There 'n back ... DETAILS SENT.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

HopeValleyPaul

Re: There 'n back ... DETAILS SENT.

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

Afternoon trip to the map shop for me, and maybe a bit of drunken route planning!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Details for There 'n back are now winging their way into your inbox ... if they don't arrive:

1/ Check your spam folder.

2/ Check all your email accounts.

3/ If it's still nowhere to be found email me and I'll re-send it.

Ta.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Chew

Post by Chew »

GENIUS :D
Now where sells the best warm sausage rolls!!!!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Had a very quick look at all the grid points on mm they are fairly well spaced anyone got any ideas for may be a pub stop on sat evening for food n beer for a gaggle of riders before we head our seperate ways?? Thats if anyones interested in food n beers :lol: :lol:
composite

Post by composite »

Not interested in food beers at all, not me, no sir. ;)
Ian

Post by Ian »

A route is forming that takes in the ones along the coast, a ride along the beach at Borth and bivvy in the sand dunes :D
slarge

Post by slarge »

I've never been to Aberystwyth, so that's on my list of places to ride through,plus I want to string a route of all the trails I know are good, and a few new ones to practice the hike a biking technique.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Ian, from the brief glance I've had at the coordinates I was thinking of something similar (but have gotten no further).

All, I'm beginning to think that I'm cursed when it comes to Bear Bones events.

So far every single event I've entered I've been unable to participate in due to one thing or another and the Spar 'n Back might well be going the same way.

We started the long, painful and bloody expensive process of getting our new son his passport just after he was born back in late October (as there was only just over two months until Christmas and we wanted to be sure that we were able to visit family).

Fast forward to Christmas Eve and instead of receiving the passport last minute we get a letter telling us that they'd only just gotten around to looking at our application and that they need more info - AAARGH!!!!!

So.....€45 poorer we've now sent the additional (unnecessary) info and will have to wait and hope that the little guys passport arrives in time for Spar 'n Back.

To say that I'm displeased with 'her majesty's insane levels of beaurocracy office' would be something of an understatement but I'll keep my language clean as you never know when they're watching :?

Yours miffed, Gairy.
Mandicky

Post by Mandicky »

Hmmm, I was thinking of heading to Aberystwyth too! I was going to use a bit of Glyndwr's Way but then head down to Nant yr moch. Ride the trails at the back of Nant yr Arian and head to Aber. Follow the Ystwyth trail back out.... That's as far as I've got :) Bivvying in the sand dunes sounds windy.....
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Does anyone know which 1:50000 maps cover all the grid refs? its a lot of 1:25000 to carry as a backup to a gps
Cheers
Ben
Nick

Post by Nick »

Not sure there is an off the shelf map that will do it, but going to https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/c ... -maps.html and entering SN 868 006, will pretty much do the checkpoints but not the coast line and the Spar's in Aber.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Gairy, sorry to hear you may be missing again. Would it be easier to just have a French son;-) Good luck getting it sorted.
composite

Post by composite »

Are there any pizza joints closer to Llanbrynmair than Mach?
Thinking of coming the Friday night now but I have to have pizza the night before a big ride. :D
Matt

Post by Matt »

:D
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Are there any pizza joints closer to Llanbrynmair than Mach?
Thinking of coming the Friday night now but I have to have pizza the night before a big ride.
Neil ... maybe pick one up on your way through Newtown? Otherwise it's Mach' or bugger all really.
composite

Post by composite »

Fair shout I might just go up to Mach after checking in to the B&B... which ever one I end up booking.
Mattie_H

Post by Mattie_H »

Route planning with a couple of beers on a Monday evening here. Does anyone have any idea what those dunes north of Borth / around Ynyslas would be like for bivvying? Last time I was there (which is a while ago now) it was all a bit too much like dogging central...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Route planning with a couple of beers on a Monday evening here. Does anyone have any idea what those dunes north of Borth / around Ynyslas would be like for bivvying? Last time I was there (which is a while ago now) it was all a bit too much like dogging central...
The dunes close to the visitor centre at Ynyslas should be okay ... as would the visitor centre itself* ;)

Sorry but I don't know what time the dogging starts or what the procedure is. :?

*it's still outside.
Chew

Post by Chew »

composite wrote:Are there any pizza joints closer to Llanbrynmair than Mach?
Thinking of coming the Friday night now but I have to have pizza the night before a big ride. :D
We're planning on heading over on Friday night and biving out somewhere near to Llanbrynmair and stopping for a pint and a meal somewhere. If you fancy joining us (or anyone else) you'll be more than welcome
Mattie_H

Post by Mattie_H »

s8tannorm wrote:
The dunes close to the visitor centre at Ynyslas should be okay ... as would the visitor centre itself* ;)

Sorry but I don't know what time the dogging starts or what the procedure is. :?

*it's still outside.
Thanks Stuart, that's really useful.

If you can do the bivvy tips, I can handle the dogging. Purely in an academic sense, you understand.
sillybigfella

Post by sillybigfella »

I'm thinking of heading north towards Dolgellau and circumventing the Cadair Massif.

Am I the only one NOT going to the massive dogging sesh in Borth??
I’ve been abart a bit
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

In my opinion both biviing and dogging in sand dunes have similar problems.......................sand, it gets everywhere ;) .
slarge

Post by slarge »

Someone told me that the etiquette for dogging is to arrive early, set up the observation post and leave the interior light on. Oh yeah - wear lycra, that'll either work for you or against you (depending on what you want).
:D

Could be embarrassing if someone had their camera going........
composite

Post by composite »

slarge wrote: Could be embarrassing if someone had their camera going........
That's not the sort of ride video I had in mind.

Serious question, would you tie the tarp lines to rocks in the dunes?
Mike

Post by Mike »

was heading to borth to sleep on porch area of visitors centre, as it looked like a great spot on the wrt last yr as i passed through had to have a look. Change of plan though now heading NE to grids out that way and then S to llyn clywedog and back through hafren. Some new riding for me out that way to be had