Atlantis

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Atlantis

Post by RIP »

Now we know why Stu keeps adding event GR's offshore out in the bay :smile: . I definitely need to borrow one of JC's packrafts now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62605682

"Re-enchanting the land". I rather like the sound of that.

Although as it says, more soberingly, "people living around Cardigan Bay could become some of Britain's first climate change refugees, within our lifetimes". Fairbourne's already potentially earmarked for abandonment.
Last edited by RIP on Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Atlantis

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You've just reminded me of something .... if you've been to Mach recently(ish) you may have noticed a milk vending machine outside Huw Lewis tyres opposite the Top Chippy? Anyway, there's an interesting sign attached to it explaining that legend says, one of the kings from the now sunken lands off Cardigan bay is buried at the farm where the milk for the machine comes from ... there you go.

I also find 'Bird Rock' especially interesting as it was once a sea cliff (hence the nesting sea birds) yet is now a way inland. Quite easy to imagine the sea lapping at the base 500 years ago.

May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:14 pm noticed a milk vending machine outside Huw Lewis tyres
Did it just appear mysteriously one day like in science fiction stories? It's probably the polymorph from Red Dwarf. Best not go near it or it'll suck your brains out.
one of the kings from the now sunken lands off Cardigan bay is buried at the farm where the milk for the machine comes from
Could be. Although aren't kings meant to go down with their islands in a similar fashion to captains of ships? I may be getting a little mixed up here.
Last edited by RIP on Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:14 pm I also find 'Bird Rock' especially interesting as it was once a sea cliff (hence the nesting sea birds) yet is now a way inland. Quite easy to imagine the sea lapping at the base 500 years ago.
Great place. I can't quite get my head round the geological/marine upheavals in the area. Sea inundates around Barmouth etc but retreats around Harlech etc. Presumably more complex than that - mebbe the land seaward of Bird's is just Dysynni alluvium. I should have paid more attention in Geography.

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bird Rock, the Tremadog cliffs and the plug of rock that Harlech Castle sits on were all once sea cliffs. Harlech Castle had a sea gate for example.

Much is down to post glacial rebound - basically the UK is rising/ has risen after the weight of the ice from the last ice age has gone. Think of it like an apple bobbing in the sea. The uplift isn't consistent, generally the west coast is rising whilst the east is either static or slightly sinking. As prominentaries rise/sink they affect near shore currents hence a lot of deposition around Harlech.

The melting ice also caused sea levels to rise so it's not quite so simple. There's not so much deposition, maybe none, around Barmouth/Fairbourne so that's more affected by sea levels as opposed to Harlech where the deposition is outpacing sea rise.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

Good stuff Bob. You're nothing like my Geography O-level teacher 48 years ago by the way. His nickname was "Bullet", for reasons which quickly became obvious to new pupils.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That looks perfect (presuming I can export box to wahoo bolt)
Aye, it was sited there as it gave command over the coast, yet now landlocked.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Much is down to post glacial rebound - basically the UK is rising/ has risen after the weight of the ice from the last ice age has gone. Think of it like an apple bobbing in the sea. The uplift isn't consistent, generally the west coast is rising whilst the east is either static or slightly sinking. As prominentaries rise/sink they affect near shore currents hence a lot of deposition around Harlech.
It's the timescales of these events that fascinate me. It makes you realise how temporary everything is, even countries. At least, as we know them.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

The Tremadog crags are dolomitic limestone, so I imagine that the area was underwater at some point.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Rob S wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:35 pm The Tremadog crags are dolomitic limestone, so I imagine that the area was underwater at some point.
Actually they are dolerite.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

whitestone wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:16 pm
Rob S wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:35 pm The Tremadog crags are dolomitic limestone, so I imagine that the area was underwater at some point.
Actually they are dolerite.
:oops: Ah, yes. Totally different rock type. I haven't looked at the Tremadog guide for a while.
RIP

Post by RIP »

whitestone wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:16 pm Actually they are dolerite.
And as luck would have it, dolerite is Rock Of The Month! Yay :-bd

https://www.nwt.org.uk/rock-month-dolerite

Boab

Post by Boab »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:14 pm You've just reminded me of something .... if you've been to Mach recently(ish) you may have noticed a milk vending machine outside Huw Lewis tyres opposite the Top Chippy? Anyway, there's an interesting sign attached to it explaining that legend says, one of the kings from the now sunken lands off Cardigan bay is buried at the farm where the milk for the machine comes from ... there you go.
I ate my chips next to that vending machine while sheltering from the drizzle on the WRT. Should prolly have read the signage... 😳
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.