Yet another sleeping mat thread.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

Yet another sleeping mat thread.

Post by lune ranger »

I’m looking to kill two birds with one stone here.
I’m looking for something warmer than a Synmat 7 M for me to use on the rare days I’m out when it’s below freezing. It also needs to serve my Mrs in the summer to keep her comfortable when we are family camping.
I’m thinking Downmat 9 LW despite the hefty weight.
I think it needs to be a wide mat as my Mrs really doesn’t like the narrow mats she’s tried.
Anything else I should be looking at?
Cheers.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
RIP

Re: Yet another sleeping mat thread.

Post by RIP »

non-down Winterlite? Only 40-50g more than the Synmat I think. Well mine is anyway.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Exped Downmat HL MW should do the trick.
Not sure what type of Synmat you're talking about, but the regular Synmat 7 is heavier than the Downmat HL MW and by far less 'warm'.
Used the Downmat at -30 and still felt warm from beneath. Mine is just a bit more than 600 g.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Alpinum wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:36 pm Exped Downmat HL MW should do the trick.
Not sure what type of Synmat you're talking about,
Thanks for the input both.
I have a Synmat 7 M. Which is ok for almost all of my use.
I was pretty cold using it last week in sub-zero temps with a bag that should have been fine.
I have my eye on a used Downmat 7 LW on a popular auction site. If I loose out there my second option is a Downmat 9 UL Winter in LW varient.
I’m not so bothered by the weight/bulk as it’ll only be taken bikepacking a couple of times a year.
My Mrs definitely wants a wide rectangular mat… which got me looking at this :shock:

https://www.outdoorclothing.co.uk/equip ... -lw-p17971

I’m tempted to sack-off getting one that I could use as well and getting one of these mama’s!
WSC
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

lune ranger wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:33 pm I was pretty cold using it last week in sub-zero temps with a bag that should have been fine.
Perhaps worth checking if the insulation is still in place.
Mine came undone, leaving loosely coiled up (usually) at the foot end rather than hanging in there over the full length. Made a huge difference, from being just about warm enough down to about -15 °C to feeling cold from the ground at about +5 °C(!). I realised this after ~100 nights. In for replacement.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Is there a way to check that other than patting it down? It is a few years old (and second hand) but has been looked after pretty well.
It was probably only -2*C last week used with a Lamina Z bag (-6*C rated ,0*C comfort). I would normally consider myself a warm sleeper and never had any trouble with a trad Thermarest in cold weather. Maybe I’m just getting old :sad:
WSC