What does / would your 'ultimate' shelter look like?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

What does / would your 'ultimate' shelter look like?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As we tend to spend some time simply lying on the floor and thinking, I'm wondering whether you've found your perfect shelter or if your wandering mind has conjured up something as yet, unavailable. Maybe a hybrid of two different shelters?

Just general interest really.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richpips

Re: What does / would your 'ultimate' shelter look like?

Post by Richpips »

I've tried loads and keep on coming back to the transverse ridge design.

I currently own a Laser Ultra 1, F10 Helium UL2 and an Alpkit Aeronaut 1.
ton

Post by ton »

something a 6ft 4'' tall 4ft wide bloke can fit in.
that is light, quick to erect and does not cost lots.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

No condensation ever
Goes up outer first
Weighs nowt
Midge proof
Does not need an extra footprint
Can sit up and eat in it
Huge porch
No bendy poles
Rock solid zips
Costs next to nothing
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No condensation ever
Goes up outer first
Weighs nowt
Midge proof
Can sit up and eat in it
Huge porch
No bendy poles
Rock solid zips
Costs next to nothing
Will it need to pack down small enough to fit through the opening in a standard issue high street bin?
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

I'm fairly pleased with my Lunar Solo, although the first couple of times I used it I didn't rate it at all. Now I leave at least one door tied back and both if the wind doesn't shift. Using the mid guys also help especially when it's windy. Be interesting to see how it is in winter. If conditions look particularly harsh the MSR Elixir will be dug out again.

I am drawn to the minimalism of a tarp, though as I am to the winged teeth as sh1t is to flies I would probably need a bivy bag with netting attached. The other appealing thing about a tarp is, I don't think that they need quite as much floor space as the Lunar Solo does. (Quite possibly wrong here, let me know if so). I've never had a night in woodland as I've never found a place big enough to pitch, but it's easy to find places where I could imagine a tarp would go. So I may try a tarp next year if funds allow.

So I suppose my ultimate shelter would depend on conditions and the area really.
Last edited by Rob S on Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:25 pm
No condensation ever
Goes up outer first
Weighs nowt
Midge proof
Can sit up and eat in it
Huge porch
No bendy poles
Rock solid zips
Costs next to nothing
Will it need to pack down small enough to fit through the opening in a standard issue high street bin?
Good point. USA bin aperture must be taken into account
RIP

Post by RIP »

Good question this. Need to apply further thought but my snap reply would be that there Gatewood. Love my flat tarp(s) but Gatewood for all-round satisfaction. But then I rarely contend with m****s.

One 'improvement' I need to try is the idea of a transverse stick across the hood gap, from both ends of which the lifters could be suspended. At the mo I pick up two random sticks to lift the lines and peg down.

If not Gatewood, any random shed will do me.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
jameso

Post by jameso »

I used tarps for years but I do like the Gatewood cape and Bearpaw Lair type of shelter now. Light, fast to pitch and good cover. But the location of the pole they need is a minor annoyance and if there were more height at the edges that would be useful. They've little room when sat up also. I always end up doing awkward shuffles under it (haha I re-read that .. but will leave it in for the schoolboy humour value).

It'd be interesting to take the best aspects of the shaped tarp tent and simply increase the space under it without increasing the footprint. That means more material but maybe only 25% of the 400g that's needed. Worth it. The wind resistance would need looking at if it's higher but perhaps the right shape could be quite effective if pitched in the right direction.

I know some think it's wrong but using the bike to support a tarp is under-utilised. A bike, 2 pegs and 4m of cord can be a very stable high anchor point for such little added kit or weight carried. The supporting line can make a useful tarp apex. I used to set my tarp up off my bike so that water bottles and the frame bag were accessible from under the tarp, very handy for making a comfy brew in the morning.

So I'd like a fairly high/deep-sided, wedge-shaped shaped tarp tent that can use a bike to set up, or and equivalent pole. It wouldn't have the protection of a full tent but it'd aim at equalling a Gatewood/Lair for similar weight and pack size. It'd probably open up on the longer sides rather than the front and the side could pin back fully or be propped up. With a ~30cm 2pc pole at the foot it'd have the space without a large footprint and that could pack alongside the tarp itself. One for autocad, just out of interest.
^ this one may do after the first properly wet night.
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

I quite like cricket pavilions. Toilet blocks feel a bit claustrophobic and bus shelters are often OK for an hour but there's more chance of being disturbed. I'm yet to try a church entrance but they look reasonably inviting
ootini

Post by ootini »

Easy... its an SMD Skyscape Trekker hybrid, BUT the central spine is narrower, and therefore the tent is taller. Id suggest the spine pole is removable, and reduced to about two inches in length, as opposed to the current 6/7 inches. This means the main poles would be a little longer and therefore carbon as standard, but the tent would be taller, and when the panels were peeled back would give an almost uninterrupted view of the sky. Oh and it should probably be made from some superlight space age stuff...

Perfect!

Here's a photo of an actual SMD scout (cheaper version), with the 7" at peak, 24" at foot panel that I'd like to make a lot narrower at the peak.

Gpl23

Post by Gpl23 »

I finally found the one. The Tarptent Notch Li. Ticks all the boxes.
Light, quick and easy to set up, very stable, great inner space especially
at head when laying down, and the only tent i have managed to
get totally drum tight when pitching.
Pitches with 4 pegs, inner and outer together.
Also just the right amount of mesh on inner and 2 doors and vestibules.
since i bought it i have lost interest in buying more tents, thats how good it is. :lol:
295856690_5700604289958563_5448746158653395776_n (1).jpg
295856690_5700604289958563_5448746158653395776_n (1).jpg (109.45 KiB) Viewed 1124 times
RIP

Post by RIP »

Johnallan wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:01 am I quite like cricket pavilions. Toilet blocks feel a bit claustrophobic and bus shelters are often OK for an hour but there's more chance of being disturbed. I'm yet to try a church entrance but they look reasonably inviting
Good ones John, yes done all those, and the clever thing is they fulfil the 'dual use' requirement of bikepacking: pavilion you can watch the match before kipping; toilet block fairly obvious dual/triple/quadruple use; bus shelter you can catch a bus home if things go pear-shaped; and church entrance (and graveyard of course - big fan) you can pray if things go really pearshaped.

Of course the holy grail is a combination of the above or other types of abode (barns, cow byres, bird hides are all fab places to kip), for example I kipped in a toilet block in a graveyard in Leominster last year.

We had a thread ages ago about the most unusual 'things' Boners have kipped in... (not geographically, shelter-wise..).. I've done hen-houses, disused conservatories, pub garden 'pods', caves, etc etc....
Last edited by RIP on Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:24 am, edited 5 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don't think that they need quite as much floor space as the Lunar Solo does. (Quite possibly wrong here, let me know if so). I've never had a night in woodland as I've never found a place big enough to pitch, but it's easy to find places where I could imagine a tarp would go. So I may try a tarp next year if funds allow.
You're right Rob. Because a tarp is simply a canopy, you only really require enough room to lie down. More room obviously allows for a more orthodox pitch but you can usually generate something useful when it's limited. I've been playing around with a £5 tarp recently I bought from an industrial / agricultural merchants. It's about the size of most 'proper' 1 person tarps and weighs around 250g. It won't last forever but I reckon you could easily get a couple of years from one.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

trekker stealth with a bit more head room*, no more weight and self pitching design that squashes down to the size of an orange [ and not even a big orange]
All tents are the eternal compromise between weight, size, height, functionality and stability and any UK tent has to pitch outer first and have midge protection

* i can with care just about get in and out but , reading the tarp bit above - basically if you can lie a mat down you can pitch the stealth so done plenty of woodland bivvy type pitches
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

