Square Taper BB's

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Square Taper BB's

Post by Boab »

I'm about to relieve javatime of some Sugino VP cranks, which will be going on the Scandal frame. They require a square taper bottom bracket, but I've no idea which of the various options I should be going for. I'm assuming it's the 73mm shell option, but it's the spindle width that's got me confused.com. The Shimano UN300 British Thread for example, comes in 113mm, 118mm and 122.5mm spindle widths. Which one do I need...?
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearlegged

Re: Square Taper BB's

Post by Bearlegged »

A bit of Googling suggests JIS taper (not ISO), and folk have got them to work with 115mm, 118mm and even 122.5mm spindles. I suspect 118mm would be a good starting point, but these things don't always have one perfect answer. 68mm/73mm you can check easily by measuring the BB shell's width.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

113 or 118 were the usual ones back in the day for a triple. The Jones has a 118 and the Kramp a 113...
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

It’s mostly dependent on the cranks - they are/were designed to fit a particular bb axle length. As Bearlegged points to there are also two (at least two?) taper standards JIS and ISO. Shimano stuff and most other more modern being JIS.
Your frame and to a certain extent preference are going to have some bearing on it as well.
All that said, there’s usually a pretty big margin of what will work as long as the axle isn’t too short.
Looks like Bearlegged did the leg work ( :roll: ) for you though.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Boab

Post by Boab »

lune ranger wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:49 pm Looks like Bearlegged did the leg work ( :roll: ) for you though.
Looks like his Google-fu is better than mine! 🤣
Rutland have the Shimano BB-UN300 on sale. I think I'll wait for the cranks to turn up to try and roughly measure what I need.

Thanks all.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.