Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Alpinum

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by Alpinum »

voodoo_simon wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:08 pm Don’t think mrs-voodoo was keen on her card… :oops:
:lol:

Will get the bicycle ready after some householding for 3 days trip including a short boat trip, one family visit and overnight in a bed and one bivy.
Happy to get rid of the itch after a short time off due to injury followed by illness.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

After 6 weeks of not doing much cycling due to a bit of tendonitis in the knee, today I've finally said " f#ck it, I'm going anyway" and booked my flight to Morocco in 10 days time.
I've been thinking about this trip for months but haven't done much prep or research recentley as I couldn't bring myself to put the work in when it looked like once again my plans were going to be for nought.
So it's mad panic time now to get everything ready.
The biggest hurdle of trying to book a bike onto a flight with Tui has been done. Riding over the Atlas mountains should be a piece of p#ss by comparison.
Teaman

Post by Teaman »

woodsmith wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:33 pm After 6 weeks of not doing much cycling due to a bit of tendonitis in the knee, today I've finally said " f#ck it, I'm going anyway" and booked my flight to Morocco in 10 days time.
I've been thinking about this trip for months but haven't done much prep or research recentley as I couldn't bring myself to put the work in when it looked like once again my plans were going to be for nought.
So it's mad panic time now to get everything ready.
The biggest hurdle of trying to book a bike onto a flight with Tui has been done. Riding over the Atlas mountains should be a piece of p#ss by comparison.
Well done for taking the plunge and hope it all turns out to be a great adventure 😀. Look forward to hearing about it in due course.
Sometimes it’s so easy in life to put things off for another day for all sorts of reasons including some that you mention. I had planned a trip cycling across Spain last year in May which got put off to October. It would have been so easy to not go in October due to all sorts of fairly good reasons but I took the plunge and was so pleased I did 😀

“Don’t let dreams be dreams” 👍
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

^^^
Liking the sound of that, enjoy!
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Teaman wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:53 pm Well done for taking the plunge and hope it all turns out to be a great adventure 😀. Look forward to hearing about it in due course.
Sometimes it’s so easy in life to put things off for another day for all sorts of reasons including some that you mention. I had planned a trip cycling across Spain last year in May which got put off to October. It would have been so easy to not go in October due to all sorts of fairly good reasons but I took the plunge and was so pleased I did 😀

“Don’t let dreams be dreams” 👍
Hear hear.

Another long day at work, ending in a meeting at 4 (who arranges meetings for 4 on Friday?) but off up to the Tweed valley tomorrow to stay with friends and ride bikes in the woods so that's cheery. Even the arrival of rain after weeks of dry weather isn't dampening the excitement.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Definitely Cheery - not at work, bike loaded, pie in oven, half a dozen dots on the GPS (Cheers Jon) and sunshine :-bd
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:32 pm Definitely Cheery - not at work, bike loaded, pie in oven, half a dozen dots on the GPS (Cheers Jon) and sunshine :-bd
Nice1 Phil... Looks like the (what's the word for, first of it's type) NAWE is happening. Looking forward to the reports..
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Glad to see we've (so far) no stories to Friday doom and gloom. I'm quite cheery as the 'bad idea' I mentioned a while ago is starting to look very much like what I had in mind :wink:

Also, I'm off to Elvington on Sunday for the speed show. It was the first last year and a good day out and I believe it's much bigger this year. I'll give Guy your regards should we get chatting about C16, blow off valves and intercoolers:wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:28 pm I'm quite cheery as the 'bad idea' I mentioned a while ago is starting to look very much like what I had in mind :wink:
Right scamp you are! I love a good cryptic situation and trying to guess what on earth's going on.

Mother in law bought me tea and cake in the chocoholics shop while Mrs P went off to see Pa in law in care home this morning. I guess that's cheery. She's a game old thing at 89 I'll give her that.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

4 day weekend :-bd Just played crazy golf with mrs and mini-voodoo plus friend, linch out (which was rubbish), so off riding the bike now
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Cheery. Off work after a fairly intense week babysitting a visitor from our industrial partner at work. Cheeriness started early, last night, when already stuck into a bottle of wine and tea about to go on the table, a friend phoned me. I knew he was due to go to a gig that I hadn't managed to get tickets for... his partner had to go to hospital to get something out of her eye, so there was a spare ticket going. Scranned half my tea, and pedalled wantonly and furiously into a headwind, and half an hour later was sat outside with a pint chatting to my mate and some new friends. Scratched the doom rock itch to Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs and then another pint and more chat.

