41mm internal (rim) and a 2.4 inch tyre?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

41mm internal (rim) and a 2.4 inch tyre?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Am I being super duper dumb? Mavic (well, WTB) soze chart says it's compatible. I will be carrying 3 levers when out and about. But is it gonna be so tight to get on/off that I'll have to resort to violence?

Got the lovely Bontrager wheels coming off our Al and I'm happy with the purchase. Just wanna be prepared (and any advice) welcomed. I'd go for 2.6 as I reckon that'll comfortably go on/off but Santa Cruz states the Highball (2021) can really only take a 2.4 inch tyre max.
Lazarus

Re: 41mm internal (rim) and a 2.4 inch tyre?

Post by Lazarus »

I have a 3 " tyre on 30 mm rim so yes the tyre will fit - how optimal or otherwise is the question- we should probably just swap rims :wink: :lol:

As for will the tyre come off- No idea as that is largely down to tyre and rim combo
I would go with what they say as that frame is carbon,iirc, and not designed for UK mud

With close clearance you may have a clean tyre free of rub on a stand but a muddy one flexing under load it will rub, it wont take much to get through a chainstay -I can send pics if you want :oops:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If your technique is good then a narrow tyre shouldn't be any harder to get off than a wider one .... you'll be pushing the tyre down into the rim well once the bead is broken on both sides, so no difference really.

Do think on though Shaf' you say the SC will only accept a 2.4" ... a 2.4" may come up wider (and likely flatter in profile) when fitted to a wider rim, so even though the tyre remains a 2.4" it still might be tight ... if you're with me. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

... say the SC will only accept a 2.4" ... a 2.4" may come up wider (and likely flatter in profile) when fitted to a wider rim, so even though the tyre remains a 2.4" it still might be tight ... if you're with me. :wink:
Thanks Jon/Stu. Jon, the tightness of interface on a 3 inch to 30mm is alot more 'forgiving :grin: ' than the opposite way round.

Yes, I'd say my technique is really good but also when I'm knackered things might not be as good as I'd think/hope. Yes, the wider rim making the tyre bulge a bit more did occur to me. But hopefully my testing on road tires and widths with different widths will translate ok to the wider tires world. Am hoping (educated guesstimating) a 2.4 (61mm) will bulge just the right amount on a 41mm (47mm outer).

Jon... Yes, my beautiful carbon stays is what's kindof prompted me to enquire. Happy to hear the story of yours wearing through pls :o and pics might just stress me. But... go on :-bd
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

exactly as stated
tyre started rubbing on one side and the knobbly bit and mud just wore through the chain stay

Thankfully it creaked massively so it was spotted rather than snapped on me but you could flex the drive side chain stay and see the issue - the frame was retired -i would strongly advise against get close to tyre width tolerances on a carbon frame.
thankfully i only ruined a second hand on one456 that i did not like much anyway
redefined_cycles

Thanks v much Jon. On the road bikes we'd ensure to wrap some frame tape around them areas of contact risk.

Will see how much clearance I have with 2.4 and work around it accordingly (and will make sure I do some wrapping inside them stays... a little :smile:
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I've a 2.4 on an id45 rim and it's OK not ideal but absolutely fine , in the back anyway I'd not fancy it on the front I don't think
redefined_cycles

firestarter wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:53 pm I've a 2.4 on an id45 rim and it's OK not ideal but absolutely fine , in the back anyway I'd not fancy it on the front I don't think
Thanks Firestarter (I think I've still to explain that phenomena of the lungs and where you were getting the pains post Covid - to do list), yes thankfully the front is going on a beautiful Travis Prong. Rated for 3.2 tires I think :grin:
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Lol no worries mate im hoping to attempt to start running again in a few weeks so fingers crossed
Nice forks
Kuman

Post by Kuman »

As above probably not ideal but it will be fine.
I run 2.4 Ardents on my 45mm Halo Vapour rims on Singular Rooster singlespeed and it's fine. Tyres mounted measure more like 2.7 :grin:
Instagram (mainly bike stuff) https://www.instagram.com/dizzy_cyclist/
redefined_cycles

Got the tyre mounted to the rim. 2.4 inch tyre with an inner rim channel 41mm. Rimless, so that might have affected the width and also maybe the actual width of the tyre wasn't 2.4 in first place...

Got an actual tyre width of 2.45 inches :-bd

Very happy with that as it might just work out. Obviously I'll try and get some frame protection inside the seat/chainstays. Hopefully it all works out :smile:

Thanks all...