What you done t' your bike today

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

yourguitarhero

Re: What you done t' your bike today

Post by yourguitarhero »

Yeah, had the terreno drys on front and rear.
Fast but, downhill braking grip, especially on a loaded up bike was sketchy. Had to get off and walk down a few of them as well as two wheel drift/ski down some others!
Boab

Post by Boab »

Alpinum wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:10 pm Curious to hear how you find the Nobby Nic compared to Hans Dampf.
Never thought much of the Hans Dampf, especially under cornering, but quite like the shapes of the shoulder knobs on the 'new' Nobby Nic and would like to give it a try on the short travel trail bike up front.
I've got a Rocket Ron on the back, and it's be slithering and sliding all over the place. Meanwhile, Hans has been mostly planted and confidence generating, which is what I was after. Way too heavy and slow for summer riding around these parts though, hence the change. Can update on Nobby after the weekend...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Dismantling and putting the drivetrain back together last night. Noticed that the chain wasn't running over the top jockey wheel in low gears again.
Turns out I had threaded the chain over the wrong side of a metal plate inbetween the two jockey wheels.
Runs a lot nicer now I've sorted that out!
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Boab wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:15 pm Can update on Nobby after the weekend...
Cheeers :-bd
Riding the WRT?
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

On the topics note;
After ~10 months of use and little care in some places, my curly bar offroad bike developed a couple of creaks.
Gave it a good clean.
One came from the rear hub and just needed a little grease on the inside of the hanger. The other came from the internal seatpost clamp - some grease for the screw and some carbon paste for the contact area. To be sure it's quiet some drips of lube down the saddle rails. Sorted. Off to a gentle and quiet ride tomorrow.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Lights sorted -viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23362 - for this new weeks upcoming long(er) ride. Might even take some water n food :grin:
Mart

Post by Mart »

Given her a good clean after the WRT
She was a right Dirty Girl!
2924 miles per Gallon
Boab

Post by Boab »

Pressure washed all the sheep sub standard and other detritus off it, my footwear and luggage. Then checked the brake pads, guess that's why it felt like I was struggling to slow down on the steep stuff. It's a Tektro 180mm rotor, with a Shimano 180mm adapter and hydraulic brake, maybe they're just not compatible...

The rear pads, while there's life left, were at least evenly worn across the pad.

The I saw the gear cable coming out of the shifter, probably why the shifting was just off all weekend. Time to buy a Rixen & Kaul Klick-Fix Handlebar Adapter, and bodge it to my Restrap harness I think...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Straightened the rear mech hanger that somehow got bent on first day of WRT and gave me trouble until the end.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Added lightness
And then took some of it away again
Tools used: all of them.

Needs glued and sealed, then just waiting on a seatpost shim. Pondering adding bottle mounts.
faustus

Post by faustus »

Replaced chain and cassette on the Camino. Changed chainset to my old SLX due to lack of availability of N/W rings for the 105 asymmetric bolt pattern. New 38t chainring, new pedals, and new 812 GRX mech which was in my cycle to work parts bundle. New gear cable and outer will follow when I swap bars and the STi's are off, and brakes being bled. Bit of a general refresh in progress. Might need to shuffle spacers on the BB as the chainline isn't quite right compared to the 105 chainset.

voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

gecko76 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 1:04 pm Added lightness
And then took some of it away again
Tools used: all of them.

Needs glued and sealed, then just waiting on a seatpost shim. Pondering adding bottle mounts.
This looks interesting! Any more pictures?

Quite amazing you can take out parts of the frame and just replace it, never thought of that!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Actually on various evenings this week - ripped off WTB rangers (very nearly had to give up and reach for the cable cutters but managed with much pop-eyed-ness) and replaced with Bonty XR's as these are more Highland rock resistant. Whilst I was on I re-taped the back wheel, checked various bolts for tightness, cleaned the chain properly, cleaned and re-greased the freewheel, looked very closely at the EBB and decided it would be fine, put in new brake pads and fiddled with the caliper alignment, replaced the PNW dropper with the KS as the PNW is making horrible noises.

Hopefully all ready for the Highland Trail. Not sure about the rider though.....

gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

It needed new bearings may as well have good ones plus the addition of the Reba fork I got off Allen a good while ago :lol: hopefully get the stem cut down over the weekend in between work and get ready for the Jennride

Imagepro-IzEtc19z by Lee Rowe, on Flickr

Imagepro-b7qrjL4P by Lee Rowe, on Flickr
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Fitted and glued, and no ominous creaks or cracks.
Bottle mounts can wait for another day.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Further adventures with the camping bike.
Changed the old Shimano Deore brakes for some Magura MT5s that I also put on my trail bike and was very impressed with.
And changed the front tyre from a Vittoria Terreno Dry to a Vittoria Peyote I had hanging in the the garage. Which is a lightly treaded XC tyre.

So hopefully I won't have as many issues braking while loaded up - was pretty sketchy on my last trip out!

I also managed to get the 48t cassette and goatlink thing working properly. Seems having the chain threaded through the rear mech was a bit of a boo boo! :lol:

So, with a 32t front ring and 48t, I should have a decent crawler gear.
redefined_cycles

On the 8 year olds bike, the noodle and boot up front were naffed and ages ago he'd told me the brakes were weak. Today he asked for us to go out biking and my mind went straight to the gnarly sections up near Whitley Wood and Dewsbury golf course. Had images of him shouting at me at the bottom, so I knew I'd need to sort out them there brakes.

