Croix De Fer Tyres

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

GJWHands

Croix De Fer Tyres

Post by GJWHands »

I'm a newbie to Bike Packing and looking for some kind advice please for suitable tyres to use on my Croix De Fer 30 for the WRT event in April, currently use the CDF for commuting daily on road/track with Gravelking 700x32c tyres but they have poor puncture resistance and need something a bit tougher for this event.
Thank you for your wisdom and hope to see you on 30th April. :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Croix De Fer Tyres

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I reckon that much will depend on the weather prior and also, where you decide to go. In theory, there'd be nothing to prevent someone riding the WRT and never leaving tarmac ... however, I'm not advising that as it might be a little boring but then again?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Boab

Post by Boab »

My advice would be to get the biggest your frame will take, which should be 45mm for your frame, assuming you're running 700c wheels. WTB Resolute's are generally well regarded and have good puncture resistance, I ran some last year and they were OK in the dry, not so much when it was wet or muddy. I switched to 45mm Pirelli Cinturato™ Gravel M in 45mm flavour for the BB200 and again, they've been good on puncture resistance, and they were great in the dry, but all over the place when it was wet. I found the Cinturato's were comfier than the Resolute's, is so far as I felt less beaten up by them, and spent less time wishing I was running even higher volume 650b tyres...

If I don't get this Scandal built up time for the WRT, then I'll be running Cinturato™ Gravel M in 700c x 45mm flavour.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
GJWHands

Post by GJWHands »

Boab wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:36 pm My advice would be to get the biggest your frame will take, which should be 45mm for your frame, assuming you're running 700c wheels. WTB Resolute's are generally well regarded and have good puncture resistance, I ran some last year and they were OK in the dry, not so much when it was wet or muddy. I switched to 45mm Pirelli Cinturato™ Gravel M in 45mm flavour for the BB200 and again, they've been good on puncture resistance, and they were great in the dry, but all over the place when it was wet. I found the Cinturato's were comfier than the Resolute's, is so far as I felt less beaten up by them, and spent less time wishing I was running even higher volume 650b tyres...

If I don't get this Scandal built up time for the WRT, then I'll be running Cinturato™ Gravel M in 700c x 45mm flavour.
Thank you Boab, noted.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

If you don't want to go tubeless then Conti AT or speed rides are good (and half the price of conti gravel tyres) both are 42mm although the AT rides come up a little less than that. I've used both in a mix of terrain including stuff thats wholly inappropriate for a gravel bike and come out sunny side up.
GJWHands

Post by GJWHands »

fatbikephil wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:05 pm If you don't want to go tubeless then Conti AT or speed rides are good (and half the price of conti gravel tyres) both are 42mm although the AT rides come up a little less than that. I've used both in a mix of terrain including stuff thats wholly inappropriate for a gravel bike and come out sunny side up.
Thank you Phil,
Cost is a consideration, also like tubes for ease of change, however on this event I'm thinking pinch punctures might be an issue, I was thinking of going tubeless with slime then taking a spare foldable tyre in case of a tear.
I have a Croix De Fer not a mountain bike, so no suspension other than the air pressure. I do however enjoy a bit of a trek but mainly on gravel to date, Im looking for something that can do all terrain in order to get the most out of the event and enjoy a challenge, so long as its realistic for the bike.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

If you want to go indestructible then schwalbe marathon mondials are good (but can be pricey - I got mine from Spa cycles for £25 ea) They are a bit on the heavy side but will not puncture and are surprisingly grippy.....
GJWHands

Post by GJWHands »

I think I've just found the answer to the tyre issue for this event:

The Jetson One fully electric flying bike :grin:

at £68,000 it might be a bit overkill and may need a few charging points along the way.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What's the max tyre size on these?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

fatbikephil wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:49 pm If you want to go indestructible then schwalbe marathon mondials are good (but can be pricey - I got mine from Spa cycles for £25 ea) They are a bit on the heavy side but will not puncture and are surprisingly grippy.....
Comes to mind what I just ordered at my local bike shop for my girlfriends everyday bike:

https://r2-bike.com/SCHWALBE-tyre-G-ONE ... eflex-2021

RaceGuard & DoubleDefence and SnakeSkin should make for a reliable casing. I only have experience with SnakeSkin, it's standard for the Performance line of Schwalbe's mtb tyres and in my experience is a bit tougher than Maxxis' EXO casings, which both are meant to feel at home for trail biking. DD and RaceGuard will help further I guess. Oh.. and it comes with reflective bands.

Edit: CdF seems to take 45 mm rear and 50 mm front. Sorry, the above won't fit and it doesn't seem Schwalbe makes this specific tyre in narrower flavour.
GJWHands

Post by GJWHands »

Purchased and received this morning a set of Pirelli Cinturato 700x45c Gravel M tyres for the event, fitting them tonight tubeless with slime and the aid of CO2 cannisters.
First impressions are very good, should look the part and feels quality.
My Croix De Fer is almost complete now and looking forward to joining the WRT.
Route planned and these tyres may come in handy :wink:
GJWHands

Post by GJWHands »

After scratching my head trying to find the BBcodes on my phone, realise now that BBcodes only get generated from desktop/laptop computers.
I'm hoping these will now display?
ImageCroix De Fer Gravel Bike by Julian Hands, on Flickr