Nutritional Sups/Meals During a Long Distance Event

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

errol

Re: Nutritional Sups/Meals During a Long Distance Event

Post by errol »

Malt loaf and PBJ sarnies...seem to work ok for all eventualities, I've found!

Sit in the tum ok and dont have the effect like too many gels etc have!
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I got the non portables version of the cook book as it does also have a portables section and it’s very good. I also got some huel but before I can try either I slipped and have done my mcl in.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

My initial thoughts on Huel are pretty good. I got the starter pack and for signing up to their email list I got another £28 pack free. I've had the Salted Caramel Black edition shake as a breakfast and as a lunch. It pretty much tastes a bit like a normal milkshake but has a bit of thickness to the taste, perhaps slightly oaty. I've also tried the Pre-made Vanilla bottle shake and that had the same kind of taste/texture. I have found that after drinking them slowly over 20 odd minutes, I didn't feel hungry, so it did it's job. I also had some of the Mac & Cheese Hot meal as a dinner one day. That was very creamy tasting, but the pasta was still slightly crunchy. I made it as directed, so that might just be a thing, or you need to leave it slightly longer than they say for it to soften. Again, I didn't feel hungry after eating it. All of them have played nicely with my stomach and once my knee allows riding again, I'll try them as a pre ride, on-ride and post ride day, to see how I feel when I am burning Cals. I've still got three other flavour shakes to try and a couple of bars, but I think Might well get some more of it once I have finished this lot.

As for the Tumeric+ tablets, too early to tell, but I have two months worth to trial and see. No issues with the pills themselves, taking them or anything else.

The Indigo Foods Super Green Powers is also too early to tell about any effect. Its playing nicely with my stomach, but taking it is an issue. They suggest 2-8g of powder daily, so we started with 2g and are now up to 4g. You mix it into water and drink it. The problem is it tastes vile. I have to have a glass of something strong tasting right next to it on the counter, so I can down it and immediately drink something to take the taste away. In it's defence though, we did once have another green power (Super Greens I think) and that was also vile. Hopefully it's goodness will help despite the taste.
Last edited by dlovett on Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boab

Post by Boab »

dlovett wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:29 pm The Indigo Foods Super Green Powers is also too early to tell about any effect. Its playing nicely with my stomach, but taking it is an issue. They suggest 2-8g of powder daily, so we started with 2g and are now up to 4g. You mix it into water and drink it. The problem is it tastes vile. I have to have a glass of something strong tasting right next to it on the counter, so I can down it and immediately drink something to take the taste away. In it defence though we did once have another green power and that was also vile. Hopefully it's goodness will help despite the taste.
Stick it in a smoothie, then you can't really taste it. This is based on other green powders I've ingested over the years, not had that one, so YMMV...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Ride LEJOG with a stop at Taylor’s house and you’ll be sorted. Never had better on bike snacks than the one he made.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

I have Huel black for breakfast most mornings, and Huel hot and Savory every day for dinner at work. It does the job but I wouldn't want it when riding. That's where, bars, meal deals, pasties, cafes and pizzas come in to their own.

That said, I've taken the Hot and Savory for my evening meal when camping and it's probably better than any other dehydrated meals I've tried. It takes a lot longer than the advertised 5 minutes to fully rehydrate, but it's not really an issue
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Boab wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:42 pm
dlovett wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:29 pm The Indigo Foods Super Green Powers is also too early to tell about any effect. Its playing nicely with my stomach, but taking it is an issue. They suggest 2-8g of powder daily, so we started with 2g and are now up to 4g. You mix it into water and drink it. The problem is it tastes vile. I have to have a glass of something strong tasting right next to it on the counter, so I can down it and immediately drink something to take the taste away. In it defence though we did once have another green power and that was also vile. Hopefully it's goodness will help despite the taste.
Stick it in a smoothie, then you can't really taste it. This is based on other green powders I've ingested over the years, not had that one, so YMMV...
I had thought of try it, but the idea or ruining my nice fruit smoothie..........

Still I have always hated eating pretty much most green veg, so I didn't really expect to like the stuff. Still medicine's have never tasted nice since I was a kid.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Johnallan wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:57 pm I have Huel black for breakfast most mornings, and Huel hot and Savory every day for dinner at work. It does the job but I wouldn't want it when riding. That's where, bars, meal deals, pasties, cafes and pizzas come in to their own.

That said, I've taken the Hot and Savory for my evening meal when camping and it's probably better than any other dehydrated meals I've tried. It takes a lot longer than the advertised 5 minutes to fully rehydrate, but it's not really an issue
I'll try leaving it a bit long next time to see if it's less crunchy then.
Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

Is the huel hot and savoury a add water to bag type thing or does it involve washing up?
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

It's 'add water to 2 scoops' of dehydrated food. You could use a disposable bag/tub I guess. I used a reusable one
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Smcknighty wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:58 pm Is the huel hot and savoury a add water to bag type thing or does it involve washing up?
They sent me a hot "mug" to make it in. On a trip, I'd normally just pre-weigh it into zip lock plastic bags and then just tip a bag into my normal ti mug with the correct amount of water.

Update it does taste better left and extra couple of minutes. I'm finding that With the salted caramel shakes as well, it's keeping me feeling full and I've actually lost weight.