What you done t' your bike today

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: What you done t' your bike today

Post by redefined_cycles »

ledburner wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:31 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:35 pm Image
Did you get that bike off Danny McAskill?
-- Built in trixs frameset-- :-bd
Like self Endo feature : :shock: :lol:
:lol: clearly I need a workshop stand for this heavy thing. I think its almost 28 years old now. Built a fare few bikes with it and now on last legs!
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:47 pm
:lol: clearly I need a workshop stand for this heavy thing. I think its almost 28 years old now. Built a fare few bikes with it and now on last legs!
It better than my Lidl stand. The plastic clamp between the bike arm & stand slips.
So I clamp the top tube for balance.
Structurally the only good reason to clamp the seat tube, is generally a standard diameter. So simplify swooping bikes ok. it's also not balanced
#Justmytwpenneth
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
redefined_cycles

ledburner wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:09 pm
It better than my Lidl stand. The plastic clamp between the bike arm & stand slips.
Structurally the only good reason to clamp the seat tube, is generally a standard diameter. So simplify swooping bikes ok. it's also not balanced
#Justmytwpenneth
Good points raised Dan. You'll have to come over for a cuppa coffee and buscuits. Then we can discuss the various theories of how and where to clamp a bike and at what angle to have it sat :lol:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:44 pm
ledburner wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:09 pm
Structurally the only good reason to :lol: clamp the seat tube, is generally a standard diameter. So simplify swooping bikes ok. it's also not balanced
#Justmytwpenneth
Good points raised Dan. You'll have to come over for a cuppa coffee and buscuits. Then we can discuss the various theories of how and where to clamp a bike and at what angle to have it sat :lol:
:ugeek: :geek: :grin: :lol:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
redefined_cycles

I have fresh coffee (ground to your requirements) from Redber!
Boab

Post by Boab »

Used my new pump to seat the truculent Racing Ray. While I managed two whole rides with an inner tube and without a puncture, I feel much better now it's finally setup tubeless. The Rocket Ron on the back seems to be loosing air, so have taken that off and will patch the bit cut and the other holes, and hope that stops the leaks. Found this inside the tyre, that'll be what made the big cut then... 😲
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Made a head tube badge from a pendant off of ebay and an old hard drive.
Got the curvature by strapping each bit in turn to an old washing post and tapping with a soft mallet.
Not sure about the final result though. Gecko could do with being a touch higher and hot glue is messy.
Might try again without the backing. Alternatives were a bit curvy.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Love the Gecko! :-bd

The less glamorous side of bikepacking: I scraped the cow and sheep **** off my bike. Gave it a good clean because there was definitely some dog or similar on the front tyre too 🤢

Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Placed an order for one 😳
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Ooh, you tease.
redefined_cycles

Escape Goat wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:27 pm Placed an order for one 😳
Head tube badge?
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Escape Goat wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:27 pm Placed an order for one 😳
Ditto :-bd
redefined_cycles

Oh... you 2 have placed orders for bikes :lol: pls do tell!!
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

replaced the rear road tubeless tyre as i have worn it out
Gravel tyre to the dynamo wheel
got drop bar bike ready for a big *bike ride so fitted a goat link to take a 46 rear cassette[ on a double and test rode it ]
Sorted stuff out for the Carlisle - crammond Ride to the sun- still committed to a double but cannot say I am certain i will manage it [ should i take minimalist bivvy stuff or will a bale out option just encourage me to bale ?]
* Badger divide and second city divide to get home[ likely not do it all due to time but might if i have the legs]
redefined_cycles

double but cannot say I am certain i will manage it [ should i take minimalist bivvy stuff or will a bale out option just encourage me to bale

I'd go with 'no bivy gear' and try to think like an Audaxer. If you're super tired a few winks can be had at a bus shelter... Looking forward to a pic or 2 :-bd
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:07 am Oh... you 2 have placed orders for bikes :lol: pls do tell!!
Wait and see :grin:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Lazarus wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:53 am Sorted stuff out for the Carlisle - crammond Ride to the sun- still committed to a double but cannot say I am certain i will manage it [ should i take minimalist bivvy stuff or will a bale out option just encourage me to bale ?]
I'd probably take something fairly minimalist - mat and light bag/jacket+insulated trews - so you can get comfortable enough for a nap somewhere sheltered, but not comfortable enough to want to do it for long.
Have fun, forecast looks good and it's a lovely ride. Remember Smidge, headnet, etc. Look out for Morne, he's riding it.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I'd probably take something fairly minimalist
cheers for the advice and I went for lightest bag i own, an air bed and a SOL escape emergency bivvy [ which i would not actually like to try and kip in if wet but it might work ]
Re morne if he is right at the back I may see him but not expecting to leave Carlisle till 6 30 pm ish
Way more concerned with staying awake than the distance ...still its not an adventure if you know you can do it
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bunged the WTB rangers back on the Jones ahead of the NYM300, after patching 4 holes in the rear.... Looks to be a fair bit of road and gravel on the route and these roll very well on such terrain, in fact Stuart has indicated it's "gravel friendly" but he said that about the 2017 YD200 and his was the only gravel bike to make it round....
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

fatbikephil wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:39 am in fact Stuart has indicated it's "gravel friendly" but he said that about the 2017 YD200 and his was the only gravel bike to make it round....
I remember riding the early bit of that route with Stu. His quote was: “which f***er said this was a gravel friendly route?” :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I've failed so far to get my current tyres off the rims - tried thumbs, tried stepping on a block of wood adjacent to the rim but can't seem to break the bead. The gravel bike has largely been sat in the garage for a year so the sealant has almost certainly dried and my attempts to get it off seems to have stuck the sidewall to the bed of the rim in places. They make it look so easy in the videos :grin:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I've failed so far to get my current tyres
Tea towel
Mole grips pull and rotate tyre with them ( my + tyres it went underneath rim to other side before pulling them off ( don't need tea towel if binning tyres)
faustus

Post by faustus »

Front brake bleed and new pads on the old XTRs, bit of bedding in riding today, ready for an overnight on Saturday. Old fluid was pretty dirty and a fair bit of air came out so it was overdue (and felt like it was at the lever).
Boab

Post by Boab »

Fitted a new rear tyre. It arrived yesterday, so I set it up on my old back wheel with an inner tube and left it over night. Transferred it to the Superstar wheel at lunchtime, but it wouldn't pop onto the bead with the inflater primed to 140psi. Stuck an inner tube in and left it for another hour of two. Still couldn't get it seated tubeless, even with a strap and copious amounts of soapy water. Put it back onto the old wheel and it popped up tubeless at first time of asking. Inspected the rim beds and realised that there's just too much of a drop on the superstar rim, so put another couple of wraps of Tesa tape on. Tyre popped onto the bead at first time of asking. 🤬🖕

Anyhoo, it's up, full of sealant and sitting in the sun for a bit. Tonight I ride it through the night, best start on a route.

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

fatbikephil wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:39 am Bunged the WTB rangers back on the Jones ahead of the NYM300, after patching 4 holes in the rear.... Looks to be a fair bit of road and gravel on the route and these roll very well on such terrain, in fact Stuart has indicated it's "gravel friendly" but he said that about the 2017 YD200 and his was the only gravel bike to make it round....
I rode a loaner Camino from Alpkit on the YD200 that year. Made it round despite it having silly road gears and road spec tyres on it. I bought my own one a week later, with a different spec. I'd trust Stu R more than Stu W when they say gravel friendly!!!!!