Jan 1st 100kg 15st 9.5lb
Jan 12th 98.5kg 15st 7.0lb
Jan 19th 97.7kg 15st 5.5lb
Jan 26th 96.84kg 15st 3.5lb
Feb 2nd 96.84kg 15st 3.5lb
Feb 9th 96.0kg 15st 1.75lb
Feb 15th 95.5kg 15st 0.5lb
Feb 22nd 95.02kg 14st 13.5lb

Amazed. As mentioned had 2 bad nights on beer AND it was pancake day yesterday and my partner is like a child... makes you eat a stack of pancakes and "you're no fun" if you say you've had enough !
It's a tiny (1lb) but massively significant loss as it takes me into the 14 stones :cool: :-bd
I was genuinely going to leave it until tomorrow but Weds are proving better than Thursdays...

Still yoga'ing .... have started doing 2 sets of 10 bicep curls on the 45kg resistance band so some progress there :wink:
On a 41 day streak on the 10,000 steps
Cycled 60 miles in the last 7 days so still beating my 40mile a week target. Only 38miles miles behind where I should be for the year ...the gap is closing, down from 54 last week.
So a surprising week ! I thought I'd be 15st 3lb
Moder-dye

Re: Fat Fighters '23

Post by Moder-dye »

:-bd
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I'd been adding weight on, hence why I've not reported a weigh in just yet as my target is 5kg off before reporting!! Well done all that have been working hard or just working something to manage the gut. It's all very well worth it.

As a muslim, we believe that the body is a loan from God and so we are commanded to ensure we treat it the best. Not sure if that helps anyone but it's always somewhere in the back of my mind. But that's not the main reason for the post...

After realising I was only adding up with the almost daily weigh-ins, I decided on taking a drastic step. Firstly I've been doing cold showers and its really amazing. Without much other changes, with the increase in heart rate during and after the shower (read torture... if you don't breathe correctly or embrace obviously you'dnot try it whilst poorly) I've bwen having my watch tell me I've used up about 700 of active calories.

Well, that got me watchin the scales more carefully and without much else and eating almost the same I've dropped a few 0.3kg at a time. So now I've started using the calorie counting app again (editors choice version... it's very good and I think I have the paid version) and it's been doing wonders Alhamdulillah/All Praise God...

Watch this space as hopefully a report of 5kg loss soon enough God Willing...
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

4th Feb seems to have perhaps been a very optimistic reading, but that weekend we had our Family's much delay Christmas Day/Boxing day dinner that was postponed due to covid, so the amount eaten could be the cause for the higher numbers.

6th Feb 85.8kg Light gym exercise due to shoulder injury and MCL injury
13th Feb 84.9kg No Gym and only 2 5k runs and patchy meals between 13-20th
20th Feb 84.8kg

Since 16th Jan my weight is down 2.9kg, BMI down 1.1, Body Fat down 1.3%, Muscle Rate up 1.3%, Fat-Free Body Weight down 1kg, Subcutaneous Fat Down 1.1kg, Visceral Fat down 800g, Body Water up 1%, Skeletal Muscle up 1.8kg,
Protein is up 0.3%, BMR is down 22 cals and body age down 2 years.

BUT Muscle Mass is down 900g, Bone Mass is down 100g, does this sound right to you experts or is my tech taking the piss with me?

Overall I do feel better and people are commenting I look slimmer! I've also added jump roping this week to my exercise as our American friends say, as its pretty good at burning cals and cardio gain, and so far I haven't injured myself doing it YET!! The Tacx trainer is also going to get dug out this week so I can try to start putting some proper bike mile through me knee to see how it's faring.

dlovett wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:15 pm Finally today I was able to complete a full rotation of a pedal and so did five minutes very slow (40-50 cadence) pedaling on the lowest load settings. Hopefully next week I can get the speed up to about 70-90 and then slowly start adding the load and incline back in to properly burn those cals. As of yesterday I am still unable to run, knee almost collapsed on the 2nd stride when I tried. Still I am now walking at a higher speed and speed incline till I can start running again.

16th Jan 87.7kg
27th Jan 85.2 kg
31st Jan 84.9kg
4th Feb 83.9kg

Body fat Has gone from 26.1-23.5%

So I have lost a bagless vacuum cleaner.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:18 pm After realising I was only adding up with the almost daily weigh-ins, I decided on taking a drastic step. Firstly I've been doing cold showers and its really amazing. Without much other changes, with the increase in heart rate during and after the shower (read torture... if you don't breathe correctly or embrace obviously you'dnot try it whilst poorly) I've bwen having my watch tell me I've used up about 700 of active calories.
Brave!!

