Nasty

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

The Cumbrian

Re: Nasty

Post by The Cumbrian »

Not as bad as that, but when I was a kid I was bombing through an alleyway on my BMX when all of a sudden I was lifted off my bike. The last thing I remember before cracking my head on the pavement was my bike continuing on without me. When I came to I saw a wire rope stretched across the alley, and I continued home (only about a quarter of a mile away) with a woozy head and a sore throat. I had a livid mark on my throat for a few weeks (fortunately the skin wasn't broken) and a concussion, and my dad went around to have a very serious conversation with the bloke who'd rigged it up.
It turned out it wasn't malicious, he was just trying to set up something to do with his CB aerial and stupidly hadn't set a watch on the alley.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
gairym

Post by gairym »

My little brother was taken off his bike by barbed wire rigged across a popular trail waaaaay back in the late eighties in sunny Rotherham (I do not miss living there!).

Broke the skin at each side of his neck but the barbs all missed everything important - some proper psychos out there!
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Wow, why would someone do that?
slarge

Post by slarge »

Shewie wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:26 pm Wow, why would someone do that?
Because (in their twisted bigoted mind) "they shouldn't be there".... Stories like this worry and disappoint me. People have been killed by these wiretraps. :cry:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

We've not had any wire traps yet (thankfully) but our local trails which are used and maintained with the knowledge of the landowner have been sabotaged on a few occasions recently. Although there were no wire traps some of the damage (which has been extensive) would lead to a big crash if you rode into it without realising. It's got to the stage now where I get off and recce some of the steeper features before riding them in case they've been sabotaged. It's incredible how reckless these saboteurs are with regards to endangering trail users.
FLV

Post by FLV »

slarge wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:54 pm
Shewie wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:26 pm Wow, why would someone do that?
Because (in their twisted bigoted mind) "they shouldn't be there".... Stories like this worry and disappoint me. People have been killed by these wiretraps. :cry:
Shame the Police won't treat it as such.

If a cyclist set a trap for a pedestrian that deliberately endangered said pedestrians life, it would likely end up in a prison sentence (rightly so). I doubt they would even follow it up though.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

The mind boggles, it really does

Potentially life changing consequences
Loki

Post by Loki »

When I lived in Plymouth this used to happen every so often on the local trails, the police caught the offenders a couple of times, thankfully most traps did no harm. I think most offences are committed by people of a certain age and wealth bracket, the same people who never wanted to share stuff as kids either.
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com