Revisited a ride I did around the North Tyneside county* boundary from the covid times. For the second time in a week, got the last pie left in the (different) pie shop. Which is ideal, because I'm bad at decisions, particularly when it comes to pie fillings. Got home to find my urgent coffee delivery must have arrived at the same time as the dog walker, because it was inside, rather than at the sorting office - proof of the divinity of coffee if ever it was needed.

*OK, metropolitan borough, pendants.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I love a good cryptic situation and trying to guess what on earth's going on.
Don't worry Reg. Not too long before people will get a chance to slowly shake their heads and mutter, "FFS, what kind of drugs is he on" :-bd
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:43 pm
Don't worry Reg. Not too long before people will get a chance to slowly shake their heads and mutter, "FFS, what kind of drugs is he on" :-bd
I would like to know that now :smile:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Raggedstone wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:02 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:43 pm
I would like to know that now :smile:
Patience is a.... er... erm.....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

New kitchen getting fitted next week. Distinctly uncheery Friday as guess who has to pull the old one out at the weekend?

** decent fnarr there for Reg
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
RIP

Post by RIP »

Dave Barter wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:30 pm ** decent fnarr there for Reg
Ta. Well I'm just stoking the fireplace here, so that's tat for tit :smile: .

RIP

Post by RIP »

Oh and wishing our Sean a very happy birthday of course! Birthday on a Friday, double whammy. Hope Ralph's made a bit of effort with your prezzie.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Oh and wishing our Sean a very happy birthday of course! Birthday on a Friday, double whammy. Hope Ralph's made a bit of effort with your prezzie.
Indeed and does that mean that it is also Ralph's birthday by proxy?
Boab

Post by Boab »

Something to soften the heart of even the most grizzled ditch sleeper...
https://twitter.com/Channel4/status/1625902770648924160
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Well, it's stuff like that can make the most miserable of days cheery Bob.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

After setting up new tv boxes at me Mum's it got a bit late so spent the night there.
Had a quick but deli breakfast, rode my bicycle a little and worked from the train in between with a software glitch. Got home just after 8 and started worked on reports which was more fun than it sounds. I love to see how the data of var. analysis and simply trying thing in the lab come together, crosslink and confirm. Finish one report just before 8 pm... well wortg it though.
Then I went to see what our dear cow fighting Karl is up to. As some surely will know, he's in Anchorage and soon off to ride to McGrath, as is RJ, some might have got know in 2016 (HT550). Both great chaps. Looking forwards to following them on the ITI.
Been interesting to see the "r*igs" (I tol dislike that designation for a bicycle) on bikepacking.com. how it has become common to use a rear rack to fit the big, warm sleeping bag in large roll top bag for ease of use.
That's enough to make me happy.
Oh... and white russian. Cheers folks
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

RIP wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:20 pm Patience is a.... er... erm.....
Card game?
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Cheery here. Snuck out of work early to attend Cotic's inaugural gravel ride. Had a nice ride round the lanes and tracks of NE Derbyshire, then returned to 2 mugs of tea and 2 doughnuts. Bagged a lift back up the big hill to Sheffield, and made it home in time to join the bairns for takeaway curry.

Also, happy birthday Sean! 🎂🍻
Verena

Post by Verena »

Happy birthday Sean for yesterday :cool:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Cheers both, cheery now as drove home from my workshop, but earlier in the day it was looking like not taking a backup bike with me was going to be a mistake.

I was only changing the auxiliary belt tensioner, but the amount of dismantling required is something else :roll:
Thought I might have been looking at a 12 mile walk or trying to cadge a lift.

I've also eaten far too much birthday cake, messaged my friends to say I was at the workshop and I had cake (gift from mum) and said to pop by for a slice. This was to reduce the amount I needed to eat. Trouble was every time someone called in for a slice I ended up having one as well :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger