Tubeless question

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

petemaz

Tubeless question

Post by petemaz »

So, I've been successfully running tubeless for over a year on two bikes and all is good. Every 4/5 months or so, I've been topping up each wheel with some fresh sealant, but at what point do I take the tires off and remove the solidified gunk that I expect will be there and start all over again? What do you folks do? :-bd
fatbikephil

Re: Tubeless question

Post by fatbikephil »

Ignore it until I change tyres. My record is 3 years for sealant (original squirt) and when I took the tyres off there was the usual layer welded to the outside of the tyre carcass but no lumps or congealed bits. Generally I'm changing tyres once a year and it's not an issue. If anyone has a top tip for removing the layer stuck to the tyre I'd be glad to hear it.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

I never bother. Always used Orange endurance sealant and the only time I've needed to top up is when I ran a pair of non TR Maxxis Chronicles tubeless this year. The curious thing was there was no seapage but they just dried out inside. When I take a tyre off to change it I save any left over sealant for reuse in the new tyre because I'm a cheapskate. There always seems to be a build up of solidified sealant around the bead and a thin film everywhere else. I actually pealed it all out once. Rather satisfying, like picking off sunburnt skin. The whole lot weighed next to nothing.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Will depend on the sealant. Had Bontrager blue stuff in for two years and it hadn’t solidified
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I've never felt the need to remove any dried sealant. Once the moisture has evaporated, the weight must be minimal, and it's doing no harm. I think the tubeless tyre I've had on the longest has probably been on for about 4 years.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

fatbikephil wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:47 pm Ignore it until I change tyres. My record is 3 years for sealant (original squirt) and when I took the tyres off there was the usual layer welded to the outside of the tyre carcass but no lumps or congealed bits. Generally I'm changing tyres once a year and it's not an issue. If anyone has a top tip for removing the layer stuck to the tyre I'd be glad to hear it.
Don't use Stans. Conti stuff is easily peeled and that other stuff made of olive stones is even better...
redefined_cycles

IME
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:52 pm
Don't use Stans. Conti stuff is easily peeled and that other stuff made of olive stones is even better...
Ah. Just bought another litre of Stans...
Olive stone stuff? sounds interesting!
redefined_cycles

fatbikephil wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:05 pm
Ah. Just bought another litre of Stans...
Olive stone stuff? sounds interesting!
Let me find you a link. Really good stuff but probably not suitable for the higher pressures of road bikes (I still use it but just needs more regular pumping up).

Goes away to look.....

Here we go https://www.effettomariposa.eu/collecti ... 8357099671
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

DONT
caffelatex - On paper its perfect, no solvents , no residue, does not dry out but when swapping to it I went from one puncture in 4 years [ sidewall slash] to tyres not even sealing properly, constant leaks esp sidewall/bead area and at my second puncture/failure I swapped out - probably less than 4 weeks use across 3 or 4 bikes. Just rubbish.

I have some left and i would post it to you to try out but you have never done me any harm

https://www.effettomariposa.eu/products ... re-sealant

EDIT: my road tyre front had that perfect combination of slow enough leak you did not want to put a tube in but frustrating enough you got sick pumping it up every hour ish. That was bead area and a brand new tubeless tyre.
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

Great advice as always folks,many thanks. I've always used Stan's and so far have been more than happy with it, but I'm in need of new sealant shortly so will look into the olive stuff and also the orange brand. Cheers much, Peter
faustus

Post by faustus »

Just like woodsmith; I use orange endurance the past few years, and I just suck up and re-use anything sloshing around left in the tyre, and top up with some fresh stuff. So far the residue seems pretty light and thin, and I feel that it acts as a mild layer of puncture resistance in itself so just leave it alone, unless there's a bogie-like stringy bit near the bead which I might pick 'n' flick! :grin:
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

I use Oko tractor sealant.
Much cheaper per litre. Also very thick!
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I think I'm up to 4 years without clearing anything out on my gravel bike - just top up with orange sealant every few months. Not one puncture in that time, though to be fair not that much riding comparatively either.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

fatbikephil wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:47 pm Ignore it until I change tyres. My record is 3 years for sealant (original squirt) and when I took the tyres off there was the usual layer welded to the outside of the tyre carcass but no lumps or congealed bits. Generally I'm changing tyres once a year and it's not an issue. If anyone has a top tip for removing the layer stuck to the tyre I'd be glad to hear it.
Happy using Stan's here. Has worked well on various sizes and configurations of tyres, rims and sealing strips (gorilla tape or the proper stuff). In fairness and with regards my experience I don't use anything else because I have a litre and always understood / suspected it was a recipe for problems to chop and change between different types.

My bikes sit around doing SFA a lot of the time but tyres still hold plenty of pressure and even if they need topping it works simply everytime with a regular track pump.
redefined_cycles

Tim. I only really left Stans fully after a few tires became fully vulcanised with the sealant and it couldn't be removed. Nothing against the stuff as such though and I never ever had any 'sealing' problems with it as such. Not sure if I'm referring to the older formula though as I've noth bought Stans for well over 5 years now...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Shaff I have used the effeto normal sealant and it wasn't very good hence returning to Stans. I think Boab tried the olive oil one and found it pretty poor at sealing...
Original squirt was really good. The new stuff is crap...
redefined_cycles

You're right, it does take a bit of getting used to :lol: I think I've had it on the bikes for about 2 years now. Just been out to check the newly tublessed (25c x 700) Giant Garvia tyre. Did the sealant jobby about 10 days ago and not touched the bike since. Air pressure still feels solid.

It does have to have optimal conditions I suppose (rim width/tyre width etc etc). Or maybe I just got fortunate. I think on the Panaracer 33c gravel tires I got a fair few punctures as soon as I went out for the first few rides. Took a while sealing but did the job. The plug definitely isn't as robust as Stans andy next purchase (probably) won't be it again. For low pressures though I've yet to have any issue :grin:
redefined_cycles

fatbikephil wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:02 pm olive oil
Phil, I think I just realised why his version didn't work.mine is made of olive stones, not oil... :lol:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:26 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:02 pm olive oil
Phil, I think I just realised why his version didn't work.mine is made of olive stones, not oil... :lol:
I suppose an olive stone would fill quite a big hole!
Boab

Post by Boab »

fatbikephil wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:02 pm I think Boab tried the olive oil one and found it pretty poor at sealing...
It was utter poor show, so I went back to Orange Endurance.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

It's really rubbish seriously don't use it.
It's so rubbish I won't even give it away.
Mixture of tyres and rims ( all tubeless some new some used tyres MT.B and road and all had failures )
I had more tubeless issues in one month than in the previous decade
redefined_cycles

It's really rubbish seriously don't use it.
It's so rubbish I won't even give it away.
Mixture of tyres and rims ( all tubeless some new some used tyres MT.B and road and all had failures )
I had more tubeless issues in one month than in the previous decade
Bad batch? Maybe the Lancashire water? :smile: :o :grin:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Dont know but it did not work

It was a real shame as it ticks so many boxes, environmentally friendly, non drying, not toxic, but it just did not work[ and i swapped all my tyres over to it and some were new so not sure what the issue could be beyond it being rubbish.
redefined_cycles

Lazarus wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:22 pm Dont know but it did not work

It was a real shame as it ticks so many boxes, environmentally friendly, non drying, not toxic, but it just did not work[ and i swapped all my tyres over to it and some were new so not sure what the issue could be beyond it being rubbish.
Please may I have it off you John if I pay the postage. No rush. Just wanna test the texture etc against mine. It's obviously (assumingly) not a good seller for a reason, judging from the lack of UK resellers.

Thanks in advance...