I saw a hedgehog!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

I saw a hedgehog!

Post by redefined_cycles »

It was as I went out in the backyard to the outhouse and spotted something move fast near the table/chairs. Lurking in the shadows but then the cutie didn't realise I was looking and popped out near the step.

Next doors is full of shrubbery ((and before last month) when I removed the trees that another nieghbour had asked the local 'junkie' to chop down but then he'd left it all in her garden) was a bit of a garden hazard with all sorts of chairs and tables stuck among the chopped tree and all that stuff...

Anyway, it had obviously come from there and prompted the missus to have a go at me for not having planted any trees yet. Very difficult to please and get it right with her so I just smile and nod (it's complicated - wants me to tidy up my stuff but won't allow any shelves or anything and was a nightmare getting approval for my bookshelf - which she's half occupied with kids trophies :grin: :o wonder where some of em went! :lol:

Oh, so back to little cute hedgehog. Looked like a daddy... or maybe a mummy but defo not a teen. Didn't realise they could move so fast. 16 year old wanted to cuddle it and I stopped him. In hindsight I should have let him get prickled! Best ever sighting of something in our back gardens yet. Really really pleased and wanted to shout about it. Message to self... must get loads of messy shrubbery (and some trees).

I'm sick of reminding (local) people why they shouldn't be concreting or using fake (shitty) grass. Unless they have a concrete reason for the concrete but... fake grass is just not on!

Back to the hedgehog... so I quickly and quietly shouted the kids and missus. It hid behind a rock and obviously decided on its next move. We stoof away patiently thinking we might get a better look. Turned round and we thought we'd get fortunate... but it was too fast. Almost like a rat that it managed to somehow get under the really low (I made that) fence! Then it was gone..

Yes Verena, I did think of you. Almost thought I was in Wales for a mo :-bd

Hedgehogs... I finally understand the excitement :grin:
redefined_cycles

Re: I saw a hedgehog!

Oh, and I did try to get a pic for the Wildlife thread. But just as I got my camera ready... it was gone. Poof and an 'oh'. They're fast!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nice one, rare now. Bung some cat food out or summat. Need all the help they can get poor buggers. My mate Uncle Tony is a hedgehog foster parent - he's got three babies at the moment from the hog centre :-bd
Last edited by RIP on Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I put a handful of this out on the front and back lawns each night along with a small bowl of water.

https://www.maltbysstores.co.uk/#!/Comp ... /302836023
Verena

Post by Verena »

How lovely Shaf, such cuties they are!
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Can I borrow your hedgehog to sort out our snail problem please Shaf, should only take a couple of days
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I saw one last week at my mum's Shaf. It was only 5pm so I was quite surprised to see him / her pottering about. I wondered whether it was injured but after an examination* I gave it the all clear. Here it is pretending I can't see it.

*not a vet.

May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Shewie wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:34 am Can I borrow your hedgehog to sort out our snail problem please Shaf, should only take a couple of days
That was the first thing the missus said. I never knew how cute they were as I've only ever seen em in a ball. Will tell her (the bullying missus) about the cat food as she's gone and bought one that inly likes human food!

In fact I'll go and explore her garden now ans see if I can grab a pic...
redefined_cycles

Mittens the spoilt little cat (who doesn't like me, nor cat food.. has to be cooked chicken which we're working on/against).

HUX

Post by HUX »

A few weeks ago I spotted a small poo by the garage doors and reckoned it was a hedgehog. I made a wooden box, filled it with straw and put some cat biscuits inside. For 3 nights running the food had gone and something had been curled up in the straw. Then we caught it on camera going straight in the box :-bd
The next morning I checked the box. The slab had been pushed off the top, the box was all on the piss and had been lifted up onto another slab and was covered in muddy marks and there was black and white hairs in the entrance hole :shock: 'SH!T a badgers ate it' :cry: ..........no more activity for a week.
Moved the hedgehog house into the garden and cut a hole in the bottom af the gate, put some food out and kept our fingers crossed. ITS BACK. weve seen it 3 times now and it spent all day yesterday asleep in the box. Our nightlty routine now is to go outside about 2030 and see if wr can see it or listen to it crunching the biscuits in the box, its better than the TV :-bd
redefined_cycles