That Tarptent Notch ticks all of my walking tent boxes and I wish you hadn't posted it....
Boab

Post by Boab »

I have a kock-off Lunar Solo, the 3F UL Lanshan 1. I have to agree with a lot of Dave's points:
  • No condensation ever
  • Weighs nowt
  • Midge proof
  • Does not need an extra footprint
  • Can sit up and move around without touching the sides
  • Huge porch
  • Rock solid zips
  • Costs next to nothing

I'm not "tall", but I find I'm forever brushing against the skin of the tent and getting damp. The foot of my quilt, regardless of how I sleep, always seems to end up against the side and gets damp. This is with all the side tie outs in use. Ideally it woulds be slightly wider, slightly higher, pitch better, i.e. with a proper gap around the bottom. It may just be that I wouldn't have these issue with an actual Lunar Solo, but 🤷...

I would like to try the SMD Skyscape Trekker though, and I would really like to try the Zpacks Plex; although given what I've just said, maybe an Altaplex would be betterer.

Edit: Having thought about it a bit more, what I'd like is a tent where I don't have to be a contortionist to get out of and into my clothing, without touching the side. Ideally a 800g Quasar...
Last edited by Boab on Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

After much searchin I think I'm settled on the Tarptent Notch. Non-li version to make it last and less scrunchy. Yet to afford and buy it but am certain it'll be the last tent I buy (God Willing).
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Bivi bagged, tarped, hammocked, tented......
If I had to ditch all y kit but one the Luna Solo would be the keeper.

It's open front is great if no midges and no rain, just like a tarp with a big foot print
then seal it up when conditions require.
With a rigid Bear Bones pole it's the best that I have found and my go to kit if the conditions aren't 100% perfect
benp1

Post by benp1 »

The one I'd really like to try next is the Aeon Li. It ticks a lot of my boxes. My main problem is that I'm tall so can't find in many shelters comfortably without risk of touching the sides

If they could make the Scarp 1 pack smaller and lighter that would probably be ideal. It's about 500g heavier than I'd like but it's a bloody good tent (I have one)
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Deschutes for me - very roomy, as good as can be for condensation, fairly weather proof and a nice place to be after a long day out. I 'spose to be ideal then one in DCF so it's lighter.
But I do like flat tarping despite a few 'challenges' this year. Tin sheds also score highly, particularly when located in remote / dense / soggy woodland.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

That Aeon Li is almost my perfect tent! Apart from the fact it looks a bit see-through? Shame they don't make a non-Dyneema version. Seems like a nicer made version of my cheapy River Country Products one of those style ones off of Amazon
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:20 am
I don't think that they need quite as much floor space as the Lunar Solo does. (Quite possibly wrong here, let me know if so). I've never had a night in woodland as I've never found a place big enough to pitch, but it's easy to find places where I could imagine a tarp would go. So I may try a tarp next year if funds allow.
You're right Rob. Because a tarp is simply a canopy, you only really require enough room to lie down. More room obviously allows for a more orthodox pitch but you can usually generate something useful when it's limited. I've been playing around with a £5 tarp recently I bought from an industrial / agricultural merchants. It's about the size of most 'proper' 1 person tarps and weighs around 250g. It won't last forever but I reckon you could easily get a couple of years from one.
Considering the cost and weight that sounds perfect for someone who wants to 'dip a toe'. Does it have a brand name?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Considering the cost and weight that sounds perfect for someone who wants to 'dip a toe'. Does it have a brand name?
No name as far as I can see Rob. However, it came from these people (albeit not via their on-line outlet) and is similar to the one below but not exactly the same (mine's camo and a different size). What you're looking for is 80gsm. If you're going to use the eyelets, you might want to reinforce the area around them with tape as they can pull out.

https://www.charlies.co.uk/multi-purpos ... -x-3m.html
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

RIP wrote: I kipped in a toilet block in a graveyard in Leominster last year
Jeez I bet that was scary 😳…. Leominster I mean !