My other half cold water swims all year round has has dragged me in a few times over the last few weeks to "ice bath" my knee. That's only in thigh deep sea water with hat's gloves coats on etc. I have been reading/listening to some books/audio books on sport psychology by Ross Edgerly, Ant Middleton amd Wim Hoff and get how it's mind over body to do that. Still my best sea bath time has gone from about 2 minutes to just over 8 minutes before getting out. Still the thought of 6-8 minutes under a shower scares me currently!
redefined_cycles

dlovett wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:10 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:18 pm After realising I was only adding up with the almost daily weigh-ins, I decided on taking a drastic step. Firstly I've been doing cold showers and its really amazing. Without much other changes, with the increase in heart rate during and after the shower (read torture... if you don't breathe correctly or embrace obviously you'dnot try it whilst poorly) I've bwen having my watch tell me I've used up about 700 of active calories.
Brave!!

My other half cold water swims all year round has has dragged me in a few times over the last few weeks to "ice bath" my knee. That's only in thigh deep sea water with hat's gloves coats on etc. I have been reading/listening to some books/audio books on sport psychology by Ross Edgerly, Ant Middleton amd Wim Hoff and get how it's mind over body to do that. Still my best sea bath time has gone from about 2 minutes to just over 8 minutes before getting out. Still the thought of 6-8 minutes under a shower scares me currently!
Thanks v much Duncan (name, right? :???: )... At the start I was dreading it aswell and historically to reduce the inflammation in my back I'd just give the lower spine a ling blast of cold water towards the end of the shower. But this vid probably got me encouraged to try and do more (Eric Berg vid goes here, who I'm not overly impressed with in all depts, but he is good) and I am finding it getting easier.

Latest cold shower I almost froze so started doing the shakes/vibrations (which I imagine is linked to the Wyn Hoff method) and suddenly, life waa good :-bd :lol:
redefined_cycles

Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I've got to say I didn't notice any weight loss benefits with cold water, but happy to hear you have. Until the last year I swam all year round in just my trunks in the north sea (Shetland and Angus) maybe 10-12mins when it was down to 5c, long enough that rewarming included dancing an involuntary jig in the car :lol: There recovery hot chocolate probably made up for calories burnt!

I did get a lot out of it physically and mentally though. I don't now as the coast where I am is just no fun for swimming, just super low vis, nothing to see. I did keep having the cold shower after my usual shower, but that's slipped too. Must restart that!

I'm having another rough week after my BAM with fatigue and joint pain. Tomorrow's weigh in will just be for the record and most definitely up. We have family here for the weekend, so other than try not to go daft weight loss will recommence Monday.
redefined_cycles

Moder-dye wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:13 am I've got to say I didn't notice any weight loss benefits with cold water, but happy to hear you have. Until the last year I swam all year round in just my trunks in the north sea (Shetland and Angus) maybe 10-12mins when it was down to 5c, long enough that rewarming included dancing an involuntary jig in the car :lol: There recovery hot chocolate probably made up for calories burnt!

I did get a lot out of it physically and mentally though. I don't now as the coast where I am is just no fun for swimming, just super low vis, nothing to see. I did keep having the cold shower after my usual shower, but that's slipped too. Must restart that!

I'm having another rough week after my BAM with fatigue and joint pain. Tomorrow's weigh in will just be for the record and most definitely up. We have family here for the weekend, so other than try not to go daft weight loss will recommence Monday.
Yes... This is why most long distancers (from amongst us lot I suppose) don't really lose much weight even though we do lose the calories during the cycling, we tend to put in double to make up the difference...

On second thoughts, maybe the weight loss was in my head due to seeing the calories being used/shown on the watch. I've ensured to not eat extra/alot along with the showers (makes me feel feverish just thinking about it - not something I look forward to :grin: ). On that note, I think I'll go weigh myself :lol:
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

So you're saying you have a Fitbit type watch that shows how many calories you're burning related to the temperature stood in the shower? :o I don't have anything like that, or anything other than Strava for exercise.