HUX wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:05 am A few weeks ago I spotted a small poo by the garage doors and reckoned it was a hedgehog. I made a wooden box, filled it with straw and put some cat biscuits inside. For 3 nights running the food had gone and something had been curled up in the straw. Then we caught it on camera going straight in the box :-bd
The next morning I checked the box. The slab had been pushed off the top, the box was all on the piss and had been lifted up onto another slab and was covered in muddy marks and there was black and white hairs in the entrance hole :shock: 'SH!T a badgers ate it' :cry: ..........no more activity for a week.
Moved the hedgehog house into the garden and cut a hole in the bottom af the gate, put some food out and kept our fingers crossed. ITS BACK. weve seen it 3 times now and it spent all day yesterday asleep in the box. Our nightlty routine now is to go outside about 2030 and see if wr can see it or listen to it crunching the biscuits in the box, its better than the TV :-bd
Oh wow.. thanks Hux. Got a pic of your box pls. Gmail would work of you don't know (ie. taken the course on) how to attach pics here :-bd
HUX

Post by HUX »

pm sent Shaf.......ive just put some food out ready for tonight and saw the hedgehog again. Its made a den under a pile of dry leaves :-bd
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:11 am

Oh wow.. thanks Hux. Got a pic of your box pls. Gmail would work of you don't know (ie. taken the course on) how to attach pics here :-bd
If you fancy a spot of DIY here's the plans for the one I made...

https://www.rspb.org.uk/get-involved/ac ... hog-house/
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

A few months ago my missus said to me, "Sort those rats out in the back garden". I asked why she thought there were rats so she showed me some droppings on the patio. They didn't look like the normal liquorice comfit shapes that rats leave, bit of googling and it turns out it was a hedgehog. It amuses me the way they go up on tippy-toes when they run. When we did the fence I left a gap for them to come and go, they do a good job of keeping the slugs and snails down.
redefined_cycles

johnnystorm wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:59 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:11 am

If you fancy a spot of DIY here's the plans for the one I made...

https://www.rspb.org.uk/get-involved/ac ... hog-house/
Thanks. Yes, I'm on it. Hux sent me a pic of his too so will see what I can make with yours and his plans combined. :smile:

Watch this space (need to let the wood dry out now!
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:00 pm

Thanks. Yes, I'm on it. Hux sent me a pic of his too so will see what I can make with yours and his plans combined. :smile:

Watch this space (need to let the wood dry out now!
Multi floor hedgehog Palace! :-bd
redefined_cycles

Yes... I was thinking that. Apparently they like warmth especially for hibernating so I may use some 5mm flooring underlay. Ventilation (your plans mention the pipe trick) might then become more a problem so might need to make a cavity :lol:

Roof I'm thinking non-apex (whats the normal house roofs called again) but then I might need to get some flashing. No cats will be able to throw that off hopefully if I have it fitting correctly. Just bought a new JG and it needs wood to cut before I do the work that actually needs doing (not that hedgehogs aren't top of the list and it seems I only have days left before they go for hibernatiom (and it might take a while for em to take).
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I think you need to consult the hedgehog before making these important decisions on it's house :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:29 pm Roof I'm thinking non-apex (whats the normal house roofs called again)
Slates/tiles/shingles - depends on what they are made of...
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:43 pm I think you need to consult the hedgehog before making these important decisions on it's house :lol:
I do agree. Went looking for it earlier today and wondered which parts of the garden it dosses in. Not many spots in mine though there are a few sheltrs and lots of snails. It's gonna have the best home in the street... maybe even a little telly for the long hibernation...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:19 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:43 pm I think you need to consult the hedgehog before making these important decisions on it's house :lol:
I do agree. Went looking for it earlier today and wondered which parts of the garden it dosses in. Not many spots in mine though there are a few sheltrs and lots of snails. It's gonna have the best home in the street... maybe even a little telly for the long hibernation...
:grin: great image of hedgehogs lazing about in their sheds watching telly and saying things like "are you going to get up this spring?" "nah, the owner of this house is always putting out cat food and saucers of beer with slugs dissolved in them so I'm just going to stay here all summer"
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:32 am Mittens the spoilt little cat (who doesn't like me, nor cat food.. has to be cooked chicken which we're working on/against).

A moggy with refined taste.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

ledburner wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:02 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:32 am Mittens the spoilt little cat (who doesn't like me, nor cat food.. has to be cooked chicken which we're working on/against).

Have you ever met one without?
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

thenorthwind wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:55 am

But they are called strays... Apparently cats have keener taste that dogs, so freshness is very important, as their immune system are not quite so ribust
Yes, a few!
Feline stray!
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
redefined_cycles

ledburner wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:15 am
thenorthwind wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:55 am

But they are called strays... Apparently cats have keener taste that dogs, so freshness is very important, as their immune system are not quite so ribust
Yes, a few!
Feline stray!
Don't mind him Dan... He's from up North. All posh up there :grin: