Tent peg strategy

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Adnepos

Tent peg strategy

Post by Adnepos »

I’ve usually relied on x6 mini Groundhog-like pegs with one multifunctioning Azarxis snow/sand stake. On my latest outing, the only site for pitching my tent was stony. My Groundhogs just about managed.
My thought for the future is to supplement my pegs with one sturdy titanium nail (15g) that can make holes through hard ground but insert my Groundhogs in those holes. I would not rely on nails in regular ground conditions and would not relish carrying an additional 6x15g of stakes.
There’s no stony ground nearby for a shakedown. Do you think this strategy might work? Yes, you can sometimes attach guys to tree branches or rocks but sometimes, as in the above experience, these options are not available. Is there any other wheeze for pitching on stony (or frozen) ground?
Richpips

Re: Tent peg strategy

Post by Richpips »

I try and carry a mix of pegs.

4 wide Ti channels, a couple of long Al Stakes, 2 Ti nails and, 4 carbon pegs. The theory being that at least some of them will make bomber anchors. eg. 3 solid pegs will hold up a Lunar Solo.

I heard something recently about a guy who had a geodesic tent that was doing a great job standing up to the weather until he went for a wee and the lightweight pegs pulled and his tent blew away. :shock: