If there were a UK 'gravel race' ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thomthumb

Re: If there were a UK 'gravel race' ...

Post by thomthumb »

Ian, Beth, Stu.

Thanks for all the hard work - it truly is appreciated.
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

I hope this hasn't caused too much stress, guilt and grief to Ian, Beth & Stuart (and anyone else involved) I look forwards to it happening at a later date* but will understand if it becomes too complicated or bureaucratic to be run as a 'mass' event. Happy to do it as a paying event though if that becomes necessary.

Thanks.

*(preferably a date that I can make!)
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

thomthumb wrote:Ian, Beth, Stu.

Thanks for all the hard work - it truly is appreciated.
Seconded
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Stupid Red Tape. But, with enlightened self interest, yay! I will now be able to do this race when it happens as I am away on the original dates.

Would I be able to enter for the new date Ian, once it's known of course?
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

Gutted for everyone involved but I know this situation well.
Good luck in talking sense over red tape.
We organise a not for profit race series, that's run for 20+ years; no facilities needed or asked for, and had to give up on any forestry venues, their demands were ridiculous.
Once you start talking entry fees for levies you get into all sorts of liability issues and insurance, which brings in duty of care and rules and minimum kit lists and the perception of the event changes in riders eyes.

I hope there's a work round but it's going to be tough going. :|
The old git in the yellow socks
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

What a bummer. Not much to say that hasn't been mentioned already but thanks for all the effort so far and there's light at the end of the tunnel it can be rescheduled. If nothing else it's got me riding into work! 8-)
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Sorry to hear you've hit problems with harvesting and fees.

We encountered the same running the chainless events at Stainburn, despite being a "partner" with FC, a volunteer organisation, building and maintaining trails on their land and the event was not-for-profit. What really irked was that the tiny fee of £50 wouldn't have covered their time to process it and it proved very difficult to actually pay them.

All the best for sorting it out 8-)
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I also asked for their definition of an "event" so we didn't fall foul in future but an answer was never provided.

Affiliating to British Cycling was easiest way for us to get event insurance. FC fee rates I've heard bantered around range from £3 to £5 per person.
flat_4

Post by flat_4 »

Well I'm gutted for myself, but much more so for Ian, Beth and Stu after all their hard work. Thanks for everything so far, let's hope all your efforts are eventually rewarded and we get to do the original group ride at some point.

It does make me worry what next, does this now draw attention to events such as BB200? Let's hope not... :(
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Having organised Trailquests in mid Wales for about 8 years, to be honest I had a few worries about the Forestry's reacton to this event. I had major trials and tribulations with the Forestry Commission, Forest Enterprise and all their other incarnations. Luckily I found one individual who was pro biking and cut through a lot of red tape, even entering the event a few times. I always got away with paying £50 for a permit that covered any FE land in the event area. This was before the advent of the mid Wales trail centre popularity and therefore I generally stayed under the radar which is how I thought Ian was playing it. Running it as an ITT probably overcomes the racing on bridleways farce but calling it a Gravel Race although logical, could ruffle a few feathers, especially as the event is based in Llanwyrtyd Wells where the banning of the Man vs Horse vs Bike started the issue. I sincerely hope that the issues can be overcome with an outbreak of common sense from FC but now the cat's out of the bag, I have some doubt. Guess we should move the whole thing to Scotland to avoid all this nonsense. Please Ian, keep trying as I'm dying to do this event.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Shame about the postponement, but fingers crossed something can be sorted (and at least it gives me more time to get in shape ;) )
Wildcat

Post by Wildcat »

Hi Everyone,

I would like to say a very BIG THANK YOU to you all for your kind words. Last week when I got the email from NRW I was talking about giving it all up as lost and felt very down. Since I sent out the email I have been inspired by you all with all your understanding and encouragement.

Lots of people have offered advice and help if needed and I may well call on some or all of you because I am now determined that this WILL! happen. We have looked at new dates, getting correct permission from all land owners and the dreaded insurance.

That is enough for now and when we have a date I will email all entrants 1st then see where we go from there.

Beth.

( you know it is really from me as I use a !)
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Best of luck and chin up, what's the worst that could happen 8-)

If I can be of help chairman@singletraction.co.uk or timsellors@googlemail.com will reach me.

Not sure what or how as most of my experience is in Yorkshire with FC's Pickering based operations but always happy to chat and the offer is there.

Tim
Nick

Post by Nick »

Good on you!

If there is anything I can do, not sure what (I'm not far away in Shropshire though if there is something on the ground that needs doing), then I will gladly help. Just shout.
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

We have looked at new dates, getting correct permission from all land owners and the dreaded insurance.
Ian, if its of interest, we have used the farmers union for our race event insurance which basically covers us as the organisers and the land owners against liability for up to £5 Million. Better option than British cycling and the Forestry were always happy with it.

Interesting that the Kiwi Brevet has a mandatory 4 hour sleep rule every 24, those are the kind of things that come out of regulated events :roll:
The old git in the yellow socks