Yeh swimming I definitely ate back what I used, summer I'd be up to 45mins swimming and even then it was only maybe 13/14c so cold and exercise. Standing in a cold shower for a few minutes I can't see using an awful much more than just standing anyway? I guess if you got cold enough then the rewarming would use a bit more, but I struggle to see it being a significant amount. Cold showers are definitely a pick me up though!
redefined_cycles

Don't you hate it when the message you started typing gets deleted cos the page has to reload!!

Anyway, so I reckon its more based on increasing the basal metabolic rate over time and hence why I'm still seeing weight loss but a sendentary lifestyle currently (recovering sciatica so nothing too strenuous just light strength training and stretches). For example, the cold showers have been happening for about 4 weeks now, but only every other day. But yesterday I ate well above my suggested calories - it was a one off as the missus ordered a 900 calorie burger for after work :lol: - but still this mornings weight had me at a loss of 0.2kg :grin:

In the interests of market discussions I went and got some numbers. This is the watch I'm using Moder https://www.suunto.com/en-gb/Products/r ... all-black/ which measures HR based on pulse at the wrist. Not very accurate for cycling uphill as most of the blood is pumped harder to the legs IME/IMO and I believe it's a complicated extension of something called autoregulation (which is how the body distributes energy/resources/blood pressures etc).

Went and had a cold shower - but not gonna wash head with cold water anymore as it feels like a recipe for having a stroke/brain attack. Timed it this time and I'll aim for 5 minutes. Managed 4.5 minutes and the end was alot more comfy than the start. Active calories for the day before jumping in shower were about 75 which is the small number on the left.

TBC (so I don't lose my page) -
redefined_cycles

Today and yesterday. Yesterday was a full work day and alot of standing about (working on the ward) and driving to and fro about 3 hours total.

Tuesday (777 calories active it thinks) was a cold shower day but then again lots of standing about doing drilling and sawing with power tools. Definitely the cold shower that caused this calorie burn as the other days whilst doing the shed work have been minimal calories.

Sunday was a working in shed day and Monday was another full day at work but no cold shower...

Again, Friday was another sedentary lifestyle day but a cold shower :grin:

Watch this space for another day of lazing about and I reckon it'll have clocked the calories upto about 700 again... Oh, and at work is probably not as lazy as it sounds but the watch is off thw wrist for about 10 hours so you could probably double them active calories to around 300 instead!
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Hi Shaf, you've lost me a bit! Regardless the weigh loss is good! I

I tend to weigh less when not doing much exercise as I get a lot of inflammation from exercise, and if I then eat carbs that adds weight as the muscles soak it up with associated water, 1g carb+3g water iirc.

Just questioning it as (if you accept the 3500cal per 454g fat) 75cals only equates to around 10g of fat.

To save going down this rabbit hole further. As I say great on the weight loss :-bd I just doubt it's down to the 4/5min cold shower, though I'm sure that contributes in some way, and even if it didn't I think it's a good habit to have (and I should start again!)

Out enjoying a wander in the sun on a Scottish beach just now, but fully dressed :grin:
redefined_cycles

Lol... I think I've probably lost myself :lol:
But hopefully the weight loss continues :grin:

Will report back once I've lost that 5kg :-bd
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

:-bd
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Yep It's Duncan.

When I used to do a lot of watersports on of the guys I knew who was semi pro always used to take of his wet suit and then go back into the water to
quickly cool his body down so he we start shivering as he swore it was good for you. I know that you burn quote a few cals while shivering, but I think it's something that you need the mental toughness for to be able to almost switch off your sense of reality that you are cold and just let you bdy get on with it.

I have to admit that that area of study is almost as interesting to me as the exercise/nutrition and It's something I'm certainly working on. I mean on the BB rides, most participants that enter can physically ride the event from a fitness point of view, but not all participants have the mental toughness to complete the event when conditions, weather, lack of food/sleep start to add up onto the body.

With your cold wet showers you are going to develop a super human mental tolerance to Welsh weather!

and
redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:07 am

Thanks v much Duncan (name, right? :???: )... At the start I was dreading it aswell and historically to reduce the inflammation in my back I'd just give the lower spine a ling blast of cold water towards the end of the shower. But this vid probably got me encouraged to try and do more (Eric Berg vid goes here, who I'm not overly impressed with in all depts, but he is good) and I am finding it getting easier.

