenlegs)… I’ve run out of steam but you get the idea
:lol: :lol: :lol:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

With you Dave, and makes for an entertaining tale!
Memo to self - must try harder in the above categories
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I have a trekker tent if that helps ( helps me out in the same category as well ) :-bd :lol:
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Brilliant Dave!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Dave Barter wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:02 pm It really is impressive but surely there are better records? In fact I have to own up that I’m a bit fed up with records being measured on hardness. I’m now at an age where I’d cheer for the most chilled out HT550 (Barry), the most moany Tour Divide ( has to be me), the worst health and safety crossing of Spain (Jason), the finest diningest bikepack (Taylor/Matt joint award), the least BB200 shopping bike completions (Stu), the highest number of glasses carried per mile (Reg), the most premature exit award ( the guy whose hub died at the BB200 start line years back), the sod it lets go glamping medal Johnclimber), the most attempts ever to buy a trekkertent then sell it again (shaf), the best food ferret ( Mike), the best food ferrets apprentice (Hux), the least number of seconds spent in a field of cows (Karl), the fack the Ht550 my wife can do it award (Bob), the most miles this year but .. sub standard I forgot the bike (Jav, Sean, Greg joint award), the widest smile on any route cup (chickenlegs)… I’ve run out of steam but you get the idea
I’m assuming this is an ironic post from the man who wrote a book about, well, how many miles on man could ride in a year :wink:

I hear you, every time someone mentions everesting I really thing what’s the point? But each to their own on these things

Sean’s attempt appeals as it’s a) pretty much on my doorstep b) it’s so ridiculously daft and hard, that’s it’s worthy of my attention and most importantly c) I’ve liked some of his previous challenges and he comes across well in those (and normal too).

Anyways, I bumped into him and his clan today, reminds me of Forest Gump
Attachments
IMG_5897.jpeg
IMG_5897.jpeg (193.15 KiB) Viewed 628 times
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Brilliant, looks like I'm in a hall of fame afterall :lol: :lol: Not sure if you knew Dave but I've finally settled on the Durston 1p tent. Got it used and it's got a nick in it. Similar footprint as the TT but alot more usable/sit-up room. Kindof like a Lunar Solo but without faffing trying to get the pitch spot on :grin:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

That’s a wrap, he’s done all 102 Ironmans :-bd

I’ll let you lot work out how many miles he’s done

And…

He’s just started on day 103. What a guy! Wonder when he’s going to stop…