Daydreaming. Nice little winter routes?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rollindoughnut

Daydreaming. Nice little winter routes?

Post by rollindoughnut »

Last February, a mate and I rode most of the YD300 over 2 and a bit days. It was fantastic. Bitterly cold with snow up high and a savage first night, but rewarded with a blue sky day 2. What made the trip, apart from the magnificent scenery was that the riding was mostly on stony tracks. Indeed we only had one muddy section during the final day.

Looking for another route for this coming winter. Nothing too epic, we just want to ride 12hr days at a very chatty pace, and stop regularly to faff.
Coming from the SE so Scotland a bit far for a 3 dayer. (Have more ambitious plans for next summer). Wales is a much loved place but I do know the Brecon Beacons quite well now. Peak? Or Lakes? Lakeland 200 looks a bit too hike a bike for a fun trip. Kielder/borders?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Daydreaming. Nice little winter routes?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

One of the BB200 routes maybe?
May the bridges you burn light your way
ton

Post by ton »

last years Jennride route would be awsome over a couple of cold winter days.
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

Perfect! Thanks Ton.
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

I always imagine the Bearbones routes to be very natural and hence utter mudfests over winter. Is this unfair?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I always imagine the Bearbones routes to be very natural and hence utter mudfests over winter. Is this unfair?
They're all different and obviously they'll all change with weather conditions but generally speaking, they're no worse in that regard to anything else.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

A couple of years ago Stu and Ian Barrington put some routes together, Wildcat 200 (miles?) was one of them. I still have the route somewhere which I recall being mostly tracks. Could be an option with bothies on the route as well. Might be a nice mid Wales option out of Llandrindod Wells.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A couple of years ago Stu and Ian Barrington put some routes together, Wildcat 200 (miles?) was one of them. I still have the route somewhere which I recall being mostly tracks. Could be an option with bothies on the route as well. Might be a nice mid Wales option out of Llandrindod Wells.
Oh yes, I'd forgotten about that Kevin. Well ahead of the curve we were there as at first it was called the ' Two Ton 'o Gravel' but that was obviously before gravel entered popular cycling culture. A few squishy bits but overall decent tracks that would be largely unaffected by weather.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

^^^
The wildcat 100 route is on Komoot if that’s helpful or not?
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Talking about winter routes. I read aomewhere that the mtb-ing around the Malverns is incredibly winter friendly. Not sure how true it is (got the info off MBR I think who I'm not always convinced of) but I'm trying to make a 100km loop/8 figure if you want the details. There is a thread on here that I tried to invite comments/help on but possibly not many Malverners around these ends for the past coupla weeks... :smile: