Universal front pouch

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Universal front pouch

Post by ootini »

Hi All.

Seen a lot of people using front pouches and small bags which connect to the bar harness / drybag, to store food and bits of stuff. I was curious, are there any bags like this which are universal, and don't rely on a particular harness being used ? Something that simply wraps around the bar bag and possibly around the bars to hold it in place?

Thanks
slarge

Re: Universal front pouch

Post by slarge »

The Wildcat lioness does - it uses the bars not the harness to secure itself. I sold mine ages ago though as it drooped onto the front wheel ( sus forks, very short head tube)
faustus

Post by faustus »

I think the ortlieb one can be used by itself too:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I think there are a few you can easily modify - the ortileb one listed , an Alpkit roo [ you buy additional straps but you need to change ends for it to work- dont seem to list the straps anymore as just looked]

the ortileb is probably the easiest but it aint cheap.
personally i try to avoid using mine as its so convenient you fill it up
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I use a topeak one - can velcro onto bars on it's own or strap around a bar roll. I ended up switching buckles around to allow it to attach to my Revelate sweetroll which you can't do on the Ortleib
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The Acepac one is really good but you'll probably struggle to get one. The Alpkit one also works well but isn't as big ... which may suit better.

You could also buy one of these for £6.60 from ebay and just add some straps :wink:

May the bridges you burn light your way
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Id echo the Ortlieb suggestion, I've had one for 5 years and it works well, there are aluminium g clips that work with their bar roll but a strong strap that goes round the bars. Lots of manufacturers only work best if you use their roll and pouch, a way to lock you in to buying both, but I've found the ortlieb to be robust and waterproof so pack my fragile stuff (such as my ego) in there.
As an aside, aimed at Stu as he sells/sold their stuff, what has happened to Acapac? I only see their products in clearance sections and not new stock, have they ceased trading, it would be a pity as they do good quality kit.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

have they ceased trading, it would be a pity as they do good quality kit.
No importer anymore Duncan. I don't know what supply is like on the continent though. I've just bought up the last rear harnesses and dry bags, which I'll be offering here at a decent discount when they arrive but after that, that'll be it.
May the bridges you burn light your way
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Supply is sporadic here too, they just appear in clearance sales and then it's odd items. Guess the distributor giving up is understandable given the current shitshow. Must be more trouble than it's worth trading in niche products from EU suppliers. Recently tried to buy a gasket and oil change grub screw for my Rohloff from SJS Cycles, cost of parts £5, shipping and duty £36.
Last edited by pistonbroke on Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:46 pm
have they ceased trading, it would be a pity as they do good quality kit.
No importer anymore Duncan. I don't know what supply is like on the continent though. I've just bought up the last rear harnesses and dry bags, which I'll be offering here at a decent discount when they arrive but after that, that'll be it.
:HAND UP: IF you get either the 16 or 8 litres drybags for the rear harness I'd be up for either or both, ta :cool:
barney

Post by barney »

Hi Dave,

The wildcat gets my vote. Fits on a number of different options/sizes of bags and and different bars types.

You can also easily get replacement straps when you lose them like a buffoon!
Wait for me...
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

I've just had an Acepac one turn up today from Bikester. Only went with them as Stuart indicated he wouldn't be getting a hold of them again. No issues buying from Bikester (German, I think) took about 4 days to turn up and no import charges. £53 delivered.

First impressions are it's good quality and versatile. I want it to be able to lose a back pack on commutes, day trips and longer bikepacking trips too. I thought it may be able to expand a little but the strap on the top isn't extendable. Maybe I can fashion something to make it bigger.

I'm after a 8l dry bag, Stuart, when you get them in.
robsmuddygloves

Post by robsmuddygloves »

Stu, will you be getting any of the saddle pack harness dry bags? If so, please let me know, if possible. They're great bits of kit, I got a handlebar and seat pack harness from you. If not, might need to get my mum to get me some of their stuff, she's Czech and frequently goes back to the motherland.