Bike security

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benp1

Bike security

Post by benp1 »

What do you guys use to secure your bike when you're bikepacking (and thinking about weight load)

I'm thinking about situations like stopping at pubs and shops, as well bothys and other stops. Bivvys to a certain extent I guess
johnnystorm

Re: Bike security

Post by johnnystorm »

Knog Party Frank if I feel it necessary. All covered in silicone do it doesn't clank or dent anything and a handy wrist loop for the key. Not high security but enough to stop someone wheeling my bike off too easily.
Davesmate

Post by Davesmate »

I use one of thesehttp://www.bicyclehero.com/gb/bicyclehe ... tJwoZqYbIU

Not the last word in bike security but enough to put off the opportunist and compact enough to fit in a pocket
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I actually have one of those already, got it for locking the buggy when out with the kids. Find the cable quite short, will probably get something similar but with a longer cable

When do you take them and when do you use it? I wonder if I'm being a townie and worry about security where in places one would be bikepacking the risk is lower? Pub lunch when raining is a good example
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have to admit that I never usually take any sort of lock with me. Any bivvy locations are far enough away from civilization that I don't have to worry about passers-by. Pub/cafe stops (if any) I just try to leave the bike where I can see it. I guess my overconfidence might et the better of me one day.

You might also want to park it up, then flick through all the gears without turning the cranks. The resulting crunch might be enough delay to let you catch someone trying to make off with it :-)
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Small cable lock option for me. I'll only use it if I can see the bike, if I can't, I'll find somewhere else to stop for food. On the rare occasion I actually go out and bivy, I don't bother locking it up
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

Small cable lock for me too - not so much for when you're actually bivvying, but when you visit civilisation for more pies and whisky etc. A few years back we swung through inverness and ended up at the big campsite there, we all had various locks and combined our bikes into a sort of lump which we pitched the tent pegs through. Seemed effective! :lol:

More seriously, it just needs one passing scrote with no sense to bugger off with your bike and chuck it into a ditch!
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

ScotRoutes wrote:You might also want to park it up, then flick through all the gears without turning the cranks. The resulting crunch might be enough delay to let you catch someone trying to make off with it :-)
Flick the QRs open. Anyone trying to pedal it off without noticing is going to get a surprise / be unable to make paid progress. So will I the one time I forget but so far been ok.
barney

Post by barney »

bit daft but I wrap a cable tie through the rear wheel

Very basic but it'll stop any chav riding off on your bike

ok its not a proper lock but it doesn't need a key, very small and lightweight
Wait for me...
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

Ah, I like the cable tie idea! And ofc you need a good handful to reattach stuff when your touring anyway :D
Todge

Post by Todge »

Same here with the cable ties through the wheel and frame if in café or quick shop visit, If I am in a busy campsite or area I use small lightweight but very loud personal alarm at night when bivvying and a length of fishing line to the bike/alarm.
Drinkin wine, eating cheese and catchin some rays
benp1

Post by benp1 »

All good ideas, but I'm not sure I could run somewhere down if it was the only place to eat! Will more research on the lightest cable lock option. The LOCK aspect is key, visual deterrent rather than actual. Stops someone coming out the pub slightly inebriated and seeing a good option for getting home more quickly etc