Isle of Wight bike hire

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rob S

Isle of Wight bike hire

Post by Rob S »

I suppose that this question is directed towards Sean really, but I thought I'd post it here in case others wanted to contribute.

We're on the Isle of Wight beginning of August, whilst there I'd like to hire some bikes for a day. I have found three bike hire shops, but where would be the best considering:

A, My wife and lad don't like riding on the road, so minimal or very quiet roads.
B, Nothing technical at all, just rolling along gentle tracks.

Thanks for any suggestions.
sean_iow

Re: Isle of Wight bike hire

Post by sean_iow »

Where are the bike hire places you've found located?

TAV in Ryde do bike hire (great independent LBS) and if you walked across town (5 min) you could then cycle to Newport on cycle tracks (mixed surface and un-surfaced) and from there get to Cowes or Sandown all without having to ride on a road. There are all pretty flat as well as they mainly follow the old railway lines. Lots of opportunities for food and drinks.

I also know there is one at Yarmouth, its right by the old railway line so you could ride through to Freshwater off road on the flat on a good gravel track or going the other way towards Wellow on the back roads would be quiet, and you could stop at the cafe at West Wight Alpacas or push on a bit to Chessell Pottery cafe which is more a cycle cafe that now only has the odd pot there.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Rob S

Re: Isle of Wight bike hire

Post by Rob S »

TAV was recommended by someone my wife knows as well, will make some enquiries. With a bit more searching there's also Wight cycle hire, Route Fifty7, Two elements, Isle cycle and South Island hire. Spoilt for choice really.

Are the old railway lines part of the Red Squirrel Trail? Found some photos, looks perfect for family cycling :-bd . Cheers for that.