Latest cold shower I almost froze so started doing the shakes/vibrations (which I imagine is linked to the Wyn Hoff method) and suddenly, life waa good :-bd :lol:
redefined_cycles

Interesting you say that Duncan. Each time I have a cold shower (and the panting/shivering that goes with it as I try to get on top of the breathing) I always think of how much easier it is than bivying out (or even the Welsh weather :sad:
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

There's definitely a big psychological element and boost to it.

When you immerse in the water in trunks only in winter, it's not cold you feel, it's something far beyond cold. I watched a documentary on suspension piercing the other week and their description of the feeling reminded me of going in 4c sea water in winter. You've just got to commit. It sounds really corny but you just got to say 'im going in' and confidently wade in, splash your face, dive forwards and submerge and it's a whole body burn.

Btw Shaf I know getting your head/face so cold and wet's not so nice, but you really should wet your face atleast, apart from anything else doing it brings on the mammalian dive reflex which helps counteract the cold water shock response and will help settle blood pressure and heart rate that goes up due to cold shock response.
redefined_cycles

Btw Shaf I know getting your head/face so cold and wet's not so nice, but you really should wet your face atleast, apart from anything else doing it brings on the mammalian dive reflex which helps counteract the cold water shock response and will help settle blood pressure and heart rate that goes up due to cold shock response.
Thanks for that and it might also explain why I got a different response today. Usually after the cold shower the body feels warm (due to whatever reasons but one being the increased circulation I assume). Today after not washing my head with the cold water I never got that feel good factor afterwards. Felt cold and a bit poorly!

Goog input, thanks again...
gairym

Post by gairym »

01-01-23 - 119.1kg
06-01-23 - 121kg
13-01-23 - 121.8kg
20-01-23 - 121.4kg
06-02-23 - 122kg
10-02-23 - 121.1kg
24-02-23 - 122.4kg

Unsurprising, given the last two weeks. It's very hard to stay motivated to resist eating/drinking things that give temporary, short-term happiness when access to feeling good from riding bikes (and any other physical activities) are cut off.

Work, weather and the body are finally combining to allow me to get out on the bike today - yippee!!!
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

With no activity and spending the week away with work I actually lost some weight. Good choices, prepped breakfasts and lunches, I tried to make decent choices eating out.

Actual Journey Start 1st October 100.2kg
91.6 05/01/2023
90.2 13/01/2023
90.2 20/01/2023
90.2 27/01/2023
89.5 03/02/2023
88.9 12/02/2023
88.9 17/02/2023
88.4. 24/02/2023

I also bought some bmi scales too, but was too sleepy to read it when I was weighing.
Last edited by Escape Goat on Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

06/01/3023 - 87.9kg
13/01/2023 - 85.9kg
20/01/2023 - 85.7kg
27/01/2023 - 85.7kg
03/02/2023 - 84.8kg
10/02/2023 - 83.8kg
17/02/2023 - 83.4kg
24/02/2023 - 82.1kg

After a mostly disciplined week food-wise and riding most days, nice to see some good progress. I’m chuffed with that but now need to ensure I don’t get complacent (been there before!) and slip backwards.
Last edited by JimmyG on Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

JimmyG wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:43 am 06/01/3023 - 87.9kg
13/01/2023 - 85.9kg
20/01/2023 - 85.7kg
27/01/2023 - 85.7kg
03/02/2023 - 84.8kg
10/02/2023 - 83.8kg
17/02/2023 - 83.4kg
24/03/2023 - 82.1kg

After a mostly disciplined week food-wise and riding most days, nice to see some good progress. I’m chuffed with that but now need to ensure I don’t get complacent (been there before!) and slip backwards.
Great going bud ! that's gotta be nearly a stone! Keep it up
redefined_cycles

Just re-read my initial post, which was that I'd report at each 0.5kg interval. Well...

1/1/2023 = 83.1kg
Early Feb = about 86.5kg :o
24/Feb = 84.2kg (thankful and greatful Alhamdulillah)
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

31/12/22 77.7 kg
13/01/23 76.8kg
20/01/23 76.9kg
27/01/23 76.9kg
03/02/23 77.0kg
700g. Which is half the weight of a average human brain. :???:
10/02/23 76.3kg.
16/02/23 76.6kg. (next day 77.2kg, then 77.6kg) blimey have I eaten a rock? :shock:
24/02/23 77.3kg. Junk snacking got out of control mid week & poor sleep.. a little more cardio exercise this week.
Last edited by ledburner on Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..