5/6th April

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Charliecres

Re: 5/6th April

Post by Charliecres »

TCW or summat similar sounds good. I'd be travelling up from the SE and could be up for a car share
composite

Post by composite »

Ian wrote:My coast to Coast route doesn't finish in Cardiff but in the Gower (nicer chips at Worm's Head). I'll keep in touch with more details, but likely a Friday PM start at the Half Way Cafe at the north end of the Great Orme.
I have ridden The Gower before. We used to go to Hill End campsite at the other end of the bay every summer for years and years.

I guess ride to Swansea and then get a train to wherever you are going back to?
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

What's Heaven like? It's like Swansea, only bigger!
composite

Post by composite »

Blackhound wrote:What's Heaven like? It's like Swansea, only bigger!
Pretty, shitty, city.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

I'm still keen to do the TCW, mainly because when I was planning riding this route I realised I could get the train down to my aunts in Malvern and ride to/from there to Knighton (it's approx. 45 miles away).

I currently have Friday-Monday booked off but might make a full week of it looking like the following.
Wednesday -> Train to Malvern
Thursday -> Malvern to Knighton
Friday/Saturday/Sunday -> Trans Cambrian there and back.
Monday -> Knighton to Malvern
Tuesday -> Train back home.

If anyone is interested in tagging along let me know, can alter that a bit if need be e.g. start TCW on Thursday or Saturday.
flat_4

Post by flat_4 »

Different weekend I know, but I'm wondering if my other option is to now focus my efforts on the Cairngorms Loop at the start of May.

Does anyone know if it's on as a group ride this year?
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

flat_4 wrote
Different weekend I know, but I'm wondering if my other option is to now focus my efforts on the Cairngorms Loop at the start of May.
Does anyone know if it's on as a group ride this year?
Looks like it, http://www.cairngormsloop.net/groupriders.html early May and not a full list at present.... I've been thinking along similar lines to you - meant to get up there last Autumn but life just overtook me later last year!
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

I was thinking the same as flat_4,Cairngorm Loop is now looking like an interesting option ;)
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

The weekend is getting closer now and I am not much nearer to a definite decision. Although the Peak ITT route might be feasible I am thinking of going for this Radnor Ring option:

http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... f=10&t=220

Page 2 of the thread has a gpx track starting from Rhyader. 118km over 2 days.

Any of the less quick riders interested? Do not have to start from Rhyader but planning to use a nearby camp-site for the start and leave the van there overnight.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Any of the less quick riders interested? Do not have to start from Rhyader but planning to use a nearby camp-site for the start and leave the van there overnight.
Although I'm blindingly quick I'd be interested, however my ability to attend might be halted due to, leading a DoE cycle expedition from 31st - 4th, Dee having a hospital appointment on the 5th and the 5th also been my birthday ... hopefully I can work something out.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Lets see if more interest or you are sure you can make it. I can move to the Monday onwards if necessary. I was thinking maybe other riders may want to meet up on the weekend. (Besides the fast boys going N>S).

A circuit is more convenient for a weekend and some of the Radnor route is new to me. I am free from late on the 4th (It is my partners birthday on 3rd so taking her camping to Wales).
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

There are thoughts and discussions of a Saturday morning group start on the Peak District ITT.

Not sure it's a good idea though, it looks too horrendously hard! A good weeks riding...