Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Verena

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by Verena »

Even though I think I am finally succumbing to the cold that young Miss Z has been generously carrying around the house for what feels like two weeks at least, cheery Friday, as I have been feeling really rather happy all week :smile:

And I am looking forward to hopefully passing on the love for cycling tomorrow morning, at least a little bit, to a lovely young woman who has just bought herself a bike and wants some company to get started, so I'll take her for a little ride round the lanes and hope that the rain won't be too bad....
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Verena wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:59 pm Even though I think I am finally succumbing to the cold that young Miss Z has been generously carrying around the house for what feels like two weeks at least, cheery Friday, as I have been feeling really rather happy all week :smile:

And I am looking forward to hopefully passing on the love for cycling tomorrow morning, at least a little bit, to a lovely young woman who has just bought herself a bike and wants some company to get started, so I'll take her for a little ride round the lanes and hope that the rain won't be too bad....
V ... I've been having a less than cheery Friday (too much work) but that just about turned it around. Well done you. Big heart emoji. x
I'm just going outside ...
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

The bad news is that number one son managed to get 5 minutes unsupervised time in my office and largely dismantled the Lego diorama that I’ve slowly been building over the last six months. He even hid most if the pieces in the bin to hide the evidence. The good news is that it’s Lego so I can rebuild it.
Verena

Post by Verena »

TheBrownDog wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:16 pm
Verena wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:59 pm Even though I think I am finally succumbing to the cold that young Miss Z has been generously carrying around the house for what feels like two weeks at least, cheery Friday, as I have been feeling really rather happy all week :smile:

V ... I've been having a less than cheery Friday (too much work) but that just about turned it around. Well done you. Big heart emoji. x
:-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I'm off bivvying so very cheery! Also hopefully sorted old motorcycles persistent oil pressure problems - a bit inconclusive but I'm just going to ride the the thing and see what happens....
See you on the BAM thread tomorrow sometime (spoiler, it will be a dull one) :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

An unusual week this week and one which contained life-changing events, yet (weirdly?) I perhaps feel more at peace with the world than I have for a long time ... it's not a feeling I'm particularly used to but I quite like it.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Verena

Post by Verena »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:07 pm An unusual week this week and one which contained life-changing events, yet (weirdly?) I perhaps feel more at peace with the world than I have for a long time ... it's not a feeling I'm particularly used to but I quite like it.
:smile:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I hope whatever it is isn't too much of a roller coaster Stu :cool:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Recent Fridays have not really been particularly cheery at the Perrinery. However Queen V (rather like Queen Bee but the other end of the alphabet) has started shaping up the SWWB, and the bleakest spot in S Wales (*) seems to have been earmarked as one bivvy location so that's something to look forward to :smile: .

(*) there's a quiz question if ever there was one. Answer on 12th December.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

We've a Co-op membership card meaning you accrue "points" (I think this is 1p per £ of purchases) plus occasional coupons. This morning I went to get a bottle of wine - should have been £7.75 but there was £1.40 off and I'd also go a coupon for that particular brand of wine so another 75p off meaning I paid just £5.60 :-bd It's been sat in the van all day so it needs another hour or so in the fridge to cool down.

Borrowed a chimney brush from my brother so tomorrow's job is sweeping the chimney - what could go wrong? :shock: :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Boab

Post by Boab »

After blowing up a number of chips, and possibly a speaker, we're back in the game with a new breadboard and oscilloscope.

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

RIP wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:27 pm ... the bleakest spot in S Wales...
Ooh, ooh! I know.this one! It's the Castle Hotel in Merthyr Tydfil. What do I win?
RIP

Post by RIP »

whitestone wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:52 pm
Borrowed a chimney brush from my brother so tomorrow's job is sweeping the chimney - what could go wrong? :shock: :lol:
Hope you're brushing up your Dick Van Dyke terrible cockney accent in readiness....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

RIP wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:23 pm
brushing up
Just noticed! Arf! Ohhh please yerself missus.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A phone call just this minute has cheered me up as it seems we're on the shortlist to rehome a Deerhound lurcher.

May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearlegged wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:15 pm
Ooh, ooh! I know.this one! It's the Castle Hotel in Merthyr Tydfil. What do I win?
:smile: Good try that Bear. That would certainly be in the top ten, but not at the coveted top spot.
Last edited by RIP on Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

whitestone wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:52 pm Borrowed a chimney brush from my brother so tomorrow's job is sweeping the chimney - what could go wrong? :shock: :lol:
The last time I swept mum's the brush came off at the top, luckily it was visible sticking out of the pot but needed a triple extension ladder to get up to it :roll:

In the ten years since she's paid a proper sweep to do it, no idea why :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:25 pm A phone call just this minute has cheered me up as it seems we're on the shortlist to rehome a Deerhound lurcher.

I reckon he's got the eyes of Martin Riggs that one. Hope you know what you're letting yourself in for :wink: .

RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearlegged wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:15 pm
A two-night stay, dinner, bed and breakfast at........

...The Castle Hotel in Merthyr Tydfil :-bd

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

RIP wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:23 pm
Hope you're brushing up your Dick Van Dyke terrible cockney accent in readiness....
Cor blimey guv'nor! Awl wight?

What would Mary Poppins think of it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRaycqLnRr4
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Yous are all daft!
V cheery here as it's Friday (obviously) and I've some cutting and burning to do tomorrow plus a nice muddy bike ride Sunday. Beer drinking has just commenced and I'm not doing the BB300 :grin:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Cheery here, just picked up a pair of BB7s (road) I bought of FB marketplace. Nearly new pads, all the bolts and mounts and in a BB7 box so not off a stolen bike. Paid the full asking price of £10 :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:25 pm A phone call just this minute has cheered me up as it seems we're on the shortlist to rehome a Deerhound lurcher.

He looks like he could be very persuasive, even on the phone :lol:

I saw a small window of opportunity in a very autumnal couple of weeks of weather outlook, so took the day off and set the alarm for 5 for a Skiddaw mission. Woke up at 4.58. Off by half 5 and in Keswick for half 7, even with a coffee and bacon sarnie at Rheged. Gorgeous morning, especially when I popped out of the cloud where the road climbs up to the Northumberland/Cumbria border. And the cloud hanging over Blencathra at first light was quite something:

A magnificent inversion over Borrowdale had brought all the photographers out onto Latrigg.

I started on the first of this year's seasonal continental treats - one Christmas tradition I'm happy to see start in September :grin:

Within an hour, the clouds came in and gathered above 2000ft, and normal service was soon resumed on Skiddaw. But I could reliably stand up, and cycle in a roughly straight line on the summit, which passes for calm conditions up there.

Another 10 Wainwrights to bring me to 197. Have planned my final one for the 19th so need to get the others done before, come hell or (quite likely) high water. Three days should do it.
RIP

Post by RIP »

thenorthwind wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:38 pm He looks like he could be very persuasive, even on the phone :lol:
:lol:

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Well chimney now swept (without too much swearing :lol: )

There was a slight problem in that the brush I'd borrowed was probably for a 300mm diameter flue whereas our flue is 200mm meaning the bush was a bit scrunched up so when it got to the top of the chimney it pushed a whole load of soot out onto the roof! :roll: I'll probably buy a more suitably sized brush for future use. Ended up with about a bucket and a half in the stove plus whatever was pushed out of the top.