Decathlon levers for smaller hands to update the Tektro levers that were on currently. New grips as the old ones were nasty and split/ugly. Remembered that I had these WTB lockon PAD-LOC grips (involves using special WTB carbon handlebars). Plus there's the torn boodle and boot which were to be replaced by an Origin8 Super Noodle along with some new front brake pads.

Had to take a trip down to Halfords for a new inner cable, but soon after sorting both inner and outer cables and having him out on the test ride (I'll get to that), I found my pack of inner brake cables! Lockons were/are a bit big and would need cutting at one side to make em uniform around the twist grip SRAM gear lever. But he wasn't having it and asked me to leave it be and that he'll make do with the assymetric grips - one sticks out a few cm more than the other but brake levers are symmetrical.

So, new outer cables and inners sorted. New grips and brake levers on. Super noodles at both ends for some uniformity and a bit of faff with the calipers to get em pulling/holding evenly. New cartridge brake pads up front and it was ready... Not necessarily done in that order and more than a few minutes spent explaining to him why he should sort this bike first bwfore asking me to upgrade his 20 inch wheeled bike to Single Digit Ti off SLARGE.

Test ride: 'Abdurrahman, you're bikes ready' and 'I'll come and check you out at the front (of the house) for feedback'. 'Ok, will you do an emergency stop please' and not many seconds later he does the coolest endover ever. Ned Overend would be proud. Whacked his 'knackers' and gave me a few tellings off just after he'd landed on his feet like a cat :lol: :lol: :lol:

Told him he should go inside and nurse his jewels but suddenly he was better. Upgraded brakes rating : I assume it's a 10/10 and I had to remind him about pressing both brakes simultaneously (but will add that the front is always more powerful anyway when he gets back in). "Why did you tell me to do an emergency brake" he told me. Funniest thing is that his mate saw it all as he waited at the bottom of the street!!

Oh, I forgot, new (to him) seatpin too so he can manually drop alot easier (must remember to remind him what that is) when on that trail. Couldn't bring myself to attach the Hope on but since he did such a good Ned Overend, I think he (and the next owner, as it'll go soon) may have earned it.
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Sun May 28, 2023 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Fitted some nice wheels courtesy of Escape Goat of this parish, and some slicks for the run to work.
Unfortunately there is some creaking after last month's surgery which I'm hoping is just the seatpost wanting a bit of carbon paste, because if it's not...
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Fitted the cable disc callipers I got from Escape Goat, along with some nice Avid SD7 levers, swapped for the loan of some 8m ladders :-bd

Then broke the cam on the QR bolt thru axle on the Chinese carbon forks :cry:

Now need to try to source a replacement. 15mm, 110mm, but different thread to a Rockshox....... The threaded bit is both a little narrower and has a different thread pitch - 2mm.

They are the forks that Shand were using for a while I think. Anyone know where I can source an axle?
redefined_cycles

boxelder wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:07 am Fitted the cable disc callipers I got from Escape Goat, along with some nice Avid SD7 levers, swapped for the loan of some 8m ladders :-bd

Then broke the cam on the QR bolt thru axle on the Chinese carbon forks :cry:

Now need to try to source a replacement. 15mm, 110mm, but different thread to a Rockshox....... The threaded bit is both a little narrower and has a different thread pitch - 2mm.

They are the forks that Shand were using for a while I think. Anyone know where I can source an axle?
Have you tried (is it the), Robert Axle project ? I had a funny thread on some Trek/Bonty forks I had and managed to track it down by first checking on their site. Think it's probably the thread pitch that's being awkward, right!
redefined_cycles

Took reciept of the new dropper (BX 150mm Ascend), new jockey wheels, bottom headset cup for the sus forks to go on and maybe a few other things over the week. Started, as you do, with updating the cranks which were on the Santa Cruz which awaits patiently to be built.

Old m8000 175mm cranks off, new (to me) m785 XTR cranks on in 172.5mm flavour. Hopefully slightly less rock strikes and a bit more stiffness on the next episode of climb training. 130g or thereabouts saved and the xtr cranks have a 34 chainring by Snaggletooth, so I do hope it lasts as well as the original XT 32 teeth on whats come off.

Tried the chainwrap and it's definitely needing a longer chain and then went about deciding if I'd just use the standard method of, measure wrap and add 2 links. Decided to recheck the 1x method of chaineasurement and for some reason it needs 4 extra links instead of two (according to both Worldwide Cyclery and Park Tools), due to me having a 42t big sprocket up back.

Never bothered before with the 32 ring - or maybe I did and forgot I'd done so - up front but my OCD got the better of me and a bit of snapping of chain later, voilà...

Didn't actually manage to sort the dropper post nor the forks. But who cares, I've got more stiffness with an xtr crank. Not looking forward to the climbing with the bigger ring, but needs must! Up at Oxenhope/Ogden now for a loop I made during the snow by bailed...
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

It wasn't the seatpost. In fact a hard twist of the saddle moved the entire seat tube a couple of mm, so clearly the araldite hadn't done the trick. Further brute force proved it.
Never mind, got the whole thing out (being glad I'd gone for the thicker carbon fibre, and not installed bottle mounts yet), cleaned it up with sandpaper and IPA and tried again.
I did think about using Gorilla glue before but I didn't have any plus I've never used it before. Funny stuff.
Let it cure for a couple of hours then cleaned up the excess and left it overnight. All good but still a creaking sound this morning so I tightened the headset and that's fixed it. :grin:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:35 pm Image
Did you get that bike off Danny McAskill?
-- Built in trixs frameset-- :-bd
Like self Endo feature : :shock: :lol:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..