Any simple route planning apps

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rockbus

Any simple route planning apps

Post by Rockbus »

I know lots of people like to carefully plot their routes either good old fashioned maps or maybe via apps.
But for someone who is new to bike packing like me, is there a simple planner a bit like Google maps where I can just put in my start and finish post codes and it will just plot me a route following roads and gravel paths?
voodoo_simon

Re: Any simple route planning apps

Post by voodoo_simon »

https://cycle.travel/

And Komoot if you simply want to plot the start and finish and let the app do the rest, but it gets tricky when you want to plot the route yourself. Can be frustrating when you initially use Komoot, not sure why it’s so popular with media+social media outlets
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As Simon says, the Cycle Travel site works well. I sometimes use it if I simply want to get from A to B over a considerable distance and I'm not too bothered how I do it.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Rockbus

Post by Rockbus »

That looks perfect (presuming I can export box to wahoo bolt)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That looks perfect (presuming I can export box to wahoo bolt)
Just save the route as a gpx track, download it and then upload it to your gps.
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:55 pm https://cycle.travel/

And Komoot if you simply want to plot the start and finish and let the app do the rest, but it gets tricky when you want to plot the route yourself. Can be frustrating when you initially use Komoot, not sure why it’s so popular with media+social media outlets
Forgotten about that one - it works really well. I've just bunged in a few test routes and it pretty much agrees with what I would do. Dragging routes to alternatives seems to work very well also and will export to GPX.
nigelp

Post by nigelp »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:55 pm https://cycle.travel/

That looks good.
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Can be frustrating when you initially use Komoot, not sure why it’s so popular with media+social media outlets
Advertising budget
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

What about https://ridewithgps.com/ ? I used it for ages and once used to its eccentricities it's great, and I love the various map options it offers. I have zero experience with anything else though, so am happy to be told to STFU so more user friendly and comprehensive options can be considered. I do like it though.
I'm just going outside ...
Filetagebelge

Post by Filetagebelge »

+1 for Ride With GPS. I find it easy to use, except perhaps for the search function for finding existing routes. I like the fact you can use it with Open Street Map. It's especially handy for me because I use a Garmin GPSMaps that also has OSM loaded on it.

Cheers,
Johnny