Tell me about the winter event?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Tell me about the winter event?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Hello everybody :smile:

Following from Daves thread on 'favourite events' (mine is the bb200 so just hope I can stay strongish enough for it), it just got me thinking that I don't quite understand the Winter Event.

I get the bb200 obviously as I've attempted it thrice, and also understand the 'winter bivvy'. I know that the Welsh Ride Thingy is where Stu throws out grid references and you collect them at your leisure if you want. Kind of like the trailquests but without the pressure or points.

What I don't actually quite get is the Winter Event. Obviously, I know it's a Bearbones event in winter and seems to start somewhere near the towers (wherever/whatever that is, though I imagine it's Dee/Stus place). What I'm actually wanting to know is how do people ride it and get through whatever 'it' is. Is there lots of partying and booze making. Is there grid references or a line of a map. Is it under pressure and does it have a time limit... etc etc etc.

Maybe I made the post to get out of loft stuff building or get away from picking up a shift. Or maybe I'm getting sad at not having driven my bike for almost 2 weeks, though I think I still have a plan. Maybe I actually think the Tarptent Notch which is yet to be saved up for, a couple of sleeping bags and decent tires will see me through it. With prayers being done in the tent or some sort of shelter enroute and ablution (thats the killer part in the freeze for me) 'figured out' with maybe the help of a stove.

I'll probably hear the tough stories and realise it's not for me. But hoping to have a few variations of experiences and narratives (maybe some photos if you could be bothered) to read through and maybe encourage me on to sell the road bike and buy the tent!
Blackhound

Re: Tell me about the winter event?

Post by Blackhound »

Shaf, the winter event is like the WRT, just over two days and the rain is colder. Do what you want for as long as you want.
It starts at the same place as the BB200
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Blackhound wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:35 am Shaf, the winter event is like the WRT, just over two days and the rain is colder.
:lol:
Too far to trek for me. I did idly contemplate organising a Scottish one but I just don't have the time unfortunately.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think Kevin summed it up very well :wink:

Yes, very similar to the WRT Shaf, except there's usually some theme that links the GR together - 'Ford Fiesta' all fords. 'Dam Busters' all dams, etc, etc (although sometimes it's more of a destination thing and the GR point you towards it). There's also BB goodies too. Ride 10 miles or ride 100, 'tis up to you.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Basically the WRT in winter. Stu hands out some grid references and John Climber ignores them! Starts/finishes at the same place (the community centre in Llanbrynmair) as the BB200. Only time pressure is to get back to the centre before Dee and Stu shut it up on Sunday night.

Because of the weather most tend to make use of the various bothies or other shelters, I think there were eight of us at Nant Syddion the other year trying to dry out kit. I've done three (maybe four, can't remember) and most have been damp to some extent. If things are damp then many of the bridleways are "interesting" so in some regards it's better sticking to road or better tracks. I've not had a genuinely "frozen" winter event, of course there's nothing to say that it can't happen.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I recall the first one was cold / snowy and the third or maybe 4th was very cold - Wenchie, Chew and myself came out of a pub in Talybont to completely frozen bikes at 8pm but it was a nearly full moon and riding the tracks around Nant-y-moch later that night was wonderful, if a bit slippery. :wink:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Thanks everyone. Sounds exciting :lol: I love (not) solidly frozen bikes. Thanks for the tip on sticking to better tracks. Let me see how I get on and might just join when time comes :grin:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Walking out of the George Borrow into a massive deluge at 7pm with no plan at all was one of my most character-building moments ever. Big compliments to BDS and Frog for inexplicably following me. Also compliments to everyone else in the bar for just booking rooms for the night. Don't even ask what Trep did :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

RIP wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:24 pm Walking out of the George Borrow into a massive deluge at 7pm with no plan at all was one of my most character-building moments ever. Big compliments to BDS and Frog for inexplicably following me. Also compliments to everyone else in the bar for just booking rooms for the night. Don't even ask what Trep did :smile: .
Walking straight back in to the bar would have been my choice !
RIP

Post by RIP »

The beer was very iffy that night, in fact I think the rain tasted better than the beer....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
godivatrailrider

Sort of half interested in this myself now I have a warm sleeping bag... will certainly be keeping my eyes (and options) open for more details.
HUX

Post by HUX »

Came out of a pub in Carno i think it was with Mike to 2 frozen bikes. Didnt ride much further and dossed fully clothed in bivi bags under some bushes then spent till lunchtime the next day stuck in granny ring due to frozen gears. Fun times :grin:
godivatrailrider

Is there a date set yet or is that a closely guarded secret of those in the know?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Usually second weekend in Jan. Entries will go live on Nov 1st.
godivatrailrider

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:19 am Usually second weekend in Jan. Entries will go live on Nov 1st.
:-bd